iPAD Mount for the RC Unit
3534 17 2016-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brian.dandridge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have both an iPhone 5s and a 4th generation iPAD - the 9.5" model.  Since starting to use the Phantom 10 days ago I have found the iPhone works very well with the RC unit and is held very well by the standard mounting / clamp but the small screen makes it very difficult to see and access the various on-screen controls and information.  The iPAD, on the other hand, is very easy to read and use, however, very cumbersome to use on the mounting.  As anyone who has tried it will know, the 9.5" iPAD is too large for the standard mount so I bought one of the extenders, however, I have found that it doesn't hold the iPAD very well and the tablet is liable to pop out at an inopportune moment.  Secondly, because of the size and weight of the iPAD, it doesn't feel stable and is liable to fold the mount back onto the ariels (I tried tightening it).  I therefore find I am concentrating more on trying to keep hold of the iPAD rather than what the drone is doing - not a safe scenario.  I have therefore found myself using the phone rather than the tablet for evry flight out in the field.

Has anyone found a more suitable mounting to enable the full sized iPAD (not the Mini) to be used effectively?   Please don't suggest buying another tablet - i don't have the funds to go down that route at present and just want to use what I already have more effectively.

Thanks
2016-8-10
Use props
cloudycante
Second Officer
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

I too find myself in the same situation.
Right now, I believe the only suitable solution is to use the inspire 1 tablet holder, which provides the right stability, form, size and layout.
Unfortunately the RC for the P3S can only be adapted to use said holder, by drilling holes in it, not a very easy task, if you're not use to do it, and of course there's always the chance that you'll end up killing your RC
2016-8-11
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you need an FPV tray....  
2016-8-11
Use props
brian.dandridge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks Bob.  That certainly looks the business however, I note from the descriptions on the YouTube clip and the Infinity Hobby site it points you to to purchase that it is designed for and demo'd with the Phantom 2 controller.  Not having seen or used a P2 can anyone advise as to whether there are any size differences that would preclude this item from being used with a P3?
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

brian.dandridge Posted at 2016-8-11 07:08
Thanks Bob.  That certainly looks the business however, I note from the descriptions on the YouTube  ...

P2 and P4 RC are not the same size.  I would suggest you contact the seller and ask if it's compatible. Though I don't really think it's worth $40 to buy that.

You can trade your iPad for an iPad mini 4 (not buying a new one).
2016-8-11
Use props
Michael89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

Yes the current RC holder is crap, even if you tighten the screw, it gets loose when you fold over the RC to get it back in the case, great engineering DJI!
There some other holders you can find online which should be more firm, just search them on amazon or so.
2016-8-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The iPad Air2 Cellular, fits my Inspire 1 device holder perfectly... ;-)
So glad it was an option, that only took changing them over...

RedHotPoker
2016-8-11
Use props
brian.dandridge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have been in touch with the supplier of the FPV Tray suggested earlier in this thread and sadly they confirm that the P3 and P4 controllers won't fit and they have no current plans to introduce a new model to fit these later controllers.  Back to the drawing board!!
2016-8-11
Use props
cloudycante
Second Officer
Flight distance : 558173 ft
Italy

some times ago, while surfing, I found this one, but I was never able to find it on sale
file.png
2016-8-12
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15262 ft

not knowing which Phantom 3 you have... I find these

Options for P3S
Options for P3A and P3P
Options for Phantom 4
2016-8-12
Use props
brian.dandridge
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks James.  In my case it is a P3A.  I have already bought an Extended Mount for DJI Phantom 3, one of those shown in your list, however, I have not found it to be very good and is very insecure in holding a 9.7" iPAD in place.  The iPad Pro 12.9 Tablet Mount Adapter Holder DJI Phantom 4 3 Advanced Pro from DronePhotoNY looks interesting but that is for the even larger iPAD, however, I see they do a mount for the 9.7" - 3DR Solo Adapter iPad Air 1 2 Pro 9.7 Holder Mount but need to find out if it will also fit the P3 RC bracket.   
2016-8-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

brian.dandridge Posted at 2016-8-13 01:32
Thanks James.  In my case it is a P3A.  I have already bought an Extended Mount for DJI Phantom 3, o ...

I have had the plastic device holder on my P3 for over a year and never had an issue with it holding my iPad Air. If it got just a tad loose after a few months of use I would just tighten it really quick.
I'm sure if I were to run down the street with it, the mount may break or the iPad slip out but for normal use it's just fine.
On my P4, it comes with the Inspire metal mount and it works great as well and won't sway when swinging the RC like the P3 holder. But again, under normal use I never had an issue.
2016-8-12
Use props
dgboo7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1364534 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-12 15:42
I have had the plastic device holder on my P3 for over a year and never had an issue with it holdi ...

I will be getting a P3A soon and have the 12.7 iPad Pro , if anyone uses this model is would appreciate feedback.

Having just dropped  $1000 on a tablet, I don't really want to buy a mini..and spend another 400...
2016-8-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

dgboo7@tampabay Posted at 2016-8-14 07:11
I will be getting a P3A soon and have the 12.7 iPad Pro , if anyone uses this model is would appre ...

There are some people here, you just need to use the search function to see if you can find anything.
2016-8-13
Use props
dgboo7
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-13 19:31
There are some people here, you just need to use the search function to see if you can find anythi ...

Thanks Ken, there are options out there...dropping an iPad would not be good...maybe stick with my 6 plus...
2016-8-13
Use props
dgboo7
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-13 19:31
There are some people here, you just need to use the search function to see if you can find anythi ...

Thanks Ken, there are options out there...dropping an iPad would not be good...maybe stick with my 6 plus...
2016-8-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

dgboo7@tampabay Posted at 2016-8-14 08:30
Thanks Ken, there are options out there...dropping an iPad would not be good...maybe stick with my ...

That probably would be better unless you get one of those big RC trays with a full size mount for your iPad.
2016-8-13
Use props
adzchannel
New
United Kingdom

cloudycante Posted at 2016-8-11 01:01
I too find myself in the same situation.
Right now, I believe the only suitable solution is to use the inspire 1 tablet holder, which provides the right stability, form, size and layout.
Unfortunately the RC for the P3S can only be adapted to use said holder, by drilling holes in it, not a very easy task, if you're not use to do it, and of course there's always the chance that you'll end up killing your RC

Will a 4th gen iPad definitely fit into the Inspire 1 tablet holder?
2017-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules