At what humidity level is it safe to fly the Phantom?
6007 6 2015-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ovidiu.sandor.e
New

Romania

I understand one should not fly the Phantom in rain. What about humidity? Is there an upper limit above which one should not fly?

2015-1-24
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom have flown in light drizzle/heavy mist with no problems whatsoever.  They were flown out to only about 120 meters and back, but flew for an hour on multiple batteries and everything was just fine.
2015-1-25
Use props
katokristof.ema
lvl.1

United States

I would watch how long you fly it in, water can do damage to any electronic. Also watch water weight, might seem silly but it can cause a crash!
2015-1-25
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I wouldn't fly in thick fog, but I've seen many plunging into water beeing completely submerged. After drying, they flew perfectly (this does not apply to salt water though - instant death). I've flown in light snow, had no problems. The props will keep the flackes from the phantom, I hope.
2015-1-26
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-27 01:25
I wouldn't fly in thick fog, but I've seen many plunging into water beeing completely submerged. Aft ...

The fast spinning props will be susceptible  to icing resulting to lost lift flying in any snow.
2015-1-26
Use props
tomokc
New

United States

Hi everybody. I'm a new forum user doing due diligence before buying my first drone/UAS/UAV. I am a pilot and have a couple of weather-related performance questions:

1) Does anyone know the service ceiling of a Phantom 2/Vision/P2VP assuming gross weight on a standard day (these are aviation terms)?
2) What does DJI say about operating in rain? I saw @HermosaDrones post about flying in drizzle, but can it operate in rain? And does wet weather operation void the warranty?

Regarding snow, @Markus2015, prop wash won't keep snow or ice from accumulating on the airframe, hubs or propellers. Buildup on the latter will reduce their lift capability and probably bring down your bird.

Thanks everybody!
2015-1-26
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Flight requirements are listed in the manual on pg. 25:
(1) do not use the aircraft in the severe weather conditions. These include wind speed exceeding category 4, so now, rain and smog.
Several more but clearly states no to the the rain and snow...
2015-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules