Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying the osmo and I would be happy to get few answer before that.

1. The osmo sound track recording is stereo?

2. If yes, when I connect external sound source, the internal mic continue recording on one channel and the external on the other..?

3. The external  PL input is stereo..? Can I connect to it 2 different sources?

4. Everyone suffer from bad audio after the last update..? The recorded sound is  not usable at all?  Can you describe the problems with it?

5. I never saw anyone asking about sound monitoring during record. How can I hear what's being recorded in real time?

6. The app also get sound feed or only video?

7. Can I connect another phone to osmo at the same time?
It can be really helpful to my opinion if one photographer is moving the device and the other one is controlling the direction of the camera.  It could help to make difficult shots.

I would be happy to get some advice before purchasing.

Thanks.
Moshe.

2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi,
1) The mic sound track is mono.
2) When the external mic is inserted, the internal one will stop recording.
3)Sorry I can't understand, please provide more details.
4) The internal mic might be noisy, but the external mic can works well.
5)Live audio monitoring is not available, you can use extra MIC which can support this function. Such as Shure VP83F.
6)App use mobile mic to record audio, files in the SD card use the handle mic.
7) Osmo can only support 1 device connection at one time.
2016-1-5
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-1-5 17:32
Hi,
1) The mic sound track is mono.
2) When the external mic is inserted, the internal one will sto ...

Hi Moshe.mmm,

your list of question suggests that you are working for ambitious projects and thus looking for the right equipment. And you are visiting this forum before you purchase, that´s very smart. Wish I would have done that too... ;-)

Just to mention my recommendation right away: I guess you´ll do better in waiting until DJI has fixed at least the essential issues of the buggy Osmo. So far it is not usable for what you seem to be after. But the Osmo for sure has its potential - DJI just needs a whole lot of time for fixes first.

Let me point out to your question #4 (and Amy, please don´t confuse this brave potential Osmo customer by not telling the whole truth you sure know about):

4) No, even with an external Mic you do not get somewhat usable results (thats nothing new since the last FW update but has been a bug ever since and was not fixed so far). As you can read in many threads within this forum there are at least 2 major issues with the audio recording even with external mic:
- Audio and video are not in synch. You´ll have to manually and time consumingly fix that in post production.
- The Audio recording has some "clicks" every few seconds (even with ext. mic), probably due to some other synching issue.

And make sure your external mic is decoupled from the Osmo grip while the fan noise otherwise will be transferred to your audio recording via solid-borne sound. But thats just a matter of connection ;-)

If you can live with the Clicks and extra Synching effort - go for it! The gimbal stabilization is great and the Drift and other uncontrollable movements are now almost fixed with the latest FW update.
If you can´t live with the audio bugs - wait for DJI to get them fixed fiirst. Chances are good that they will. But when? ...

Just my 2 cents
2016-1-5
Use props
ke-now
lvl.3
Australia

Audio is not a strength of the Osmo. The internal mic might actually make you cry when you hear it.

The Rode accessory mic is nice. Mono is not perfect, but fine for recording basic things.

You want good stereo audio? You need an external recorder and external mic, indie filmmaker style.  You *could* attach your audio recorder to the Osmo (with the universal mount) for monitoring audio levels. But you'd still need to make sure your mic was placed away  from the Osmo due to the noise of the Osmo fan and gimbal. Again, filmmaker style.

Lapel mics for example would work fine, boom mic, or mic mounted on separate tripod. You could mount a shotgun mic on Osmo (such as the Rode). Personally, if I got the Rode, I would record to an external recorder rather than the Osmo. (depends on how professional your shoot).

2016-1-5
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

DJI-Amy2,  martin94b, ke-now,
2016-1-5
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

Thank you all for your important input. I can overcome all of issues except the sound clicks you mentioned martin.  Can you please upload a sample for me to hear it? Appreciate your kind help guys, and hope to hear about a fix coming soon.
2016-1-5
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

P.s I  believe that sending audio feed to the app is something basic that you guys in developing should consider. Everyone who consider video recording with audio recording has to monitor the sound the all time. It's essential. I for example intended to use wireless audio transmission with neck mic.  If the mic touch the interviewer zipper for an example, the sound will become useless and I have to be aware of that in real time, so that is why audio real time monitoring is essential. Is it complex to transfer also the audio to the app? Thank. Moshe.
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is now a DJI mic available fro the Osmo.
http://store.dji.com/product/osmo-rode-videomicro
2016-1-5
Use props
setiawan3d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7861 ft
Indonesia

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2016-1-5 21:09
Thank you all for your important input. I can overcome all of issues except the sound clicks you men ...

Hi Moshe.mmm, perhaps my sample can be your reference.

This video is intended for location surveying purpose, for our upcoming event. So, I don't polish anything, and using Internal Mic only. I haven't tried with external mic attached.

From my experience so far, I never considered the DJI Osmo as a one-man-tool for everything even though it can accept external audio input. Besides, the audio capability has been noted in the manual, used for reference only. When combined with other camera, like this recent business tips presentation video, it really helps a lot.
2016-1-5
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2016-1-5 22:09
Thank you all for your important input. I can overcome all of issues except the sound clicks you men ...

Hi Moshe.mmm,

while the internal mic is known to be - well - "less performant", here you can find a video with audio being recorded via an external mic. There you can observe the clicks:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-36828-1-1.html

And Ken, nice that DJI now sells an extra mic which is supposed to fix the buggy internal mic and tries to get even more money out of your stupid cach cows (i.e. us customers). Too bad that your "solution" does not work either while the clicks are not an issue of the mic but the Osmo itself...

What a great business idea: implement a bug within an expensive device and then sell the frustrated customers another expensive bugfix which doesn´t fix the bug either and so on...

Only good thing about it (again):
The audio click bug could likely be fixed with a FW update. But when? And will the update finally be installable or one more time brick the entire device?
2016-1-5
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2016-1-5 22:23
P.s I  believe that sending audio feed to the app is something basic that you guys in developing sho ...

The audio is the limit part of Osmo, live audio monitoring is not an easy function, Osmo is not a one solution for all cases, it has it's limitation. Considering the price and the performance of stabilization, I think it make sense that it can't provide professional audio function and just provide a basic audio function instead. The firmware is not perfect now, that's what we need to improve in the following days.
2016-1-5
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-1-6 07:30
The audio is the limit part of Osmo, live audio monitoring is not an easy function, Osmo is not a o ...

"...Considering the price and the performance of stabilization, I think it make sense that it can't provide professional audio function ..."

I think that you're probably right. My main interest in the Osmo is that it will give me something that my video camera can't -- picture stabilization while moving -- and at a much lower cost than the use of a much more expensive gimbel). The Osmo will be used *in addition* to my main camera.

Anyway, I've just purchased a Edutige ETM-008 microphone which has (according to all reports) very good side and rear sound rejection, and so should get round the gimbel motor noise. And with the Osmo's accessories being delivered in an hour or so (and only 2 weeks after ordering them from my local supplier) it will be interesting to see how this combination overcomes the internal mic's shortcomings.
2016-1-6
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-1-6 09:30
The audio is the limit part of Osmo, live audio monitoring is not an easy function, Osmo is not a o ...

Thank you Amy for the honest replay.

As I said, I can overcome al of the problems with the osmo that mentioned here except for the clicks in the sound track that being recorded. As every editor know, when there is a defective piece of audio that already recordered, it's not possible to fix it.
So this is what stops me from buying the osmo.

Amy, in an assumption, how much time it would take for a fix to the clicks issue and the out of sinc issue to be released?
If you can't provide the answer yet, can you at least say if it is a matter of days? or weaks, or even months..??

This would realy be helpfull to me to choose whether to buy or not.
Thank you.
Moshe.
2016-1-6
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

setiawan3d Posted at 2016-1-6 01:40
Hi Moshe.mmm, perhaps my sample can be your reference.

This video is intended for location surveyi ...

setiawan3d, thank you for your helpful sample.

I noticed that the clicks (sometimes it sounded like cracks) are not occurring in a symmetrical periodes.
Sometimes there is a large amount of time until the next click occure.

I'm thinking of the osmo because it could be a one man crew complete tool if the sound would be decent.
For a small productions..
2016-1-6
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2016-1-7 08:17
Thank you Amy for the honest replay.

As I said, I can overcome al of the problems with the osmo t ...

Sorry that I can't give you an exact answer, I know it might be disappointing to you, but the truth is we're still in the process of locating reason for this problem and lacking of enough files and problem product to test. If you want the perfect audio, I think Osmo will not be a perfect solution, you might need extra professional audio recording devices and combine the video and audio in the post-editing, I think many software can do this. Again, as I said, it depends on what kind of videos you want to shoot? It's not a one for all solution.
2016-1-6
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

martin94b Posted at 2016-1-6 08:38
Hi Moshe.mmm,

while the internal mic is known to be - well - "less performant", here you can find ...

martin, the clicks problem existed in every fw from the beginning?
2016-1-7
Use props
Moshe.mmm
Second Officer
  • >>>
Israel

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-1-7 04:09
Sorry that I can't give you an exact answer, I know it might be disappointing to you, but the trut ...

Thank you Amy.
I believe this can be a one man solution for small productions only if the audio problem will be solved
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2016-1-7 22:24
Thank you Amy.
I believe this can be a one man solution for small productions only if the audio p ...

Thanks, we will try our best to improve that.
2016-1-7
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2016-1-7 22:22
martin, the clicks problem existed in every fw from the beginning?

I only started using Osmo with the November 11th FW.
My guess is that it has been an issue ever since, but not 100% sure.
2016-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules