Who is the manufacturer of the Phantom 4 sensor?
12Next >
10226 45 2016-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MM55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 628527 ft
Canada

I'm trying to determine if it is the "Sony Exmor" which is found in the Phantom 3?
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 12.37.00 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 12.36.16 PM.jpg
2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, I am afraid that I can't give you the answer since all these information we can provide are on the official website already.
2016-3-2
Use props
MM55
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Amy Posted at 2016-3-2 21:37
Hi, I am afraid that I can't give you the answer since all these information we can provide are on t ...

In all do respect, I've looked everywhere on the website and the closest I've come to a name/manufacturer of the sensor is in the image above, which was taken from the Phantom comparison page and it lists the name/manufacturer for all models except the Phantom 4.. However I might of missed it, can you just point me to where that information is.
2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

MM55 Posted at 2016-3-3 13:17
In all do respect, I've looked everywhere on the website and the closest I've come to a name/manuf ...

It is not available, since it's decided by the R&D, I am not aware of it too. I am sorry, please understand.
2016-3-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Sorry MM55 we do not give out that information.

Dave
2016-3-3
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-3-3 03:33

Why wouldnt that be info passed along to the consumer?
2016-3-3
Use props
MM55
lvl.2
Canada

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-3-3 03:33

That's disappointing considering that information is available for the other versions of the Phantom.  Phantom 3 Standard = Panasonic Smart, Phantom 3, Pro. and Adv. = Sony Exmor, Phantom 4 = ???? "we do not give out that information"  
2016-3-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-3-3 07:14

I'm sure it was made in the land of China so there all the same with different labels
2016-3-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-3-3 04:14

Decision was made at a higher pay grade than me. I do not know why.
The information may become available in the future.

Dave
2016-3-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

MM55 Posted at 2016-3-3 09:04
That's disappointing considering that information is available for the other versions of the Phant ...

The information may become available in the future.

Dave
2016-3-3
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-3-3 12:06
I'm sure it was made in the land of China so there all the same with different labels

You are correct, I wonder if its the same as the P3P and that if released alot would think nothing was changed on the camera etc.  Better to just avoid the brand and name
2016-3-3
Use props
mrGREEK360
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236414 ft
Canada

DJI-Dave Posted at 2016-3-3 12:17
The information may become av ...

Only reason not to tell us the sensor brand is because there is a lower quality sensor and not a big brand name sensor like Sony. I'm sure the sensor is better then the Sony sensor in the p3 in spec but Sony has amazing quality control vs some no name sensor from China. Hope you have DJI inspectors at the sensor factory 24/7 as off brand sensors from China tend to lower the quality during production to cut corners, this is why major manufactures that use China have employees to oversee the manufacture process so they don't cut corners and try to save money.

Every person I know who deals with China for manufacturing sends people to inspect before being shipped out, as once it's in the owners hands he has ZERO recourse in China if there was an issue due to manufacturing.

Someone is going to tear apart the phantom 4 like ifixit on day one and we will know what brand it is, so why keep secrets? If people who preorder find out the sensor is made by a junk company with a bad track record of making quality sensors then this is going to blow up in dji's face.

All I know is the videos I've seen from the phantom 4 like from Tested, have looked worse than the Phantom 3 so let's hope that's because Norm doesn't know how to use the shutter/ISO and in reality looks better but ATM I'm very skeptical it has a big improvement over the p3p 4k.

IMO it's a big mistake to use a sensor not from one of the big camera sensor producers, there is no way DJI saved more then 1$ per sensor so why take the risk with a off brand sensor and bad press? Risk is to high IMO, and it's shocking DJI doesn't see this.

For dji's sake the new sensor better outperform the song sensor in every way and that there is a positive noticeable difference in quality.

Secrets don't work in 2016, it justs makes consumers skeptical and put off purchasing till they know the truth, please rethink keeping secrets from your potential consumers as it's just bad business practice, especially in 2016 where all the consumrt s can talk about it. Reprimand the employees that decided this as it's just going to hurt DJI in the long run
2016-3-3
Use props
MM55
lvl.2
Canada

mrGREEK360 Posted at 2016-3-3 15:25
Only reason not to tell us the sensor brand is because there is a lower quality sensor and not a bi ...

I'm really hoping this is not the case.  I've already pre-ordered, and my only reason for choosing the Phantom 4 over the Phantom 3 Pro is having the same or better image quality with the new features added.  I am not overly impressed (note I'm comparing it to my DSLR) by the video quality or still image quality of the Phantom series, but after my research it was the best option under $2000 and I'm not about to put my DSLR in the air to get images.  I am really thinking if I should cancel my order until this gets sorted out.  
2016-3-3
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

> Secrets don't work in 2016, it justs makes consumers skeptical and put off purchasing till they know the truth, please rethink keeping secrets from your potential consumers as it's just bad business practice, especially in 2016 where all the consumrt s can talk about it.
couldnt agree more.
> Only reason not to tell us the sensor brand is because there is a lower quality sensor and not a big brand name sensor like Sony.
not sure about this one. Could just as well be Sony changing the licensing on allowing use of their name. Or it's acutally the same as a competitor, e.g. Gopro..
or your reason of course..

> there is no way DJI saved more then 1$ per sensor so why take the risk with a off brand sensor and bad press?
shockingly, that is true latest mobile Sony sensors are 10-13$

But the fact that their marketing is flat out ignoring the sensor (0 mentions) isnt the most conforting sign ..

[crosses fingers]

2016-3-4
Use props
MM55
lvl.2
Canada

mrGREEK360 Posted at 2016-3-3 15:25
Only reason not to tell us the sensor brand is because there is a lower quality sensor and not a bi ...

I hope someone does a tear down before mine gets delivered.   What could a consumer do if they find out months down the road that DJI uses cheaper sensors in their latest model?
2016-3-4
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

im not saying they used a knock off sensor,  I think as someone said above they will do a tear down and identify.  But makes you wonder if they improved on the Sony they would gladly advertise the fact
2016-3-4
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

They bought Hasselblad so im wondering if they are involved.
2016-3-4
Use props
MM55
lvl.2
Canada

fraggdya Posted at 2016-3-4 14:10

If that is the case "Happy days"
2016-3-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fraggdya Posted at 2016-3-5 06:10

No they didn't, Hasselblad bought into DJI. This is how silly rumours get started.

The specs for the P4 are the same as for the 3, so there is little reason to suggest the camera and its attendant video processor is any different. The P3 has a Sony Exmor imager and a Ambarella processor, so the P4 probably has too.
2016-3-4
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-5 03:40
No they didn't, Hasselblad bought into DJI. This is how silly rumours get started.

The specs for ...

Then how do you explain that they went from advertising it on P3 to refusing info on P4?
Btw P3 didnt do 120fps
2016-3-5
Use props
FI. Stanley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 148556 ft
  • >>>
Finland

If they not said where the sensor came form. Then is not Sony or Panasonic otherwishe dji will proudly present to us with sensor they use. I'm afraid they hold secret? But so long the quality not step backward is and produce good quality images and video I'm happy enough.
2016-3-5
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

MM55 Posted at 2016-3-4 17:51
I hope someone does a tear down before mine gets delivered.   What could a consumer do if they fin ...

Why would a consumer care if the sensors are cheap?  If the results are good, it doesn't matter where the sensor came from.

Also, from what I've seen on the P3 forum, most issues are with the lens, only a couple have had issues with the sensor/processor side.  Why wouldn't you be more concerned with the lens since they generally have a much bigger impact on quality than sensors.  The lens on the P4 has a revised design, so I would expect that to be much more important.

All said & done, the only useful information is gained from testing.  Spec's or manufacturers mean nothing.
2016-3-5
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

MM55 Posted at 2016-3-5 02:09
If that is the case "Happy days"

Not really...Hasselblad are well known for re-badging sony cameras & massively increasing the price.

Hasselblad Lunar

Sony A7
2016-3-5
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-5 02:40

The specs for ...

Im not saying its different, I think someone from DJI said that its the same camera with lens tweaks, so if i had to put money on it id say Sony Exmor. But in the absence of clarification - noone knows till a teardown.
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Sebb Posted at 2016-3-5 19:42
Then how do you explain that they went from advertising it on P3 to refusing info on P4?
Btw P3 di ...

Because it is a new product, I would not expect them to be telling everyone what is in it yet. The Sony chip has always been able to do 120 fps at 1080, it can do 240 at 720 if you want it to.
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

nigelw Posted at 2016-3-6 00:45
Not really...Hasselblad are well known for re-badging sony cameras & massively increasing the pric ...

Agreed, Hasselblad buying into DJI has potential benefits for Hasselblad, not much for DJI. Death throes of a company that has become irrelevant.
2016-3-5
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-5 21:57
Agreed, Hasselblad buying into DJI has potential benefits for Hasselblad, not much for DJI. Death  ...

I'd just be surprised if they had no influence on new camera solutions. :/
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fraggdya Posted at 2016-3-6 09:02
I'd just be surprised if they had no influence on new camera solutions. :/

Perhaps, but without knowing the exact relationship, we can only speculate.
2016-3-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Good glass is very expensive. My new Nikkor 80-400mm for the D800, was right up around $3000
http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Product ... 4.5-5.6G-ED-VR.html
Pro's use Hasse's.
I would love to have a real dslr, mounted to a drone... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-3-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-6 08:57
Agreed, Hasselblad buying into DJI has potential benefits for Hasselblad, not much for DJI. Death  ...

Actually it was the other way around.
Hasselblad sold a minority stake to the Chinese Drone giant SZ DJI Technology Co Ltd
http://www.dpreview.com/articles ... n-camera-technology
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-6 10:20
Actually it was the other way around.
Hasselblad sold a minority stake to the Chinese Drone giant  ...

I stand corrected. I had read a supposedly reliable industry news item that had it the other way around.
2016-3-5
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-5 22:38
Because it is a new product, I would not expect them to be telling everyone what is in it yet. The ...

Sony EXMOR was front and center in the press releases of P3 and I1 launches. Why do they now actively refuse to disclose who builds it?

"because it is a new product" is not an explanation.

Soon we ll know, maybe still same sensor, but a bit strange nonetheless.
2016-3-7
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

There could be all types of reasons for not releasing the info.  It could be that they cannot publicize it to satisfy requirements of the manufacturer.  It could be a pseudo-legal thing.  It could be something else, and it could be nothing else.  The good news is that buying the P4 is not mandatory.  If not knowing the sensor manufacturer is a deal-killer for you, it just is.  No one is persnickety, and no one is awful.  You simply couldn't come together for a deal.  As they will certainly honor your position, you should theirs.
2016-3-7
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

bobasbury Posted at 2016-3-7 13:07
There could be all types of reasons for not releasing the info.  It could be that they cannot public ...

I have preoredered the P4.
The good news is that participating in this sensor discussion is not mandatory.  If not finding other's opinions interesting is a conversation-killer for you, it just is.  No one is persnickety, and no one is awful.  You simply couldn't come together for a conversation.  As they will certainly honor your opinions, you should theirs.

2016-3-7
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

It is most likely the same sensor as the specs seem similar and there was no real reason to change the camera
2016-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dorn.michael10@ Posted at 2016-3-8 08:43
It is most likely the same sensor as the specs seem similar and there was no real reason to change t ...

No, the new sensor is from Hasselblad, after DJI bought a share in their company. It is a large format sensor requiring liquid cooling to keep it cool, hence the larger battery that the P4 now requires.
2016-3-7
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-7 14:08
No, the new sensor is from Hasselblad, after DJI bought a share in their company. It is a large fo ...

Oops my bad interesting on the liquid cooling wonder how that will cope with hot temperatures
2016-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dorn.michael10@ Posted at 2016-3-8 09:14
Oops my bad interesting on the liquid cooling wonder how that will cope with hot temperatures

No problems at all, during hot weather flights it can be filled with iced tea. In the cold, you use Scotch Whisky.
2016-3-7
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-7 23:38
No problems at all, during hot weather flights it can be filled with iced tea. In the cold, you us ...

Correction: in cold weather Vodka will be used, as DJI recently acquired minority share in Grey Goose.
2016-3-8
Use props
ghtracey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7224 ft
United States

Sebb Posted at 2016-3-8 05:32
Correction: in cold weather Vodka will be used, as DJI recently acquired minority share in Grey Go ...

Which also explains codename Tomato.... Bloody Mary's all around.
2016-3-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules