Neutral Density Filters
1110 4 2016-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
garydamaschke
lvl.1

United States

I just bought an Osmo and plan on using it for real estate videos.  I am hoping that using it might cut down on the back end editing a bit.  One of the issues that I've seen expressed in other places is the window "blowout" issue which darkens the room significantly.  This is nothing new to me having used my dlsr for this in the past.  I have discovered the exposure ring which does cut down on the affect window blowout has on the video but I was wondering if a neutral density filter might help this issue as well.  I've seen both individual filters as well as a "variable" filters for sale.  Has anyone used the nd filters for this issue?  Any help would be much appreciated.
2016-2-3
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

Nd filters are a good investment for all video shoots.Closing or pulling the cutains to control the light is another option or the use of a light diffuser sheet to control the light
2016-2-3
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3

ND Filter is not gonna help you.
As I understand your problem with the bright window and the dark room inside you are facing a very dynamic light situation and that dynamic range cannot be captured by the Osmo.
If you take pictures you could shoot RAW or multiple shots for HDR to extend the dynamic range of your image, but not for the Osmo ;-(

A ND filter would only lower the entire light situation leading to either a longer exposure time (which can be helpful for movies to get more smooth transitions) or increasing the ISO (and thus noise). But the dynamic range stays exactly the same, so its not solving your probem.

A gradient filter is helpful to reduce the dynamic range of landscape shooting, where usually the sky is very bright and the foreground / landmark pretty dark. So the gradient filter reduces that light from the sky but not from the ground and thereby "evens" the light conditions so your camera can capture the entire dynamic range at once.

For your window prblem you would need a dedicated selfmade ND filter just covering the bright window but not the room inside. And then dont move ;-)

But if your problem is not the dynamic range but simply the camera "underexposing" the room - then simply overexpose your recording by either setting e.g. + 1EV or moving the yellow exposure ring to a dark spot. BUT: the information inside the window will be lost due to saturation - if you can live with this limitation it´s simple as this. And again - the ND filter would not help you!
2016-2-3
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thanks for all of your responses. I think all of you deliver some good points.
To garydamaschke: Maybe facts speak louder than words. I think you can just have a try with a appropriate ND filter.
2016-2-4
Use props
garydamaschke
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-2-4 03:53
Thanks for all of your responses. I think all of you deliver some good points.
To garydamaschke: Ma ...

Thanks again to all who replied.   I have used the yellow exposure ring with some success....much better than not using it anyway.  Thanks again!
2016-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules