prop guards...yes or no
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sansouci01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49147 ft
United States

I've seen lots of posts about prop guards. Some say they make the phantom unstable. Others say no difference at all. I have been flying with prop guards on since I started flying my P3S. So...what's your opinion?

Single SelectVote, Total 100 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

1.00% (1)
3.00% (3)
28.00% (28)
68.00% (68)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-5-2
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

I don't see a need for prop guards on the Phantom 4.
2016-5-2
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
United States

Oh, you were talking about the P3S. That was my previous drone, I didn't notice any difference in stability with prop gaurds.
2016-5-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

This subject has been done to death, why start yet another thread on the same subject?
2016-5-2
Use props
gosports1
lvl.2

United States

I use Prop Guards and have no problem. In Fact I placed another order for 3 more sets. I originally had 4 Orange, I now just installed 2 Green for the Front and 2 Orange for the rear, hopeing I can tell at a Distance in which way my Camera is facing. Haven't tried this arrangement so far, the weather has been terrible.
2016-5-2
Use props
dieselwind
lvl.2

United States

I have quick disconnect prop guards.  Found the for $10 on amazon.  They're actually great quality.  I only use them when I launch and recover from somewhere where the RTH point is in close proximity to trees or other objects.  I've tested mine in two ways.  Controlled flight test (same route of flight) showed that I lose 1-2 minutes off of my normal non-prop guard flight.  I contribute that to parasite drag vs added weight.  I found no change in flight characteristics or handling.  I also tested them by doing a soft bump against a fence and the P3P suffered no damage.  Basically for a few extra bucks you can get minor protection from tree branches and small bumps.  Obviously a hard fall would break other things than just the props.  Go with the quick disconnects - use them when you want on or off.
2016-5-2
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Prop guards are great for catching the wind like sails and can seriously affect the Phantom's performance in windy situations.
They are also great for getting in the camera's field of view.
In general if you think prop guards are a good idea, flying somewhere else would be a better idea.
2016-5-2
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

I don't see a big deal with starting new threads on old subjects.
2016-5-2
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

I've never used the prop guards and I don't think I will. They don't look very appealing and based on smaller drones I've flown, prop Guards have to slow the P3P down or disrupt it in some way.
2016-5-2
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

G_MEZ_G Posted at 2016-5-2 23:10
I've never used the prop guards and I don't think I will. They don't look very appealing and based o ...

I don't think they look appealing at all...But they do act as sails and I very rarely use them (3x maybe...)

DSCN7184.JPG
2016-5-2
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-3 08:56
This subject has been done to death, why start yet another thread on the same subject?

Carbon vs plastic props; what happens if I pull down on the left stick; prop guards..........the same old threads being opened every couple of days and all unnecessary if people would just do a quick search before posting.
2016-5-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-5-3 17:24
Carbon vs plastic props; what happens if I pull down on the left stick; prop guards..........the s ...

Yep, I agree. The one thing is that the search function is the most hidden function on the forum though.
2016-5-3
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

JockC Posted at 2016-5-3 17:24
Carbon vs plastic props; what happens if I pull down on the left stick; prop guards..........the s ...

So what happens if I have carbon fibre joysticks and I pull down on the left prop guard...?
2016-5-3
Use props
t0mb0la
Second Officer
Flight distance : 447841 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought a set, fitted them while setting up, but removed them to fit everything in the backpack.
I've never fitted them since, nor am I likely to; not being quick release, I would sooner not chance fiddling with small screws in the field.
So far, I've not encountered any situations where prop-guards would have been needed.
Wondering if anyone who has fitted them, also used the string under the guards?

2016-5-3
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

t0mb0la Posted at 2016-5-3 22:10
I bought a set, fitted them while setting up, but removed them to fit everything in the backpack.
I' ...

I permanently leave two screws out of each motor, and use a longer thumbscrew to attach guards in the field (or shorter thumbscrews if I don't fit them, which isn't often).  I find thumbscrews aren't fiddly and prone to getting lost in the field.  I'd hate to be mucking around with small screws and screwdrivers while out flying.

I used string the first time I used them, just because it was there.  The second time I didn't.  That's when I flew too close to a metal structure which messed up the positioning.  It ran into a steel upright support, successfully bounced off the prop guards a couple of times, then fed in between  the guards and smashed up the props, just like a paper shredder.  Needless to say the string would have saved me in this situation.
2016-5-3
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

JockC Posted at 2016-5-3 02:24

Then why have this forum at all? I mean, these questions could be answered from you tube videos being posted or other means. I personally don't mind seeing new/repeated subject posts from people whom are interacting in a positive manner. I mean, this is a community. If I see a repeated post, 8 times out of 10 i will just not click on it and 2 times I may be interested in what new opinions or suggestions may have been posted. All in all, I've had my P3P for about a month and this community has been very welcoming and was actually my first experience with any forum but I was lucky no one told me that I was being annoying or something like that because I probably would have not returned.
2016-5-3
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

Just use them to learn to fly. Once you have all the orientations and can fly we'll never use them.  
2016-5-3
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

t0mb0la Posted at 2016-5-3 08:10
I' ...

You absolutely want these for your prop guards, easy on, easy off:

http://www.helidirect.com/aerial ... -release-mount.html

See my picture above a few earlier replies. No, I don't use the string but have seen others use it.

I also have graduated beyond the point of needing the guards so removed the quick release pieces and just use them now as identifiers for the P3S.

2016-5-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you fly indoors they might be useful, but they do make the drone a larger package. So you need plenty of space to fly.
I found in the first stages, that if you fly in an open clear area, away from obstacle obstructions or electrical and ferrous metal, that it can be a safe and fun experience.
So those extra bits weren't necessary for my flying style. Practice lots and learn how all the controls work, & become familiar with your limited but useful camera features as well.

RedHotPoker
2016-5-3
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

Prop guard  is urs and other safety in public place ..
cause if u hurt or damage something with ur drone u will face criminal offence
2016-5-3
Use props
sansouci01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49147 ft

Thanks G_MEZ_G.
If you have seen a thread like this before, just don't respond. I see no need for responding in a negative way. There are thousands of posts here. I am new in the drone world and ask lots of questions but some people here just love to take the time and criticize what others post.
2016-5-3
Use props
garrycolt777
New

Sweden

prop guards is good if you whant to fly at home
2016-5-3
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

I have quick-disconnect prop guards.  I use them where I believe there is a possibility I may fly into something - and no where else.  They stay in my case until I think I may need them.

They will protect you from some bumps into - for example a wall, but aren't much use if you run into foliage or anything that isn't solid.  If I fly indoors - they're on.

I do notice some handling issues [minor but there] and depending on the degree of the camera angle, they can show up in video when you don't want them to.
2016-5-4
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
United States

If flying indoors with the Phantom 4, do you think I should use prop guards or the obstacle avoidance system. As prop guards disable the OAS system.
2016-5-4
Use props
John Hansey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2026903 ft
United States

I was told at Salk Creek Recreation Area in Washington USA that if I had prop guards I could fly in the park! No guards no fly!
2016-5-5
Use props
dieselwind
lvl.2

United States

John Hansey Posted at 2016-5-5 08:34
I was told at Salk Creek Recreation Area in Washington USA that if I had prop guards I could fly in  ...

Interesting!  Haven't heard that before, but makes sense.  It would at least help a little if you wrecked into something/someone.
2016-5-5
Use props
rogercooper
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6217 ft
United Kingdom

Hi best not use prop guards on P4 as they interfere with forward obsticle sensors
2016-5-5
Use props
petemaughan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I used them twice when I first bought my p3a and they make it much easier to see where the bird is but they do tend to get in the way of the camera unless you fly slow ,move camera down or adjust braking harshness.

I've kept them just in case I need to fly between trees and other objects at a later date.

2016-5-5
Use props
hyrama5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13 ft
Spain

petemaughan Posted at 2016-5-6 04:47
I used them twice when I first bought my p3a and they make it much easier to see where the bird is b ...

Hi Peter, why do you want all that sky in your video, if you dropped the camera down a bit (less sky) then you wouldn't see the guards, on mine I've got just a bit of sky on the video and very rarely got guards in view.
just my 2 p's worth
2016-5-7
Use props
Consultant
lvl.2

United States

connorschulte Posted at 2016-5-3 04:38
I don't see a need for prop guards on the Phantom 4.

I assume you made this statement due to the computer vision feature or do the guards actually interfere with it?

Seems like one of the most likely mishaps the Phantom is susceptible to is tip-over on landing.  The landing gear don't have a very wide stance and an unexpected breeze can be all it takes.  Computer vision isn't going to prevent that.  Hence prop guards are a nice way to save your props from a tip-over.  Also if you have to fly close to structures (made for Real Estate videos) from a distance, it can be hard sometimes to judge the distance from the copter to the building and a breeze could push you into it so the guards will be nice in that situation.

Seems the negatives are negligible regarding the additional weight and handling in wind.  In my opinion the majority (not all) may be basing their decision regarding prop guards based on emotion and/or rumour as opposed to objective testing and experience.  That is, many people look at them like training wheels on a bike and think they are too experienced to use them or are concerned about how they might look to people.
2016-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules