DJI Mobile Downgrade to DJI Osmo?
1813 5 2016-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RegDawg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54091 ft
United States

I have the original DJI Osmo and am considering selling to get the Mobile. I'm just wondering if that woudl be a downgrade though. I have a S7 Edge, Note 5, and iphone 6Plus in my home that woudl use the Mobile. I believe all these phones also shoot in 4K. The one thing that is cumbersome sometimes is putting the Osmo together to start shooting. I figure with the Mobile, attach the phone, start the app and its ready to go.

Feedback is appreciated.

2016-10-16
Use props
Skint
lvl.2
New Zealand

Try recording a long video with your phones first, my concern would be the onboard storage and battery life when recording a long segment. If you are after ease of use get and old mobile like nexus 5 dedicated to the Osmo and you can setup programs to autorun and turn off all the bluetooth etc to help with battery life.
2016-10-16
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

S7E and Note 5 currently can't shoot 4K in DJI Go, but will be supported with the next Android update. iPhone 6p can shoot in 4K now
2016-10-17
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

When comparing the setup times between Osmo and Osmo Mobile there is no comparison. I had the original Osmo and ended up selling it for a variety of reasons (poor support, hideous battery life, etc.). Battery runs down very quickly with the original Osmo and phone as well so its necessary to power it off between clips during shooting. To power it back up consumes a chunk of battery life and you have to wait for WiFi to reconnect etc. With the Osmo Mobile it literally takes 2 seconds to turn on and off between shots, double tap the home button to turn on the phone camera and just slide the Osmo power button on and it instantly stabilizes... done and ready to shoot.

For comparison in battery life... I could barely get 20 minutes of shooting time with the original Osmo. In contrast, I just got back from Hawaii where I hiked into the mountains with the Osmo Mobile (video coming soon) and I used it on and off for 10 hours with one Osmo battery and with my Note 7 (save your exploding phone comments, I already returned it) default camera app in airplane mode the phone still had 20% after shooting more than 40gigs of 4K video footage (mostly in <20 second clips), no BS!! To turn it on and off when wanting to capture a clip was almost instantaneous! With the Mobile I had zero time charging or changing batteries. If I had taken the original Osmo I would have needed dozens of batteries and my phone continually plugged into my external battery pack to capture the footage I did and waiting for the original Osmo to turn back on every time I wanted to capture a clip would have been painful.

Version depends on the persons use. I am a casual shooter so the Mobile is perfect for me. For more professional use the other Osmos may be better suited.
2016-10-17
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>

I have the original Osmo too and was trying to figure out about getting the mobile and getting rid of the other. One reason I would keep the original is that you can mount the camera somewhere, like on the hood of your car and then control it from your phone while you're inside. You won't be able to do something like that with the mobile but you might never want that ability. I more commonly mount the Osmo to an extendable painters pole while I hold my phone to control it and that allows me to get drone style views without needing a drone or having the noise and safety issues.
2016-10-30
Use props
Ey1990
lvl.2
Hong Kong

personally i think one thing makes the original osmo n the osmo+ much better than the osmo mobile is that these two can use the Z-axis...
2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules