Is There A Way To Fly Outdoors From In The House?
3021 16 2016-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I know it sounds a bit mad but I thought it would be great to sit in the armchair in the house with the RC and a coffee whilst flying the Phantom outside! So I was wandering if there was an aerial extension of some sort (wired or wireless) that could be placed in the garden which would enable this scenario?
2016-2-10
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Depending on how far you want to fly, you can.  With my advanced I can sit in my house and fly around part of my yard.  My yard is 150 acres.  But with my standard,  not worth the trouble.  I just aim the remote out the window towards the P3 and fly around short range.  You could mod the r/c with an external antenna connector ( void your warranty ) if you are handy.  But really,  get some fresh air and sunshine,  man!!
2016-2-10
Use props
pfalcon
lvl.2

United States

Fresh air and sunshine seems so much more appealing when the temps outside aren't 15 degrees F.  And sunshine?  I haven't seen that fire ball in the sky in weeks...
2016-2-10
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

I think that it could be possible, just you need to set the home point outside your home once you go out, or in case of emergency your bird will land on your roof
2016-2-10
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I ask because there's a video on YouTube of a guy filming Blackpool Tower and at the end he lands the Phantom next to his car in which he is sitting, but on the roof of his car is, I think, some kind of antenna of some sort?  Have a look at the video in nrgwise's post (below) and see if you can make out what it is, it's at the very end of the video.
2016-2-10
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

It's probably possible...definitely illegal.
2016-2-10
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Tintin Posted at 2016-2-10 16:19
I ask because there's a video on YouTube of a guy filming Blackpool Tower and at the end he lands th ...

You took the link away.  I watched the video - had to turn off the horrible music.  There were times in that video that there was so much jello and shake it made me nauseous.  Seriously.

On his roof he has the antennas for the RC control and the FPV goggles he is using.  It looks like a typical FPV racing set-up for single unit flying.  And the shadow of his unit looks like a racer as well.  Probably why video is so shakey and full of jello.  Good for FPV, not for HD processing so much.
2016-2-10
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks nrgwise. I was trying to put that video on my post. When trying to add the video the little box asks for video link and text link. What is what? Thanks.
2016-2-10
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Tintin Posted at 2016-2-10 16:34
Thanks nrgwise. I was trying to put that video on my post. When trying to add the video the little b ...

In the box to put links, the top one is where you put the actual URL and the bottom is where you put the text you want to show.  However, if it is on youtube, chances are it will automatically embed in the post like above.
2016-2-10
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks dude! So, any idea what he had on the roof of his car?
2016-2-10
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-10 21:23
It's probably possible...definitely illegal.

Hi. How could that possibly be illegal?
2016-2-10
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Tintin Posted at 2016-2-10 22:34
Thanks nrgwise. I was trying to put that video on my post. When trying to add the video the little b ...

Looks like a tracker. Uses GPS coordinates from the drone to point the antennas in the right direction greatly increasing the signal range.
One of the things I never got around to try...
Seen it used in our RC club though, 433mhz RC, 900mhz telemerty and 1.2ghz video using highly directional antennas.

Not sure how one could apply this to a P3¨s lightbridge system but it would rock!
Have a look at how it works here a

2016-2-10
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tintin Posted at 2016-2-10 23:04
Hi. How could that possibly be illegal?

You have to keep visual line of sight with the drone, otherwise you can't detect & avoid other aircraft.
2016-2-10
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2016-2-10 23:04
Looks like a tracker. Uses GPS coordinates from the drone to point the antennas in the right direct ...

Thanks for the clarification Balthazar. For so long I have wandered what that was on his car! Great informative vid!
2016-2-10
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-10 23:16
You have to keep visual line of sight with the drone, otherwise you can't detect & avoid other air ...

Nigelw, I think I'm the only person with a Phantom in my area, so definitely no mid-air collision, lol. Thanks.
2016-2-10
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tintin Posted at 2016-2-10 23:23
Nigelw, I think I'm the only person with a Phantom in my area, so definitely no mid-air collision,  ...

It's not designed to protect your Phantom, it's to protect other air traffic, like helicopters.
2016-2-10
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

I knew people were getting lazier but this is ridiculous.I bet you facebook too.
2016-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules