Landing gear add on for phanton 2 vision+
4259 23 2015-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I do not want to remove the existing land gear on my Phantom but I would like a little more height and/or width. Anything around that will attach easily.
2015-1-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I found was these snap on leg extenders from Shapeways that will allow me to keep using the stock legs so I won't have to remount the compass or the CAN-Bus connector on my other Phantom2 and they will raise the Phantom up enough to keep the camera out of the ground.  This will also allow me to fit the Phantoms into most cases by simply snapping off the extenders when I'm ready to pack them away.  And since I have four different Phantoms I don't have to buy 4 different sets, I can just snap them on and off whichever Phantom I'm using.
I'm going to get another set as soon as the designer updates his extender to fit on the newer v3 Phantom that has the compass molded into the leg.
24 Jan UPDATE: Link to Shapeway is under the photo.  I emailed Fusion Imaging through the Shapeways website back on the 4th of Dec and got this response: "We are looking at modifying both the straight and wide leg extenders to fit the new V3 Phantom, but at this stage I cannot give you a time when this will happen, but it will be sooner rather then later."  As of 24 Jan 2015 there is still no snap on leg extenders that will fit the v3 P2V+ so we'll just have to keep waiting...

shapeways.com

2015-1-17
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Thanks Gil The DJI Phantom Click-On Leg Extender 'Wide' is just what I am looking for. I see why you can't use these on the V3 because of the compass mounting. Do you have any idea when V3 legs will be out? And they come in designer colors.
2015-1-17
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Has anyone tried this using PVC pipe?

phantom pvc.jpg
2015-1-22
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

2 questions:

1.  gil, can you give a link?  i cant seem to google them or find them on shapways...
2.  when you guys say v3 with the leg molded compass, is that the white box on my leg that is mounted to the inside of the leg?  if yes, then does that mean i have a v3?  
2015-1-23
Use props
sean.moore.esq.
lvl.2

United Kingdom

no, my late v2 also has the moulded on compass

has anyone found a method of non destructively removing the compass ?
2015-1-23
Use props
sean.moore.esq.
lvl.2

United Kingdom

here's another solution for those wanting increased ground clearance under their moulded version legs

maybe not at at that daft price

http://www.shapeways.com/product ... p;optionId=20003880
2015-1-23
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you lloked at any floats?  If so can you post a link?  Floats might add some height and be a cool feature.
2015-1-23
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-23 20:41
2 questions:

1.  gil, can you give a link?  i cant seem to google them or find them on shapways...

Here is the extended leg version but doesn't fit the new compass

http://www.shapeways.com/product ... -leg-extender-wide?
2015-1-23
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-1-23 23:14
Here is the extended leg version but doesn't fit the new compass

http://www.shapeways.com/product ...

I just sent them an email about the availability of the DJI Phantom Click-On Leg Extender 'Wide'
2015-1-23
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

thanks bill!  let us know what you find out...
2015-1-23
Use props
Sminky Pinky
New

Portugal

The Shapeways' parts look like they have been made on a 3D printer, which is fine, but they are probably heavier than need be.  That would explain the silly price.  Give it a while and our friends in China will have some injection moulds tooled up!  Anybody seen or want retracting legs on their Phantom?  
2015-1-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Sminky Pinky Posted at 2015-1-24 02:03
The Shapeways' parts look like they have been made on a 3D printer, which is fine, but they are prob ...

Ebay has retractables on their website, although a little pricey.
2015-1-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Not sure what type you are looking for but there's a lot of different types.  Just search on EBAY for
"dji phantom retractable landing gear"
I think AMAZON would have them also.
2015-1-23
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-24 02:25
Not sure what type you are looking for but there's a lot of different types.  Just search on EBAY  ...

I am looking something that I can remove fairly easily and do not have to replace or modify the existing landing gear. I do not want to mess with the changing the compass mounting. The engineer in me is running ideas through my head but haven't come up with anything yet
2015-1-23
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Just do a search for
"dji phantom retractable landing gear"
2015-1-23
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-23 23:54
thanks bill!  let us know what you find out...

Got a quick response but not much help

Thanks for reaching out to us.

As it is, our shops are run by independent designers who upload and sell their models. Whether or not an item is offered for sale depends on the creation of the model by said designer. So if you have a question for a specific designer, we ask that you inquire with them directly. You can do so by going to the product page and clicking on the 'Contact Designer" button on the right of the description. Please note that you must be logged into a free Shapeways account to take advantage of this option.

Kind Regards,

2015-1-23
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

This looks interesting but you don't get the guards or the carbon rods, just the connectors but $44

http://www.shapeways.com/product ... p;optionId=42868574
2015-1-23
Use props
Sminky Pinky
New

United Kingdom

These are all 3D printed items, hence the cost; not a criticism, just fact.  I work for a company with a machine that we sell parts off for Automotive development, and these parts here actually look decent value.  Just be aware the 'Nylon' is not nylon as you know it; it is effectively sintered/fused and more frangible than the moulded stuff.
2015-1-24
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

All the 3D printed items are probably made on demand. Materials are probably cheap but you are paying for time on the machine.
2015-1-24
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

sean.moore.esq. Posted at 2015-1-23 21:00
no, my late v2 also has the moulded on compass

has anyone found a method of non destructively remov ...

You can just pop the cover and the compass off. I attached the cover with the compass onto an old stlye extended/wide landing gear. The compass fits into the groove of the legs and the cover protects the compass. It's held on with electrical tape.  

2015-1-24
Use props
allbritt.email
lvl.2

United States

I saw a video ( I think on youtube) where you simply cut up one of those swimming pool noodle floats to length you want and then make a slit down the middle to stick the bottom of the stock gear into and then you a couple of nylon tie wraps to hold it in place.  Light weight, cheap and would provide some flotation and additional height & length to prevent tip overs.  You could use a bread tie to secure and then it would be very easy to remove.
2015-1-24
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

allbritt.email Posted at 2015-1-25 03:50
I saw a video ( I think on youtube) where you simply cut up one of those swimming pool noodle floats ...

That got me thinking. You can also use some 3/4" pipe insulation. You do need a 1/2" filler piece either balsa wood or dowel. Run a string through the insulation and the wood and use that to tie it off in two or three places.
2015-1-24
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I made up a set of these from 1 1/2" pipe making each piece 1/2" wide

extender.jpg
2015-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules