o(^-^)o
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great DJI Customer Service Experience!

Inspire 1 V2 X3 camera

My problems started on or about July 28, 2016. My video downlink was freezing on my iPad mini 4 while flying my Inspire 1 normally and during LOS operations. At first my monitor would freeze giving me a half black screen or green screen. My video signal strength was looking great and 5 bars. The radio signal strength was also 5 bars and flying normally. I was in two areas that were wide open spaces and these are areas where I flew before without issues. So I figured no big deal.... I was having trouble framing my shots. But I decided to continue filming....   I was thinking to myself that I would finish my video shots and just use the 4K files on the camera, right ... not this time.  2 out of 3 video files were corrupted on my SD chip and now I was getting worried that something was really wrong. Also, I had some epic river rafting shots lost forever.

There was lots of chatter about 1.8.1 & 1.9.1.3 firmware issues and that this could be the reason for dropped or poor video streaming from the Inspire. Weak or bad video signal was being reported on many threads in the DJI forum.  Meanwhile I had been posting some of my struggles on the DJI forum looking for some input.

DJI Ken, Jamie, cougar and  donnie; were very helpful with some tips.

We were thinking the new  FW update could be causing it,,, but I was not having these issues right after all of the updates were installed. For me, it started about 8-9 flights afterwards. I didn't really catch on until my camera video files were found corrupted.  DJI and some on the forum said it could be the tablet or the GO App etc. But while I was investigating the problem with my Inspire, I flew my P4 using the same iPad mini 4 at the same location /conditions (hot)  and no freezing or downlink issues.  

1). Finally I took the advice of DJI  Ken and Jamie by calling the DJI Store / Shop in California using the 800 number for help. This was Monday August 1, 2016; sometime in the late morning and spoke with RJ in customer service. He did not know me or my experience level and was very friendly to talk with.

2). RJ had me do some very basic steps with my inspire 1, remote and the Go App. This being said, we went through most of the things that I had already looked at. But in the spirit of cooperation I did what he asked. After everything checked out, I told him that this was not my first time and that I was very experienced with the DJI products. He listened to what I had to say and the troubleshooting that I had already completed. I gave him all my log files and the link to the video showing the issue. Soon after he discussed the situation with his supervisor they agreed that my Inspire should be returned for inspection.   (yeah )

3). He sent me an email later that day requesting me to complete an DJI repair form with all the information we had discussed and proof of purchase. I promptly sent this back by email. Tuesday morning I received an RMA and shipping label to return my Inspire 1 / remote and X3 camera. They were shipped by UPS ground same day (Tuesday August 2, 2016).

4). My Inspire 1 arrived about 11 am on Thursday August, 4 and was checked in later that day. I received the DJI email with repair number and link to the repair status page.

This is where the WOW factor kicked in. I figured that I would be waiting to get into the repair queue and then when it was my turn the drone would be on the work bench... Guess what, they had all ready checked my drone and issued the warranty status of (paid) for a new camera / gimbal unit for my Inspire 1.
    Now it's only Thursday afternoon the Inspire was repaired and tested waiting for shipment.  DJI Ken was also, checking on my Inspire for me and he confirmed on the forum that  it was waiting to be tested etc.  Well guys, it just does not get any better than that (super fast)!!  Friday August 5, 2016  my Inspire 1 was shipped from DJI shop in California.

5). I received my Inspire today August 12, 2016 by UPS in the morning. It was undamaged and looked great with a shiny new camera    I charged up the batteries and did my re-calibrations set- up my master remote (long story) now it is ready to fly. I took it out at my house and did a 13 minute test flight with 5 videos and 4 pictures. It flew and worked perfectly.  

THANK YOU DJI for the great customer service experience.

I will be flying again at the Rogue River location to get some new river rafting videos this weekend.
Now I cannot wait to save enough money to buy my new Z3 camera for my Inspire 1.  

Thank you DJI Ken , RJ, Nicholas and Jamie.  Please post this in the DJI Shop with my sincere thanks to the entire team!!.

Job well done

Rich
2016-8-12
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Richard,

The technical support and customer service of DJI have been great in these days. Did you remember the issues some of us faced when the FW1.9.1.10 came out? DJI took less than a week to diagnosing our issues and issued an "internal" FW1.9.1.21 for us to cure the issues. DJI was not merely rushing, it did seek our feedbacks to confirm affirmative results before eventually releasing the FW1.9.1.30 (which was actually the FW1.9.1.21).

I see the great service and support from DJI have been consistently applied across the globe, not just one local office.

I too am seriously considering parting with my hard-earned savings for the Z3!

Henry
2016-8-12
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Henry Mo-Yung Posted at 2016-8-12 21:42
Hi Richard,

The technical support and customer service of DJI have been great in these days. Did yo ...

Hello Henry how are things in the east  
Yes DJI really wanted to find the root cause of the FW issue and we can really see the difference in customer service. DJI is trying to do better and it shows.

I know that nothing is perfect and when things go good ... it usually goes unnoticed!

Yah I am counting the days to when I can buy the Z3,  I see the X5 is on sale now too, but rather get the Z3.

Rich
2016-8-12
Use props
dustindilworth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 497530 ft
United States

So glad to hear about this experience, Rich. It's looking like my new Inspire will be sent out to them this coming week, unfortunately. Hearing that the turnaround time went this well is definitely encouraging. I hope I can find somebody at the repair facility who can help care for me
2016-8-12
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Rich,
Great to hear you are sorted and back in the air. Awesome customer service from DJI.
2016-8-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Rich,
Thank you very much for posting your experience, all of us at DJI and I'm sure the readers really appreciate it.
2016-8-13
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dustindilworth Posted at 2016-8-12 23:42
So glad to hear about this experience, Rich. It's looking like my new Inspire will be sent out to th ...

dustin

I am not sure what your issue is, but DJI will take care of you.

keep us posted

Rich
2016-8-13
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-8-13 07:44
Rich,
Great to hear you are sorted and back in the air. Awesome customer service from DJI.

Thanks cougar
have you flown your Inspire since the FW update? I was curious if you see the same things on the video channels..... Hope you are doing well.

Rich
2016-8-13
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-13 08:50
Rich,
Thank you very much for posting your experience, all of us at DJI and I'm sure the readers rea ...

Thanks Ken

You guys really made it happen.

PS I used the same Extreme San Disk micro sd card with the corrupted video files still on it (without formatting) put this into my new camera during my test. I wanted to see if that made any difference.
It worked perfectly

Rich
2016-8-13
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-13 13:11
Thanks cougar
have you flown your Inspire since the FW update? I was curious if you see the same t ...

Hi Rich, no have not updated my RC or the Go App on my Inspire Pro, but funny part is that I see the same red bars in the transmissions channels unless I pick custom, then the seems normal. DJI must have done a change over the air. But have updated 2 other Inspire's (one I1 and one I1 V2) and all went well with booth.

Just a heads up: Shou had their certificate revoked, looking to find other source, if/when I find one I will let u know.
2016-8-13
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-8-13 09:29
Hi Rich, no have not updated my RC or the Go App on my Inspire Pro, but funny part is that I see t ...

Hi cougar,

thanks for the update and this is exactly what I am seeing as well.

Funny you mention the Shou App.... I noticed this yesterday... please let me know if you find a fix !

Rich
2016-8-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-14 00:16
Thanks Ken

You guys really made it happen.

Very nice, I'm glad it's all working great and sorry you had an issue.
2016-8-13
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-13 11:15
Very nice, I'm glad it's all working great and sorry you had an issue.

Thanks Ken
things happen... and it was handled with ease.
Rich
2016-8-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-14 11:58
Thanks Ken
things happen... and it was handled with ease.
Rich

Sounds good, and thanks again for posting your thread.
2016-8-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-15 07:29
Sounds good, and thanks again for posting your thread.

Ken
Maybe DJI could move this post to the main forum page for visibility. People need to know that DJI has improved the customer care experience. (IMO)

Rich
2016-8-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-15 23:11
Ken
Maybe DJI could move this post to the main forum page for visibility. People need to know that ...

I've already sent a request.
We'll see what happens.
2016-8-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-15 08:36
I've already sent a request.
We'll see what happens.

Flew today at the river in 98*F weather. The camera performed great and no corrupted files at all. The iPad mini 4 got pretty hot and I had some streaming drops on the second battery. I am now looking at the IPad mini 4 to see if I can make it run cooler during Flight.  I did not bring the cooling towel this time.

Question regarding the Go App recording feature, how long ago was this added and does it take a lot of CPU power to run. I think there is a connection to this recording feature and the screen drops on the iPad?

Thanks
Rich
2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-17 12:39
Flew today at the river in 98*F weather. The camera performed great and no corrupted files at all. ...

Rich,what recording feature are you talking about. If your talking about the Social Media live streaming then it was added a few versions ago. But if your not using it then it should take any juice from the CPU.
2016-8-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-17 07:29
Rich,what recording feature are you talking about. If your talking about the Social Media live str ...

Hi Ken
The 720k streaming to the tablet is used to record during flight and then you can use these clips in the Skypixel video editing tab. Under general settings (see screen shot).
I never used this feature before until about two months ago I tired it. To be honest I am not sure how this got turned on and when.

image1.PNG

Hope this helps

Rich
2016-8-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-18 02:12
Hi Ken
The 720k streaming to the tablet is used to record during flight and then you can use these ...

Ahh, I see now what you were talking about.
Yes it does record if you have it enabled.
2016-8-17
Use props
abroadenedhoriz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4475331 ft
  • >>>
United States

AHHHH so stoked to read this post! My I1P arrived and was checked in on the 17th. I read so many old posts about lacking customer service and insane repair cues leading to 4-6 weeks (or more) to get back to flying. Seeing this post gives me a lot of hope!
2016-8-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

abroadenedhoriz Posted at 2016-8-18 13:10
AHHHH so stoked to read this post! My I1P arrived and was checked in on the 17th. I read so many old ...

I really think they are changing the way the repair timing is treated! I hope for your speedy return. Of course it could depend on the extent of the damage or repairs required..

Post your results as soon as you can

Rich
2016-8-18
Use props
abroadenedhoriz
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-19 07:53
I really think they are changing the way the repair timing is treated! I hope for your speedy retu ...

Well I guess i spoke too soon. Im now in a dispute with DJI.  During my pre-crash flight everything was going well. I was flying a small park with a spotter when we noticed the aircraft starting to drift while still following my controls. I tried to correct the action and signal a RTH but it was too late and the I1P drifted too far and into the tree line. DJI is saying since I was on the controls I am responsible for the repair costs and that I should've let it crash or fly away on its own and it would be covered. I am now waiting for the actual invoice so that I can start a dispute to hopefully get this taken care of. Let the waiting begin...
2016-8-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

abroadenedhoriz Posted at 2016-8-22 11:12
Well I guess i spoke too soon. Im now in a dispute with DJI.  During my pre-crash flight everythin ...

This is a tuff situation for sure.

Sorry man, I can see their point if you were controlling it during the time of the crash it would be hard to see the drifting...  Darn it anyway,  lets see if DJI will help you out on the invoice

Rich
2016-8-22
Use props
dustindilworth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 497530 ft
United States

[edited]

[edit] Nevermind! The status just updated to free of charge. My experience has been really great so far, too. It arrived and was checked in yestserday, repaired and tested today. If only UPS could ship a little faster, lol

When you received the DJI email after your Inspire was checked in, did it look like this? The wording of this email has me concerned, since it mentions 'damage' and an 'invoice'. My Inspire was never flown, much less damaged, and it is under warranty since it's brand new. Just checking! Thanks!
Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 3.24.18 PM.png
2016-8-23
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

abroadenedhoriz Posted at 2016-8-22 14:12
Well I guess i spoke too soon. Im now in a dispute with DJI.  During my pre-crash flight everythin ...

Wait, this exact same drifting happened to me except I wasn't even touching the controls when it crashed because I literally put down the controller to chase after it.   They actually first said that I hit a tree, and I guess they noticed that it couldn't have reached a tree because it was so low.   In actuality my drone just started to drift for no apparent reason and I did let it crash because I didn't want to chop my fingers off , so I don't think they would have actually covered your expenses regardless.  Luckily we have 3 witnesses and are going to contest this, however I'm very interested in your experience.  Also, what type of dispute can you make against DJI short of a lawsuit?  If they decide that they won't pay for damages and deem it not there responsibility, what can you do (besides getting a lawyer)?
2016-8-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

dustindilworth Posted at 2016-8-23 12:36
[edit] Nevermind! The status just updated to free of charge. My experience has been really great so  ...

Dustin this is good new for sure. Thanks for sharing your experience.  

You should be flying again soon!!

Rich
2016-8-23
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Krankie Posted at 2016-8-23 20:10
Wait, this exact same drifting happened to me except I wasn't even touching the controls when it c ...

sorry for your dilemma krankie. All DJI has to base there decisions is the aircraft data files and apparent evidence.  
If you can provide them with some video or photo evidence of the problem it could help your case?
Hopefully you will get some help... hang in there.

Rich
2016-8-23
Use props
abroadenedhoriz
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I'm still waiting to receive the invoice. its been 5 (business) days now and still nothing. I cannot challenge or dispute anything until the invoice. Its really got me stressed out. After investing almost 10K I was hoping for a bit better customer service. I have ready several forum posts about uncontrolled drifting, hopefully this will help sway DJI into my favor. I honestly can't afford 1k in repair costs right now. Sure wish I had gone ahead with insurance instead of waiting. Will update once I have more info.
2016-8-25
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-17 12:14
Ahh, I see now what you were talking about.
Yes it does record if you have it enabled.

Hey Ken, could you look into this situation please.
For:
abroadenedhoriz
"
I'm still waiting to receive the invoice. its been 5 (business) days now and still nothing. I cannot challenge or dispute anything until the invoice. Its really got me stressed out. After investing almost 10K I was hoping for a bit better customer service. I have ready several forum posts about uncontrolled drifting, hopefully this will help sway DJI into my favor. I honestly can't afford 1k in repair costs right now. Sure wish I had gone ahead with insurance instead of waiting. Will update once I have more info. "

thanks

Rich
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

abroadenedhoriz Posted at 2016-8-25 20:27
I'm still waiting to receive the invoice. its been 5 (business) days now and still nothing. I cannot ...

What is your ticket# and I will look into it.
If they reviewed the flight data recorder and said it was user error then I cannot change that. But I will see why you haven't received the invoice.
You said it drifted away, was the aircraft in ATTI mode ?
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-25 23:39
Hey Ken, could you look into this situation please.
For:
abroadenedhoriz

Got it Rich, thanks.
2016-8-25
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you Ken.... that was fast!!  I understand that everyone has individual circumstances that can affect the outcome. I hope that DJI can help as this one sounds like it could go either way.

PS: didn't want SO CAL to feel lonely, we have some fires locally that have been challenging.... I hope we can get some rain early this year.   

Rich
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-26 00:38
Thank you Ken.... that was fast!!  I understand that everyone has individual circumstances that ca ...

No problem, here to help if I can.
2016-8-25
Use props
unsatisfied

Hong Kong

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-8-27
Use props
abroadenedhoriz
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Hi Ken, still haven't heard anything from DJI as of yet. No invoice, nothing. The I1P was received on the 17th and the only info I have was that it was tested and determined not to be warranty work. I reached out to flight analytics ( I think the name was Summer) to try and explain further what had happened and that several other posts on the forums were talking about the same issues leading up to a crash or failure and I still have heard nothing. Im really stressed out. After it was all said and done I invested close to 10K in this UAV and less than 2 weeks after arriving its down for the count with no info. here is my RMA number CAS-220730-Q2H3T2 let me know what you can find out. Thanks dude!
2016-8-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

abroadenedhoriz Posted at 2016-8-28 17:17
Hi Ken, still haven't heard anything from DJI as of yet. No invoice, nothing. The I1P was received o ...

Sorry you are still waiting to sort this out...

Hopefully Ken will get this moving for you

Rich
2016-8-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-25 10:23
No problem, here to help if I can.

Hi Ken,

Could you check into this again please

""Hi Ken, still haven't heard anything from DJI as of yet. No invoice, nothing. The I1P was received on the 17th and the only info I have was that it was tested and determined not to be warranty work. I reached out to flight analytics ( I think the name was Summer) to try and explain further what had happened and that several other posts on the forums were talking about the same issues leading up to a crash or failure and I still have heard nothing. Im really stressed out. After it was all said and done I invested close to 10K in this UAV and less than 2 weeks after arriving its down for the count with no info. here is my RMA number CAS-220730-Q2H3T2 let me know what you can find out. Thanks dude! ""

Rich
2016-8-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-29 11:17
Sorry you are still waiting to sort this out...

Hopefully Ken will get this moving for you

Message sent.
2016-8-29
Use props
abroadenedhoriz
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Yeah thats what Im nervous about, I was on the sticks at the time of the crash, but it was clear to myself, my spotter and everyone else watching that the aircraft had started to drift. I have read a few other posts of people experiencing uncontrolled drift. I hope this will help sway them. Otherwise, I am screwed, this drone was given as an investment gift in my future. I can't afford 1k in repairs so basically I'll have a really expensive paperweight if I cannot get this settled with DJI. Thanks again for your help Ken.
2016-8-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules