Would you make this type of flight with your drone?
1445 12 2015-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chuecoist.email
lvl.1

Colombia

I was passing by Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne in the days prior to Australian Open. I had my drone with me and I could not help it to fly over the tennis stadium and make some footage? I got into a little bit of trouble but it was well worth it. I wonder if im ruining everything for future drone flyers because drones will be banned in many places.

What are your thoughts?

http://youtu.be/swoqjSN0wFY
2015-1-21
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

while it is cool video and your intentions were benign, i would say instances like this become fodder for drone-haters to use to impose more formal limits on drone usage (and it is certainly possible that those formal limits may be considered to be erring on the unreasonable side by us drone-lovers)
2015-1-21
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Yeah you asked for trouble when you lingered too long and went too close to that cover and mechanics.  You could have crashed and jammed the rolling gear.  Do they want to press charges?

Nice shots - but you are a bad lad
2015-1-21
Use props
chuecoist.email
lvl.1

United States

talk2t_c  - gnixon2015
Thanks for replying, you guys are probably right. Its just so damn hard not to fly it in this situations. They are not pressing charges or anything. Security came and asked me a lot of questions, looked at the drone, asked for the video and then told me never to do it again. I probably would not do it if was during a tennis match or something like that, if I had crashed it probably would have costed me a lot of money and the drone.

best,
2015-1-21
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

You flew in a responsible manner and there was nobody in harm's way, but you could have put some audio on the vid.
2015-1-21
Use props
chuecoist.email
lvl.1

United States

markus2015 duly noted. Im going to add some music!!!
2015-1-21
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Could have done with you at this match:

2015-1-21
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I 'm not sure I would have the cachews to do that but it is a nice video. What if you were not standing on their property controlling the drone?

They don't own the airspace over the arena so the question is how close is too close (low) to fly over a property?
2015-1-21
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

JATO Posted at 2015-1-22 02:27
I 'm not sure I would have the cachews to do that but it is a nice video. What if you were not stand ...

But they do own the arena, and therefor also the right on the pictures. You may only film a building from an angle that one could see from the ground. If you're flying over or next to a building, you would need the approval of the owner for copyright issues. But do most care?
2015-1-21
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

markus, if i stand on my property (or public property) and take photos of your property, as long as i dont use/sell them, i dont think you legally can stop me from taking photos of your property.  if so, i'd thing paparazzi would be out of business????
2015-1-21
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-1-22 02:45
markus, if i stand on my property (or public property) and take photos of your property, as long as  ...

That really depends on where in the world this happens and which laws apply. If you just flew over my property, there is nothing I could do. But if you hover over for a while and film, I could legally stop you (German Civil Code), regardless if for private use or not.

The difference is that you would be filming from a position that could not have been done from generally accessible place (public view). If you stood on the street with a hand held camera, you could film all day.

Laws in USA, UK and elsewhere are probably different.
2015-1-21
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

true, i never think about international law since i live in US.  good points.
2015-1-21
Use props
SkaffenAmtiskaw
lvl.1

Australia

not exactly legal, unless you had permission, and had a casa licence,   which im sure you had right.... right...   

i would have done it, but let someone know,  and maybe not so close to the roofing ..
2015-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules