Out of the box...does not fly
2198 11 2014-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nrewerts
New

United States

I have stuggled with the "out of the box" ready to fly concept of the Phantom 1.  Mine has flown about 45 seconds and will not fly.  I have downloaded the software, ran all the checks and calibrations.  There is a flashing yellow sign at the bottom of the window on it but no way of knowing what the error is as nothing opens.  

After the normal start up procedure I am left with the aircraft flasing a red light 4 times over and over.  

Can anyone help me with this?

Nathan

2014-12-26
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

You have to be more clear.
Can you take it outside and do the NAZA dance and get the Phantom to calibrate it's compass?

See this page and the video in the middle under "calibrate your compass".
http://www.droneflyers.com/2014/ ... ed-guide-beginners/

(FC40 and P1 are generally the same thing).

The 4 RED LED's may indicate a problem - from DJI FAQ

"System initializing and self-checking LED flashes" are not correct (Red LED appears in the last four green flashes).
The autopilot system works abnormally. Please contact your dealer.
2014-12-26
Use props
cbx1963
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Nathan take a look here http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en and here Led Codes

it sounds like your running before you can walk , follow the top guide and should be good to go.
2014-12-26
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It should be mentioned that "ready to fly" out of the box is in a comparative sense. Older quadcopters needed to be built from kits of scratch and involved vast amounts of time and tuning. The Phantoms are as close as you can get (in the present time) to RTF....but still require a number of mechanical, technical and piloting skills.
2014-12-26
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Read the manual at least twice. You can download it at http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-fc40/download
Download and install the drivers and NAZA Assistance programs from DJI as well and install them in that order. (Use the same link above)
After running Naza Asst, check for firmware updates. The latest Firmware for the FC40 is Version 4.02 (as of 12/16/2014) Go ahead and install the new firmware if needed.
After the software update, sometimes NAZA switches the transmitter to PPM automatically, and might need to be changed back to D-BUS before the Remote will connect to the FC40. This is recognizable by flashing yellow lights on the FC40 and the remote will not connect to the FC40.( Credit Tim Hoffland )
I don’t believe the remote controller has an available update as of this writing, but to check you’ll need to download the RC Asst program. The micro USB connector is located INSIDE the remote. You’ll need to take out the four screws in the back to separate the shell. Be careful, there are wires attaching the two pieces. Be careful not to damage them. Try to leave the antennae in place. It’s a PITA to get back into position. There are a few youtube videos on this. My best advice; leave the remote alone as there isn’t an update for it anyway that I know of.
With the remote controller and theFC40 turned on (turn the remote controller on FIRST) and take the props off, Hook it up to your computer with the USB cable. Run NAZA Assistant. The LED on the FC40 should turn solid green when connected to Naza Asst.
Under the "Advanced" tab, choose the "IOC" tab and activate it.
Under "F/S", make sure it is set to "Go-Home and Landing"
Under "Limits", set them at something reasonable. 2000 yards is useless. You can use these to keep it close to you while you learn. Something like 200-300 would be better at first. Remember, these are Meters, not feet.
Under the "Basic" tab, click on "R/C". At the bottom you will see a horizontal line. At the right end of it is an arrow that will bring up a pull down menu. Change it to "Failsafe"
( Credit Darwin Teague )
New Note. To make changes to the Naza, you muct press your "Enter" button on your keyboard for it to take effect)
See image
Now when you put the right hand switch(S1) to the bottom, it will activate the "Return to Home, Fail Safe" function. Now you will notice that when you move the S2 (left side) switch down on your remote, the corresponding action will appear in the Naza Asst. IE :GPS, ATTI and Fail Safe modes.
When you bring the left hand switch(S2) to the bottom (Home Lock), the quad will fly the direction you move the right stick, regardless of which way it is facing. When in the middle position you will be in Control lock, which corresponds to the remotes position, and the FC40s compass position
Now do an advanced IMU calibration. You might get a warning about it “Being too hot” You can ignore this warning and proceed.
Now, take you FC40 outside and face it forward (battery facing front), turn the remote on, plug the battery in and WAIT. You will hear several ascending tone beeps and the LED flashing, this is normal. Then you will see a blinking green LED followed by up to three blinking red LEDS. This is when the FC40 is acquiring satellites. As the FC40 acquires satellites the number of red LEDs becomes less and less. Eventually you will have nothing but a slow flashing green LED.
During the start-up sequence you may notice the LED flashing greem 6 or so times very rapidly. This is the FC40 setting your GPS Home Point and your remotes Control Point. This is normal.
Now…we do the NAZA dance. You will need to calibrate your compass.
Flip your S1 switch all the way down and back up 3-4 times rapidly. The LED light on your FC40 will turn solid yellow. (Make sure you return your S1 switch back all the way up (GPS)
Now grab your FC40s landing gear from the back, lift it up and extend your arms out. Turn your body in a 360 degrees in a counter clockwise circle. The yellow LED light should turn green when you get back to the starting point (facing again forward). Now turn the FC40 facing down towards the ground so the LED light is facing up towards the sky. Hold it like this and rotate your body once again 360 degrees. When you get back to the starting point the green LED should start blinking slowly again. (You can search youtube for “Naza Dance” or “How to do a compass calibration, Phantom”)
Put your FC40 back on the ground and facing forward. The slow flashing green LED should now be facing you.
DO NOTHING AT THIS PIONT UNLES YOU HAVE A SLOW GREEN FLASHING LED. DO NOT FLY UNLESS YOU HAVE A SLOW FLASHING GREEN LED.
Time to fly!
MAKE SURE YOUR S1 AND S2 SWITCHES ARE BOTH IN THE UP POSITIONS.
Move both the Rt and Lft joysticks down and towards the inside corners of the remote. This will start your FC40s motors. The FC40 should be idling with no unbalancing…nice and smooth.
Now, move your left joystick all the way up to full throttle. Your FC40 should take off. Let go of the joystick (it will return to center automatically) once its about 10-15 feet up.
Let it hover a bit. Use your right joystick and move slightly left, right, forward and back. Just a little at a time, testing the movement and response.
HAPPY FLYING.
After landing there are two ways to turn your motors off.
1) Move the left joystick all the way down to its lowest position and hold it there for about 3 seconds.
2) Move both the Rt and Lft joysticks down and towards the inside corners of the remote
Check your batteries in the xmitter and Flight batteries. No lower than 5.8 volts for the 4 AA battery total in the Xmitter and no lower start flight voltage of 12.56 volts. I cover how to check batteries on my http://youtube.com/samowens44
(Thanks to Sam Owens)
Happy Landings.
A couple of side notes.
Although Ive never heard of it happening, some say that it could..
Turn off your FC40 first when done, then your remote. Some say there's a small chance that if you turn off the remote first the FC40 could enter Return to Home mode and well...that wouldn't be a pleasant experience if you're holding it.
Id use prop guards at first. You WILL tip it over and scrape up your blades. Damaged blades make your FC40 go all unbalanced and you don't want that.
Most remove prop guards after a short while.
Heres some basic part info specific to your FC40.
Battery. DJI 2200 Mah 3S.
Props. DJI 8045
Motors. DJI 2212
Prop guards DJI P330, spare part #019
Fly-aways.
Believe it or not FC40s really don't do this very often at all. What you read on the internet is about the P2s etc. The FC40 is a fancy P1. Most of the P2s Fly aways are pilot error...but some are not. Don't worry, the FC40 is VERY reliable.
Updating.
Like I mentioned. The last update is Ver. 4.02. I highly doubt DJI will update the Firmware anymore. Although the FC40 is still supported by DJI, it has been discontinued and no longer in production.
Fly in GPS mode (Both S1 and S2 switches in the full up position) until you learn how this thing flys.
Can you lose your FC40 even in GPS mode.
Yes you can. The most common reason is the pilot loses the orientation of the FC40. If you lose you orientation you will panic. The FC40 may go in the opposite or random direction than you expected, making your situation worse.
What to do?
The first thing is to flip your S2 switch all the way down to its lowest position. This is "Home lock" and move your right joystick all the way down to its lowest position. Your FC40 should then faithfully return to your position. When you regain orientation flip the S2 back up and you're gtg again.
Watch your flight times.
Running out of power in flight is a huge problem. The first signal of low power is a red blinking LED in flight. Time to bring it home. But even better is to TIME your flights. Get a smal0 digital kitchen timer and stick it on your remote.
I bring my FC40 home around 9 minutes of flight time and without any red LEDs blinking at me.
The easiest way for me to learn was to take off in GPS mode and go up and higher than anything around me. Let go of the left joystick and just use the right joystick to go different directions, figure 8s etc bring it home, then land. The FC40 will maintain a reasonable orientation if you don't use the left stick.
You'll have to learn ATTI mode eventually....try it by flipping your S1 switch down one position. Do this on a calm day at a big park. Remember, if it gets out of control and you panic, flip the S1 switch back up to the top (GPS mode) flip the S2 switch down all the way, rt stick down and she'll come home.
Remember. Altitude usually WINS.
When in doubt go higher than anything around you. If you use Home lock or Control Lock and you're lower than the trees your prob going to run into them.
Altitude wins.

2014-12-26
Use props
nrewerts
New

United States

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-27 08:39
Read the manual at least twice. You can download it at http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-fc40/downl ...

I have gone through all of this and my conclusion is this...the command stick will not calibrate "t" which I believe is the throttle control.  The indicator is slammed to the right side when calibrating brings the other three into correct calibration.  I assume this is sending a signal that the aircraft does not like and may be the root of my issue.  How do I adjust the stick calibration?
2014-12-29
Use props
nrewerts
New

United States

I have gone through all of this and my conclusion is this...the command stick will not calibrate "t" which I believe is the throttle control.  The indicator is slammed to the right side when calibrating brings the other three into correct calibration.  I assume this is sending a signal that the aircraft does not like and may be the root of my issue.  How do I adjust the stick calibration?
2014-12-29
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A DJI rep may have to answer that. If you are unable to do it in the Assistant software.

The Throttle stick SHOULD be up against the end - not centered like the others. That's because it starts at 0, not centered. But I think that's up against the left size in the NAZA assistant sw.

Maybe you accidentally reversed that channel in the assistant? There is a button to the right of each channel slider for normal and reverse, I think.
2014-12-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

nrewerts@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-30 12:20
I have gone through all of this and my conclusion is this...the command stick will not calibrate "t" ...

I assume that you have a DJI Tx that has the spring loaded throttle that sets at 50% automatically.  If so have you used RC Assistant to calibrate your Tx?  Not the Phantom Assistant but the RC Assistant.  It is available on the DJI.com website.  Let us know if that works for you.
2014-12-29
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ed, does the P1 TX have a usb port to connect to it? Maybe it's inside?
2014-12-30
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2014-12-31 00:01
Ed, does the P1 TX have a usb port to connect to it? Maybe it's inside?

Yes...the USB port is inside the Tx.  You have to remove the 4 screws and open it. Be careful, theres a wire atached to the other half of the shell.
The antenea is a PITA top get 'right' back in place.  There is a good Youtube vid of how to get the antenae reseated correctky.  
2014-12-30
Use props
g2ady
New

United Kingdom

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-27 08:39
Read the manual at least twice. You can download it at http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-fc40/downl ...

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I realise I'm hijacking a thread here but I'm a new Phantom owner and haven't flown yet. Your breakdown has been a big help today as I prepared for a maiden flight tomorrow
2015-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules