Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stabilized Pict
lvl.3
Flight distance : 118806 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi everybody,
I've been testing the Dji Osmo "tube mount" or bike mount test in Paris.
On normal road, it works fine, though on the pavement, it shakes alot, even though i've slowed down the reactivity of the osmo.
Firmware: 1.6.2.10
Tested on mountain bike with suspension.

2016-5-24
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Normally, to reduce the sharking in vertical direction, we need a little practice of "Ninja" walking. In your situation, the Z-Axis should be a better choice for you to reduce the sharking. Kindly please visit our official online store for more information: http://store.dji.com/product/osmo-z-axis?from=menu_products

Thanks for your support.
2016-5-24
Use props
Stabilized Pict
lvl.3
  • >>>
France

Yeah i bought it for like a month ago, just received it, gonna try it on the bike next time.
2016-5-25
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Stabilized Pict Posted at 2016-5-25 16:39
Yeah i bought it for like a month ago, just received it, gonna try it on the bike next time.

Hope you'll like it.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.
2016-5-25
Use props
dave_ande
lvl.2
United States

I just bought the OSMO/X3 combo and I get the same result. The bike paths that I ride are smooth, but the footage look terrible. I've tried calibrating to no avail. I don't feel like buying additional hardware that probably won't help the problem.  I'm at the point of returning everything.

2016-9-28
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

dave_ande@yahoo Posted at 2016-9-28 10:48
I just bought the OSMO/X3 combo and I get the same result. The bike paths that I ride are smooth, bu ...

Hi, can you upload the video from your SD card? This looks like a video cached in your phone
2016-9-29
Use props
dave_ande
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-29 05:00
Hi, can you upload the video from your SD card? This looks like a video cached in your phone

That is a clip from the card. I will upload another one.  How do I upload a .MOV file directly to this site?

2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

You can upload it to Dropbox/Google Drive and share it.

Does the video look normal when you hold Osmo and walk? I think it's normal, considering that you actually put the Osmo on the bike, so all the vibrations from bike, especially vertical ones, goes to Osmo, while your arm can absorb some vibration when you hold it.

You might consider Osmo Z-axis stabilizer

2016-9-29
Use props
Krause31
Second Officer
Flight distance : 598990 ft
  • >>>

Hello @All!
I am very happy with my normal Osmo and the bike mount...have made a test shooting a few days ago!

Yesterday i got my Osmo Mobile and tested it with the bike mount...there is a different like day and night between the normal osmo and the osmo mobile on the bike mount. The osmo mobile doesnt work great with the bike mount. I used it with my Galaxy S7 edge and i hope, it comes a fix with the new Dji Go update!

Greets from Germany!

Markus

2016-10-5
Use props
dave_ande
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-29 21:34
You can upload it to Dropbox/Google Drive and share it.

Does the video look normal when you hold Os ...

Below is a link to the native file. I don't want to have to purchase the Z Axis, when this product is advertised  to be specific to what I need it for. Why don't you guys at DJI send me one to try out before I waste more money purchasing additional equipment?

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Osmo?preview=DJI_0084.MOV
2016-10-5
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

Krause31's video looks great, very smooth even without the z-axis! but dave_ande's video looks terrible!
Since they both use the same setup (original osmo x3 + bike mount), I don't understand this HUGE difference...

Besides that, I was considering the osmo mobile for my Galaxy S7 edge, but as Krause31 just said - I shouldn't.... meh.
2016-10-5
Use props
dave_ande
lvl.2
United States

I agree mine does look terrible. Not sure if you tried downloading the video from my Dropbox link, the quality look better, but the footage is still jittery. I have many clips that look that way when using the bike mount.

I have some clips using a suction cup mount and on my vehicle and the footage is not as jittery. The spring inside of the shock doesn't help. I had to use a wire tie to help clamp pressure on the spring.

I would recommend to keep your money and not purchase the bike mount.

2016-10-5
Use props
Stabilized Pict
lvl.3
  • >>>
France

The problem I've found out on the bike mount is that you can't control the hardness of piston, and that's a big problem cause you can't adapt it to the road you're on...
Though I'm gonna keep testing it, cause I've had some good footage too, as if there is some setting you can handle.
To be continued lol
2016-10-11
Use props
dave_ande
lvl.2
United States

Stabilized Pict Posted at 2016-10-11 07:46
The problem I've found out on the bike mount is that you can't control the hardness of piston, and t ...

The piston with the spring is worthless
2016-10-12
Use props
Stabilized Pict
lvl.3
  • >>>
France

Well I wouldn't say worthless, but clearly not good enough for the most common situations.
Let's see if Dji will be able to make it much better.
If anyone from Dji is around, please tell us if you're planning on making it better.
2016-10-14
Use props
nelodico
lvl.1
Italy

same problem with Osmo Mobile + Samsung S7 Edge. the footage is awful.

There is somebody shooting good footage with Osmo Mobile + bike mount?
If yes, which phone are you using?

thanks
2016-11-28
Use props
Oglo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181693 ft
Australia

Stabilized Pict Posted at 2016-10-14 20:08
Well I wouldn't say worthless, but clearly not good enough for the most common situations.
Let's see ...

I've shot lots on my mountain bike and looks much smoother than yours, similar to Krause31.
First shot of SP's video was over cobblestones and any bike will physically move up and down rapidly - no gimbal made by anyone can stop that without suspension in between, it's actualyl physically moving your camera up and down in the Y axis - gimbals don't stop that movement being transferred to the image -similar but much faster than the walking-bobbing effect.
Try the following -
Place the bike mount as close to the handlebar stem as you can - not near the ends of the bars.

Drop your tyre pressure to make them soft and spongy. (also if you have a dually soften the suspension). Road bikes with 100psi skinny tyres and hard frames will never get good results.

Dismantle the 'piston' (it's just a spring inside) and stretch out the spring so the piston is always engaged, then use a cable tie around it(around the piston ends) to just nip back in some tension so it works against the cable tie in one direction, and the spring in the other.(there's Youtube videos showing how to do it - it's easy).

The latest Go app has a "Sport" and a "Wearable" gimbal setting - try them.

Make sure you use either 1/25th or 1/30th shutter speed by using ND filters to 'smooth out motion by adding motion blur. Bright days and Osmo set to Auto usually give very high shutter speeds which make moving scenes very jittery/strobey (like the opening scenes from "Saving Private Ryan" where they used the high shutter speeds to make it really shakey-jittery). Various Youtube videos explaining how to do it with Osmo...... DJI sell the ND filters.

If you don't get the pictures you want, buy the helmet sticky mount with the extension cable. The "Sticky" part of the mount doesn't work that well on bicycle helmets (it looks like it's designed for the smother/flatter surfaces of motorbike helmets) so I use a combination of velcro and cable ties to affix to my mtb helmet. It's a different video look to the handlebar mount, as it mimics your head movement, but it sure is smooth.
Look at getting the chest strap mount.

Go wild in Paris!!

2016-11-29
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video!
2017-1-3
Use props
Oglo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181693 ft
Australia

This is an example of what the gimbal can do on the Osmo standard. Three mount points for all the onboard bike shots.

Handlebar: using Handlebar mount.
Helmet: using sticky mount (cable-tied on) and cable extender.
Under seat: using cable extender and clamp to seat post.

I ended up choosing the more shaky shots as most were too smooth.
This is such an amazing gimbal.

2017-1-15
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I am having the same issue with OSMO and the standard bike mount, especially when riding a mountain bike. The rigid cushioning of the bike mount is far from suitable for the heavy OSMO. Is there a solution from DJI for this issue?
2017-1-18
Use props
fansdf7d83d7
lvl.4

United Kingdom

My spouse got me the universal RAM Mounts X-Grip mount. Installed in a few minutes and was exactly what I was looking for. You can find a review on this mount here https://productadvisor.com/best-motorcycle-phone-mount/ . It's a cool thing that is extremely easy to use.
2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules