Why No Camera Zoom? It Would Have Been Amazing!
12Next >
3197 42 2016-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

You would have thought that such an easy to implement feature, zoom, would have been built into the camera, especially with the amazing stability. I wonder why on earth they didn't implement this? The mind boggles! Unless they are saving it for the P4!
2016-2-16
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

They did. Fly closer.
2016-2-16
Use props
CFM01
lvl.2

United Kingdom

One day they may put a zoom on it but last time it was raised DJI were not that interested.
2016-2-16
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Because it's neither simple nor cheap.  It adds complexity, glass, weight & gimbal balancing issues.  It could be done digitally, but you can do that yourself in post.
2016-2-16
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

That is a very tall order. True, this could be done, but you are looking at a huge increase in costs as a result.  Adding in a Variable Aperture with such a small device I bet would increase the cost of the bird x2.
One day, I am sure this will be a norm with the technology improving so much and manufacturing costs lowers
2016-2-16
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

But use prop guards!
2016-2-16
Use props
gherd
lvl.2

Why buy an Inspire if options like zoom were available on the Phantom?  
2016-2-16
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

Several reasons, mostly being price.

Zoome lens are much more complex than prime lenses, and generally are poorer quality optically. It would also likely weigh a lot more, and probably require a new more capable gimbal. (more $$$)

A zoom lens would also likely have a smaller aperture, which would mean it would perform even worse then the current camera in lower light situations. The X5 is a perfect example this, most of the prime lenses for it are f1.7, whereas the zoom lens for it is an f3.5-5.6 lens

So a zoom lens would increase a lot (more expensive lens, more expensive gimbal), decrease the image quality, and reduce low light performance. Seems like a no brainer to stick with a prime lens to me.
2016-2-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"I wonder why on earth they didn't implement this? "

Because it's not easy and would cost a bundle and need a bigger drone to lift it all.
Look around at the competition - do any of them offer a zoom lens equipped camera?
I wonder why.
2016-2-16
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Shoot in 4K and zoom with that footage in your editor.
2016-2-16
Use props
Tintin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks guys! I often wondered about this... and now I know!
2016-2-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

For a real world example,  take a look at a security camera with optical zoom in a windy situation.  The more you zoom,  the more shakey the picture,  until it becomes unusable.  Our P3's  are pretty stable and the gimbals are pretty good,  but I am willing to bet that with an optical zoom they would be terrible.  And digital zoom,  well, it's not worth anything in my opinion.
2016-2-17
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-2-17 21:53
For a real world example,  take a look at a security camera with optical zoom in a windy situation.  ...

I don't think stability would be as big a problem as you think.  I've comfortably managed a 2 second exposure in 10-14mph wind.  Divide the shutter speed by the increase in focal length to get the minimum useable shutter speed & it all works out ok.  For example, a 5x zoom range from 20-100mm (35 equivalent) would need 2 seconds/5 @ 100mm, so 0.4 second.
2016-2-17
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

Will read a license plate from 1000 ft away. Wonder how much it costs.
http://aeryon.com/press-releases/aeryon-labs-introduces-the-aeryon-hdzoom30-imaging-payload-enabling-aerial-image-capture-at-30x-optical-zoom
2016-2-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-17 14:01
I don't think stability would be as big a problem as you think.  I've comfortably managed a 2 seco ...

Ok.  I have a security camera that uses 36x zoom.  It is mounted to a telephone pole.  When I zoom all the way,  it is very shakey.  Actually useless.  But that is at 36 zoom,  so I see your point.
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-2-18 06:04
http://aeryon.com/press-relea ...

WOW, looks pretty cool and probably thousands of dollars.
2016-2-17
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-17 15:31

Yeah! Here is the drone it was designed for, really interesting and about the same size as a Phantom 3. Might need to hit the lottery to pay for it though.

http://aeryon.com/aeryon-skyranger
2016-2-17
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-18 09:31

Around $120K
2016-2-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-2-17 14:04
http://aeryon.com/press-relea ...

Determine the thread count on a bolt from 1000 feet!!!  That is amazing.  My 36x zoom camera,  which shoots in 720p,  will not even come close to doing that
2016-2-17
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

I am sure that sooner or later another manufacturer will implement a digital zoom feature. Maybe then DJI would catch on
2016-2-17
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Because it weights more than 4.4 pounds you would probably need a pilots license to operate it. And, it would be a waste to limit it to a maximum altitude of 400 ft.
2016-2-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2016-2-18 12:27
I am sure that sooner or later another manufacturer will implement a digital zoom feature. Maybe the ...

DJI don't need to catch on. Digital Zoom is not a feature that should be provided on a camera system. If you want to zoom in on a digital image, do it in post production, where it is non-destructive and can be changed or reversed. If it is done in the camera, you don't have a second chance to get it right, whatever you select, you are stuck with.

In any event, no self-respecting photograpgher uses digital zoom, it simply destroys the resolution of the image.

2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Since it's built to military specs, I can see the reason why it's way expensive
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-18 10:16
DJI don't need to catch on. Digital Zoom is not a feature that should be provided on a camera syste ...

I think people want the zoom so they can have a live view and zoom in for a better look.
2016-2-17
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

This quadcopter-drone era is just getting started. Unless the government shuts it down or severely limits the capabilities of the user, it's only going to expand rapidly. Five years from now you'll probably see things on them that you never even thought about today.
2016-2-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-18 13:28
I think people want the zoom so they can have a live view and zoom in for a better look.

Yes, and in doing so perpetuate the idea that Drone = Pervert.
2016-2-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-18 10:39

That's for sure. Wait until the Stealth Mode props are released then with the zoom and no sound, then you can sneak up on your subject.
JK
2016-2-17
Use props
medijaa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 83960 ft
Bosnia and Herzegovina

nigelw Posted at 2016-2-16 20:47
Because it's neither simple nor cheap.  It adds complexity, glass, weight & gimbal balancing issues. ...

Friend their cameras in general is not cheap.
It costs $ 500,  is in the price range of
Canon D700 that is 10 times better than their cameras.
Note that you must have a tablet or phone to see what you're
shooting which further increases the cost ya at least $ 200
Which means that with DJs buy a good "webcam" for $ 700 and it's too expensive.
If we look at their camera as a camera then you should it cost $ 100 this kind of poop is now.
Here I am not talking about the craft only on camera.
2016-2-18
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-18 10:16
DJI don't need to catch on. Digital Zoom is not a feature that should be provided on a camera syste ...

I am not a professional photographer and don't ever intend on being one. I usually do not mess with post production. I often do not even record video when I fly.. sometimes I would just like to get a closer view of something in real time. Yes, I agree that if you are trying to put together a professional video, then doing it in post is ideal. For a drone enthusiast like me who may just want a closer look at something, this is a very desirable feature.
2016-2-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

medijaa Posted at 2016-2-18 20:48
Canon D700 ...

"Here I am not talking about the craft only the camera."
You're actually talking about a camera and gimbal.
There are a lot of sensors and electronics in the gimbal so that it can keep the camera level while flying.
Yes the camera sensor is smaller than on an SLR and it has to be to be able to fly.
The Phantom camera and gimbal are a masterpiece of miniaturisation and engineering.
It won't produce images as well as your SLR but your SLR won't fly either.
Drone photography is all about compromises
2016-2-18
Use props
medijaa
lvl.2
Bosnia and Herzegovina

I thoughts DJI Phanrom 3 Pro is everything except the Pro because if you're selling something like a
Pro version of the means to be used for professional purposes.Do not get me wrong here to understand, I did not say that the Phantom 3 bad.
It's a great aircraft but this is not the professional version of the camera as they say.
I pray that we then explain what it means to pro version of anything in the world of electronics?
2016-2-18
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

medijaa Posted at 2016-2-18 09:48
Canon D700 ...

I'm afraid you're way off the mark.  For $500 you get a camera & a gimbal.  Try buying a 3-xais stabiliser gimbal for a Canon D700 & then compare prices.
The camera itself is a very cheap camera.
2016-2-18
Use props
medijaa
lvl.2
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ok I agree with you just explain to me what is the professional version?
Phantom 3 Advanced has the same camera that was initially only HD 1080P
With the new firmware has received 2.7K which means that it's the same camera and that she can shoot 4K and "Pro version"
In fact we do not talk a lot about whether the camera is good or not (and in my opinion is not good)the price at which you sold and
I do not agree with their product name "Profesional" .
2016-2-18
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

medijaa Posted at 2016-2-18 12:54
Phantom 3 Advanced has the  ...

I agree, the camera is not professional.  It's just marketing & it works.

Any professional will not be fooled by such marketing.  Most professionals expect to pay a lot more for professional equipment.
2016-2-18
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-17 21:28

that makes sense, did not think of it that way.
I can see how that aspect would have some use for sure at times.

2016-2-18
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-17 21:39

sadly kinda true..lol
2016-2-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-2-18 23:13
that makes sense, did not think of it that way.
I can see how that aspect would have some use for  ...

Yes, my friend is retired from the government and went into business for himself and with the company he started this would come in handy.
2016-2-18
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-2-18
Use props
Riley-NZL
lvl.3

New Zealand

medijaa Posted at 2016-2-18 20:54
Phantom 3 Advanced has the  ...

It's just a name and a way to separate their products. To be fair, Pro is a pretty good term, pros are about the only people who would need to deliver in 4k. However, I know people using both advanced and pros for commercial uses.

Another point on the cost of the DJI camera vs the Canon camera you mentioned, is weight and size. Getting a camera and gimbal small and light enough to fit on an phantom is always going to cost more and come at the expense of image quality
2016-2-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Aerial photography is actually pretty un-demanding. Fixed focus, no great subtlety in separating objects using depth of field, it is really just a matter of getting the exposure right and that 's that. So, even if you could lift your expensive DSLR up there, there is not going to be a quantum difference in the results you get anyway.
2016-2-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules