Battery Cell Damage after discharge to 5%
2220 15 2015-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neil.email
lvl.1
Flight distance : 110899 ft
Australia

Yesterday I discharged my batteries for my Phantom 2 Vision + as per DJI's wiki page.  It says to discharge to below 8%.  Well it took ages to do so.  I was in and out of my office as this went on.  On my return the battery was 5% and I had a warning that cell damage could occur - Thanks for warning me DJI.

Anyway it did recharge fully and I thought all was well.  However today I went to use the battery and it says that there is cell damage and I should not use this battery.  All my software is fully up to date and the battery seems to work ok with all cells reporting within a few mV of 4000mV when I ran the battery down to 70%.

Is it really stuffed?  

Can the error code be reset?

What is the minimum voltage you should discharge to?

Neil
2015-1-22
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

How did you discharge to 5% was this reported by the dji phone app ?

I never pay any attention to battery advise from dji. I fly until the fog horn comes on and then later that day or the next fully charge, I trust the battery will self discharge when required.  I don't know if its the right or wrong way - but no issues yet.
2015-1-22
Use props
neil.email
lvl.1
Australia

Yes the 5% was on the phone app.  Yes your idea is better I think.
2015-1-22
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

"What is the minimum voltage you should discharge to?"

For a 3S LiPo, I would  not go below 11.1 volts.
2015-1-22
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

3.7V? thats a bit to safe. I would say 3.3V can be done to a lipo without damaging it, maybe 3.0V but thats under load of course. With the Phantom1 i landed at 3.5V which is 10.6V
2015-1-22
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Whats happened to Neil.email it says he's banned and I cant read any of his comments ?

Are you guys talking about standard liPo's or the smart battery in the Phantom 2
2015-1-22
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

umpa Posted at 2015-1-22 19:04
Whats happened to Neil.email it says he's banned and I cant read any of his comments ?

Are you guys ...

I'd be more interested in WHAT he did to get himself on the "no soup for you!" list.
2015-1-22
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Are you guys ...

I think he's number 1 on DJIs "NO FLY LIST".
2015-1-22
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was only able to discharge my three batteries to 14%, 14% and 12% yesterday.  I hovered them aslong as possible just above the gorund and then they settled in and the engines quit.  i think i have to change the minimum charge level to get lower.
2015-1-22
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore...
2015-1-22
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

hey, i dont care, at least i can reply to posts now LOL
2015-1-22
Use props
neil.email
lvl.1
Australia

What happened was ........
Yesterday I discharged my batteries for my Phantom 2 Vision + as per DJI's wiki page.  It says to discharge to below 8%.  Well it took ages to do so.  I was in and out of my office as this went on.  On my return the battery was 5% and I had a warning that cell damage could occur -

Anyway it did recharge fully and I thought all was well.  However today I went to use the battery and it says that there is cell damage and I should not use this battery.  All my software is fully up to date and the battery seems to work ok with all cells reporting within a few mV of 4000mV when I ran the battery down to 70%.
2015-1-22
Use props
neil.email
lvl.1
Australia

Are you guys ...

Not sure why I am labelled as banned. Can you read this?  Seems ok my end
2015-1-22
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Yep, you and your posts are back.  Battery sounds like it's okay.
2015-1-22
Use props
neil.email
lvl.1
Australia

Yes Jamie it does seem ok.  But how does one clear the error state that it has?
2015-1-22
Use props
neil.email
lvl.1
Australia

I've logged a support request on thiis and after a week I have no answer.  They used at least so it is in the cue.
2015-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules