recording to phone, but not SD card?
19648 28 2016-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eric55
New

can someone give me some helpful advice on what may be the issue?   The video is recording to my phone, but not the SD card?

2016-5-29
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72867 ft
United States

The SD card in the bird or your phone?
2016-5-29
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you provide greater details about why you think the SD Card doesn't contain your videos?  How are you viewing the SD Card and what exactly are you seeing?
2016-5-29
Use props
mavefarrelly
lvl.1

United Kingdom

i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT IN REVERSE. I CAN RECORD VIDEO OK, BUT WHEN TAKING STILL IMAGES, THEY ARE RECORDED ON THE SD CARD IN THE BIRD BUT NOT WITHIN THE DJI APP FOR REVIEW, BUT VIDEO IS?
2016-5-29
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

mavefarrelly Posted at 2016-5-30 03:31
i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM BUT IN REVERSE. I CAN RECORD VIDEO OK, BUT WHEN TAKING STILL IMAGES, THEY AR ...

Correct, photos aren't stored in the phone, but videos are.
2016-5-29
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-30 04:17

Guys, this is by-design...

Think about when you take a video....... You see it on the screen and the GO App can save the proxy video stream to the local device (athough in lower resolution). When you take a snapshot/picture. It isn't shown on the local device so the GO App can't create a proxy of nothing.....

And for practical purposes, transferring the photo to the local device would not be productive use of the video stream during flight... You CAN use the GO App to transfer photos, but it is painfully slow and easier to move them directly from the SD Card....

2016-5-29
Use props
eric55
New

Correct, the video is stored on my phone as a proxy video.  I filmed 2 flights.  One on Friday and one on saturday.  I pull the sd card out of the phantom bird and put it in my computer card reader and the video I captured yesterday is missing.  The video from the previous day has 3 files.  #1 and #3 work.  #2 is almost 800mb and is not a working video.

My phone has about 10 videos that play.   Why would my phone have stored the videos but the bird's SD card is not.  Im reformatting the card and trying another flight today.   
2016-5-29
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

eric55 Posted at 2016-5-30 05:03
Correct, the video is stored on my phone as a proxy video.  I filmed 2 flights.  One on Friday and o ...

Also check your file naming setting under the Camera Settings/Setup/File Index Mode and make sure it is set for Continuous. Open the GO App and enter the camera view. Select the Camera Menu and then tap the wrench. Down toward the bottom, tap File Index Mode:
Camera_Setup.png
Make sure you're setup for Continuous naming of your files... Otherwise, Reset will over-write previous files with the same name...
File_Index_Mode.png
2016-5-29
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

eric55 Posted at 2016-5-30 07:03
Correct, the video is stored on my phone as a proxy video.  I filmed 2 flights.  One on Friday and o ...

" I pull the sd card out of the phantom bird and put it in my computer card reader and the video I captured yesterday is missing."
One possible explanation is that you did not stop recording before you switched off the Phantom.
To properly close the video file, you have to stop recording before powering down.
2016-5-29
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-29 17:08
" I pull the sd card out of the phantom bird and put it in my computer card reader and the video I ...

I never had it happen, but I have heard this as well.. There's possibly a way to Recover dji video", google it...
2016-5-29
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-5-30 04:54
Guys, this is by-design...

Think about when you take a video....... You see it on the screen and t ...

It shouldn't be by design.  You would think the smaller file sizes would be saved, not vice versa.  I primarily use the bird for photography, not really video.  It's a pain to have to always pull the SD card out to receive photos.  This should be an option in the app.
2016-5-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-30 10:07
It shouldn't be by design.  You would think the smaller file sizes would be saved, not vice versa. ...

The system only saves low resolution files to the device, do you want low resolution stills also on your phone? The version sent to the phone is not meant to be used for anything apart for preview. The real thing is on the SD card, get used to it.

2016-5-29
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-30 08:21
The system only saves low resolution files to the device, do you want low resolution stills also o ...

Wasn't aware that the file on the phone wasn't the same quality.  In that case it would be useless.
2016-5-29
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-30 11:54
Wasn't aware that the file on the phone wasn't the same quality.  In that case it would be useless ...

tytlyf,
During flight, the first person view of your flight takes priority for the bandwidth. However, as I said above, you CAN transfer both your videos and your pictures using the GO App and connectivity with the aircraft. Just not in camera view...

With everything powered-on and connected, instead of tapping Camera, Select Editor.

Select Editor

Select Editor

In the main Editor page, tap the icon just above "Manage"

Tap Above Manage

Tap Above Manage

This will open the file transfer selection where you CAN transfer both videos and photos frm the SD Card or from the local mobile device.

File Transfer

File Transfer

Select Onboard SD and you will see the videos and photos on the card
Collection.png
Select the photo or video you want to transfer.

Selected Photo

Selected Photo

And tap the "Download"/tranfer icon. The GO App will show the transfer speed.
Transfer Speed.png
In this transfer,549Kbs

So the GO App, doesn't limit your transfers, it just prioritizes the use of the available bandwidth for our own flight safety!

2016-5-30
Use props
ric8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 954665 ft
Australia

My ph4 records video and stills to the DJI app on my iPad mini 4 and if I use my Samsung S7 it records stills and video to the phone.
2016-5-30
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-5-30 22:56
tytlyf,
During flight, the first person view of your flight takes priority for the bandwidth. Howe ...

Thanks for the information.  It sounds like you can transfer the images after the flight, but not automatically when flying and taking pictures like it does with video.  I'm probably wrong.  I'll see if I can figure it out.

Ideally, I'd love to have any videos and pictures taken automatically transferred to my phone's SD card while in flight.  This way I don't always have to pull out the SD card from the bird to transfer to my computer.  Would be a lot easier just plugging my phone in to the computer.
2016-5-30
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ric8 Posted at 2016-5-31 02:10
My ph4 records video and stills to the DJI app on my iPad mini 4 and if I use my Samsung S7 it rec ...

No it doesn't Ric.
Your stills and video are recorded on the microSD card just like everyone else"s
2016-5-30
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-31 09:31
Thanks for the information.  It sounds like you can transfer the images after the flight, but not  ...

"Ideally, I'd love to have any videos and pictures taken automatically transferred to my phone's SD card while in flight.  This way I don't always have to pull out the SD card from the bird to transfer to my computer.  Would be a lot easier just plugging my phone in to the computer."

It's just like any other digital camera.
You simply transfer the images from the card to your computer.
If that's the most complicated task you have to deal with, you're not doing too badly.
2016-5-30
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-31 08:20
"Ideally, I'd love to have any videos and pictures taken automatically transferred to my phone's S ...

That's what I'm trying to avoid, pulling out the SD card from the bird.  From what I'm hearing, it sounds like I can transfer the files after the flight from the bird to the phone SD card.  But that eats up battery on the bird  ;)
2016-5-30
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-31 10:24
That's what I'm trying to avoid, pulling out the SD card from the bird.  From what I'm hearing, it  ...

Why all the fuss about trying to avoid it?  
It's quick and easy.
It's the normal method for transferring images from any digital camera.
2016-5-30
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-31 08:32
Why all the fuss about trying to avoid it?  
It's quick and easy.
It's the normal method for trans ...

I'm lazy.  After packing up the bird in the case I hate having to open it up again, pull it out, hold gimbal so it's not tweaked too far from pushing in the SD card, transferring images, putting card back in while holding gimbal, putting bird back in case, closing case.
2016-5-30
Use props
ric8
lvl.3
Australia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-31 08:18
No it doesn't Ric.
Your stills and video are recorded on the microSD card just like everyone else" ...

Hey there labroides, As I said it does record both stills and video on the SD card on the PH4 and it does record both stills and video to my iPad mini 4 or Samsung S7 phone, try it and you will see I am right, I would not make a statement unless I have actually done it myself, Shoot some video and then shoot some stills, then on the DJI GO app click on the EDITOR ICON you will have 720P versions of your footage that you can edit with the DJI GO editor, then if you look at the top of your screen you will see lo res images of your stills, you can even edit these with the DJI GO app on your Tablet/phone and share straight to Facebook,twitter ect.
So for you to tell me that it doesn't  when I have been editing stills and video that are on my iPad mini 4 tells me you haven't found it on your devise. Let me know how you go.
2016-5-30
Use props
ric8
lvl.3
Australia

photos and video are stored on the phone/tablet just a lower resolution, in the DJI GO click on editor then you will see your last few videos,there are settings to set that allow a certain amount of storage cache, I have mine set to 2 gig after that the older files are deleted, if you look at the top of the page just below to the right of the date click on the photos word and you will have lo res stills that you can edit and send directly Facebook ect. I hope this helps.
2016-5-30
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ric8 Posted at 2016-5-31 13:48
photos and video are stored on the phone/tablet just a lower resolution, in the DJI GO click on ed ...

If you want to waste your time and effort with low res preview files stored in the app, that's up to you.
The cached video files are subject to whatever interference there was between your Phantom and controller, unlike the actual recorded video on your SD card.
The real images are not stored in the app or on your device.
Your actual stills and video are recorded to the SD card.
2016-5-30
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-30 11:54
Wasn't aware that the file on the phone wasn't the same quality.  In that case it would be useless ...

It's 720P on your phone, but 1080P/2.7K/4K on the SD card of the bird
2016-5-30
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-31 10:42
I'm lazy.  After packing up the bird in the case I hate having to open it up again, pull it out, h ...

DJI might do it in the future. For example, after you retrieve the bird, it automatically connects to your home's WIFI and uploads the files to your PC or Dropbox.

Some digital cameras already have this functions now.   I guess it's just not a priority for DJI.

BTW.. It literally takes you 2 seconds to get the mini SD card out and put it back in
2016-5-30
Use props
Teaweazle91
lvl.1

Canada

I have a similar problem. The person working the gimbal/camera remote on my last mission accidentally formatted the Micro SD card and wiped some of the footage we took. The footage is still saved to the DJI Go App. Is it possible to recover the footage from the APP and transfer it to my computer from there or is it a lost cause?
2017-4-20
Use props
hanske
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298084 ft
Norway

Unless you didn't do a secure format, or have recorded new videos on that card, they is a chance the files are still there.

Can't remember any programs in top of my head, but a quick Google search will show you several programs to recover lost data. Many of they are free.
2017-4-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Teaweazle91 Posted at 2017-4-20 08:54
I have a similar problem. The person working the gimbal/camera remote on my last mission accidentally formatted the Micro SD card and wiped some of the footage we took. The footage is still saved to the DJI Go App. Is it possible to recover the footage from the APP and transfer it to my computer from there or is it a lost cause?

Yes, but the files on your device will be low resolution.  If you have not recorded on the erased sd card, you can recover the videos using a program like Recuva, which is free.
2017-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules