Phantom 4 suddenly lost power and fell out of sky...
25141 170 2016-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 23:59
This is your words from another crash of your new P4.

Hey, bought my first drone ever. A phantom 4. ...

Note to self:

Never leave the smoking gun around..Especially where hundreds can see it/find it...DOH!
2016-3-17
Use props
Drone Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3896588 ft

Ahhh,
As the great Paul harvey used to say,
"The Rest of The Story"
Two crashes then it "mysteriously" falls from the sky ??
Yeah,
Good luck with that warranty claim.
2016-3-17
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

Drone Man Posted at 2016-3-17 12:27
Ahhh,
As the great Paul harvey used to say,
"The Rest of The Story"

Yep. Case closed here.
2016-3-17
Use props
FailureEngineer
lvl.1

United States

After reading this thread and another posted by the OP, I am almost convinced he's trolling. I mean, he admits he crashes his P4 on day one in his house. He admits he crashes 1 to 2 more times the next day in the other thread, can't provide DJI with the data logs, and wants DJI to replace his bird?
2016-3-17
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

FailureEngineer Posted at 2016-3-18 01:59
After reading this thread and another posted by the OP, I am almost convinced he's trolling. I mean ...

Hard to disagree at this point, no pictures, no proof, no nothing...
He's definitely proved he's a.peter!...r.epeat! offender...
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

Unrelated. Apple was kind enough to let me replace that drone with a brand new one.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

Not trolling. The first drone, which I replaced, was certainly pilot error.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-17 23:50
Thank you for posting.

DJI Ken, this is very irresponsible of you if you are actually a DRI employee. If you look at my account you'll see that I've activated 2 entirely separate phantom drones. I should of mentioned in my 1st post that my original thread started the day before was for a different phantom 4. I understand where the confusion is coming from. Nice work detectives...

Look at my account.

Very unprofessional
2016-3-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 08:10
Couple things. The battery did not eject while falling through the tree, it ejected upon hitting the ...

Just out of curiousity,  what was the air temp where you were flying?
2016-3-17
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 14:56
Unrelated. Apple was kind enough to let me replace that drone with a brand new one.

You crashed the first one due to -- your words -- pilot error -- and Apple still gave you a new one at their expense?  Out of curiosity what state are you in -- Apple Stores seem to treat customers extremely differently in different parts of the country I have noticed.
2016-3-17
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-17 00:57
If you want to find out what happened for yourself, go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Uploa ...

No, don't go there, go to HealthyDrones.com.

That's all he's using and you're just giving a guy that doesn't deserve it clicks. This is probably him.

Send logs to healthydrones.com
2016-3-17
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 01:04
I have a Mac... Is there anyway to get this information from the drone onto a Mac.... This program o ...

Install a free program called "vine" on your Mac and you can run the exe file.
2016-3-17
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

citivas Posted at 2016-3-17 12:17
You crashed the first one due to -- your words -- pilot error -- and Apple still gave you a new on ...

In Cali they treat us great. Best customer service anywhere by any company.

This DJI care pissed me off to pay for.

During you warranty last year, they would replace this just like apple.
2016-3-17
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-17
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 08:10
Couple things. The battery did not eject while falling through the tree, it ejected upon hitting the ...

Dude!! I was on your side here but if there was a visible space during your preflight check, and you were lucky enough to get a new one after a pilot error crash, I say I can't feel bad for you because the level of stupidity of flying with an unseated battery is sort of unreal. At least don't admit.

This is a survival of the fittest. You shouldn't be flying a real UAS I'm sorry to say. You're actually putting people in danger.

Hopefully you have the DJI care, and until you learn to fly a Syma x5c don't pick up that RC again. You are not showing a high level of intelligence here for flight.
2016-3-17
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

A.piss.taker
2016-3-17
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Well, after reading everything here I have an idea of the cause.
To me it sounds like your second P4 might not have had the battery fully inserted.  While flying around, the birds battery could have popped loose resulting in the sudden drop.

Do not know for sure, but looks that way.

I would highly suggest that after you repair or replace your P4 you might want to try to practice short, smaller flights before venturing too far from your home point.Many new drone users are very egar to zip around like crazy, but also they find out the hard way, that is not a good way to start out.
2016-3-17
Use props
citivas
lvl.2

United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2016-3-17 15:22
In Cali they treat us great. Best customer service anywhere by any company.

This DJI care pissed  ...

Yep, Cali seems to an entirely different company than NJ or NY when it comes to Apple Stores.  I had two different friends who destroyed their iPhones with no AppleCare do to negligence in Cali and were given free replacements.  One of them left it on their car roof and drove on the freeway (101).  The CHP later retrieved it but it was totally destroyed.  Another went into a pool with theirs.  Total user errors, not even brand new phones.  I used to live in Cali and the entire attitude toward customer service was different, not just Apple though they were exceptionally good.  Here in Jersey, Forgetaboutit.  
2016-3-17
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-17
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Morph1 Posted at 2016-3-17 15:37
Just imagine this battery falling on someones head from a height of 200 ft ,
there would be  serio ...

Yeah, sadly some real harm has caused to people due to lack of practice.  Hell, I always have my bird look both ways before crossing a street as you never know what might happen.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

Man, you guys are BRUTAL. I think the Phantom 4 is an excellent product and is finally what made me wanna pull the trigger on the drone! I understand you all being adiment fanboys, for good reason, but give me a break. I popped the battery into the drone, it made an audible "click" noise. I installed firmware, I made sure props were tight, I installed updates, and I thought I'd take her out for a spin. If the battery is seated wel enough to fly, and be locked into place and fly around for 12 min or so, how the %*+# am I supposed to know it will randomly lose power suddenly after flying perfectly well. Again, the battery was as far in as possible. I'm so just glad that it happened to lose power and crash basically right in front of me vs somewhere else during my flight.

I do have experience with RC stuff, but from years ago. So yes, I am a noob, and am very grateful that Apple let me replace my cosmetically damaged P4 with a new one.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

I am in training to get my PPL and have always loved aviation. I had zero issue placing the battery in my first P4. It's not hard...

Is it impossible to think that I bought a semi-defective P4 that happened to fail mid-flight? Is that an impossible concept. I'm not in the wrong with this one.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-3-18 03:13
Just out of curiousity,  what was the air temp where you were flying?

Probably like around 47-50 degrees or so.
2016-3-17
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Wow...Just so hard to believe.
2016-3-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 13:06
Probably like around 47-50 degrees or so.

I asked because there was an epidemic of P3's doing that,  especially when flying on a partially charged or even a fully charged that had been left sitting a while.  It was thought Dji had solved that issue,  and this is a different battery design,  but you never know.  A just plain battery would not do such a thing but an " intelligent " battery with lots of on board coding......  Maybe we will here more of these incidents.
2016-3-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Here am I with no funds to buy a lovely new P4 and here is someone doing everything in his power to destroy one.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-17 17:50
Here am I with no funds to buy a lovely new P4 and here is someone doing everything in his power to  ...

What makes you say that? I damaged one, got it replaced, and my other one fell out of the sky. The battery design is not the best. It's super hard to take out and put into the P4. I really doubt I'll be the first user to have this issue. If anyone else does, I'm hoping you guys blame that pilot as well. And if it happens to one of you
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Cale262 Posted at 2016-3-17 17:11
Wow...Just so hard to believe.

What's hard to believe? What evidence do you want? It's not that crazy.
2016-3-17
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

a.peter Posted at 2016-3-17 18:58
What's hard to believe? What evidence do you want? It's not that crazy.

I can't believe you crashed your first P4 which was obviously and admittedly your fault and they gave you another. So much is just so unbelievable...
2016-3-17
Use props
wes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1338891 ft
United States

Did you have the flight sticks down and in at the time? Only takes a second to turn off the bird this way.
2016-3-17
Use props
jredford
lvl.1

United States

Op is full of win...
2016-3-17
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Two things about the phantom 4. When putting the battery in, avoid doing the palm of hand push in that worked on previous phantoms. You're better off squeezing the grip areas and pushing it in. Then after it is in, then give it an extra push to be double sure. The other thing, especially regarding sport mode is what I always say, fly low, crash hard. Height, height, height. You have light bridge so use it. Not 500 meters, but 10 just won't do where there are trees around.
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

edbighi@gmail.c Posted at 2016-3-18 09:29
Two things about the phantom 4. When putting the battery in, avoid doing the palm of hand push in th ...

If the battery is pushed in all the way, there's no way it's coming out unless you crash it or take it out.
And 100% correct on the Sport mode, it's a wild banshee in Sport mode. BE CAREFUL.
You can turn the expo down and the sticks won't be so sensitive.
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Cool, let me finally address the conspiracy theorists now that I'm home.

I had a P4, I cosmetically damaged it (which I posted about on these forums a day before i.e. the smoking gun you all-star "detectives" are referring to), and Apple was awesome enough (they usually are) and gave me a 1 time replacement for a brand new P4. THANKS!

And here is my battery "that I didn't put in properly" on my new P4

First from the top.

From the bottom. Notice the tiny space I was describing. NOTICE HOW ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO PUT IN ANY FURTHER. THE PLASTIC IS AT A FULL STOP! The battery was like this, before and after the fall. Look at the top picture, and look at the sides of the bottom picture, IT'S NOT BUDGING. This is how I flew the BRAND NEW UNDAMAGED drone for 12 minutes BEFORE IT FELL OUT OF THE SKY. Is the battery the culprit? I don't know. That's for DJI to figure out and FIX. Pilot error did not cause this accident. A faulty unit did.

2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

I am not in ANY WAY responsible for the drone falling from the sky. Other's will probably have this issue. Just wait. In the meantime, I want my drone fixed by DJI's included warranty. I received a non-airworthy, semi defective unit.
2016-3-17
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Take it back to apple,  you are obviously a stand up guy beyond reproach and they will certainly replace it for you since it''s defective and all...
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Cale262 Posted at 2016-3-18 10:50
Take it back to apple,  you are obviously a stand up guy beyond reproach and they will certainly rep ...

Cale262, tell me what I could of done differently to not make my drone fall from the sky? What did I do to cause this?
Also, I tried to get the Flight Logs from the drone for you guys..

But alas, I couldn't get the Wine Bottler program (allows .exe programs to run on Mac) to run DJI Assistant (no Mac version yet). Guess we'll have to see what DJI is able to pull from the drones flight logs.

Pretty ridiculous that a product that is currently only available at Apple, does not sync data... with Apples.
2016-3-17
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Why are you asking me...go ask Apple or DJI...you already crashed one multiple times and then took it back when the damage was admittedly your own doing but you talked your way into a brand new one....I'm sure you'll be fine with karma at your back. Why are you here wasting everyones time. Don't ask me as I won't waste another word on you as you certainly can't see the forest with all those damn trees in your drones way.
2016-3-17
Use props
tnhwyman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347697 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-17 19:50
Here am I with no funds to buy a lovely new P4 and here is someone doing everything in his power to  ...

Retired fixed income myself.....a.peter.log showing 50+ mph must be nice I start saving now maybe a P5 will be in my future
2016-3-17
Use props
a.peter
lvl.2

United States

Cale262 Posted at 2016-3-18 11:08
Why are you asking me...go ask Apple or DJI...you already crashed one multiple times and then took i ...

Why am I wasting everyones time? It seems like this thread had interested a few people, if it's wasting your time, then don't let it. Do something else. My second drone didn't hit any trees. It was flying in open air and died without reason, causing severe damage. Again, this could of been a potentially dangerous situation. Thankfully it fell NEAR me and into a tree upon dying.

I'm pointing out a valid issue and defect that others should be aware of.

I've been accused of lying about having a second drone, and not putting the battery in properly. This drone was indeed defective and deserves repair/replacement.

Also, DJI-Ken, you should be ashamed of yourself, being accusatory and not knowing the whole story. Any employee of any company should assume positive intent in customer service scenarios.
I'm not in the business of willingly damaging $1000+ electronics. The P4 is indeed a very expensive item for myself, but something I've wanted for years.
2016-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules