Mavic Preproduction Model Part Genius Part Lemon
1328 7 2016-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cactus Bert
lvl.3

Canada

As we all wait in anticipation for our drones we all ordered it gives me lots of time to research almost every review that I could find. I came to an honest conclusion the Mavic pre production model is part genius, part Lemon. There seems to be a new buzz word created for blurry or out  of focus that new word is soft focus. In photography soft focus is something you do to the photo to give it an overall equal blurry look to  give it an effect or mood change. In the old days professional photographers would actually put a thin layer of oil on a lens to get  that effect. {Long before digital or Photoshop} Now reviewers are trying to soften the blow of the camera being blurry by using this catchy phrase.

One more thing I noticed is that the reviewers are telling others that they are not hitting the screen enough to keep the camera in focus. What this is telling me is the camera is not doing it's job and the operator has to do it manualy. This shouldn't even be necessary with a digital 4K camera.

The above statement gives my reasons why the Mavic Preproduction model is part lemon.  If you take an existing camera and tweak it and the photo's in general are not as good as the original then there is a word for that, Lemon.
The genius part is easy to see, wow what a drone. The size, the safety measures put into place and the overall stability of it. Awesome!!! I  ordered one!!

On a funny bone note I noticed a few reviewers having trouble with the  name Mavic. The Chinese can easily say Phantom but Maverick most Chinese can't prononce their "R's" when speaking English so it has now become the Mavic Pro.
I very much look forward to the real release of the Mavic Pro with the 4K camera.
These are just my thoughts on the delay issue, what are yours?   

2016-10-18
Use props
devinolsen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123274 ft
Canada

This isn't the right answer at all.
The blurry focus issue isn't an issue at all, it's a new feature that people are not used to yet. The Phantoms have their focus set to unlimited and this is not something that you can change. As a result you cannot get any "depth" in the photos and videos that you take since everything is in focus at all times.
With the Mavic you can set the focus on objects closer than 20 meters (I'm not 100% sure of that number) and as a result objects far away will be out of focus, or if you click on an object past the 20 meter mark the focus will set itself to unlimited.
The only issue I see here is that it's not clearly explained how this works, nobody takes the time to read manuals nowadays. Likely what will happen is they will have the focus default to unlimited and users can set close focus if they want afterwards.

Anyways this is not a production issue and is certainly not the reason the Mavic is delayed for everyone.
2016-10-18
Use props
Cactus Bert
lvl.3

Canada

devinolsen@gmai Posted at 2016-10-18 19:11
This isn't the right answer at all.
The blurry focus issue isn't an issue at all, it's a new featur ...

If this is true and all the reviewers don't read instructions and are not capable of taking photographs of close ups using their Mavics. I find that a bit of a stretch to say the least.
Is that the reason there is not even one photograph on the internet of a close up (2' - 3') away?  
I did see one recent video of a Mavic being used as a hedge trimmer! I thought it was supposed to stay 2 feet away from objects? Obviously it was operator error but what about the sensor?
2016-10-18
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft

Cactus Bert Posted at 2016-10-19 10:24
If this is true and all the reviewers don't read instructions and are not capable of taking photog ...

Anti-collision sensors are forward facing only. Mavic or Phantom 4 can not detect objects on the sides, rear or top. Pilots need to keep that in mind when flying.
2016-10-18
Use props
Morgon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104393 ft
United States

Cactus Bert Posted at 2016-10-18 22:24
If this is true and all the reviewers don't read instructions and are not capable of taking photog ...

Early reviewers were not given instruction manuals to direct them to the feature that is different from every other device in this category. It was a huge oversight from DJI for sure, but aside from the very earliest reviews, we have not seen very many "soft focus" shots (FliteTest did have one in their cuts, but admitted that they had forgotten to focus).

Whether you consider this a useful feature is up to you, but it is something that (currently) needs to be managed as part of your pre-flight checklist. Simply tapping the screen on a far-away object (like the sky itself) is the most you'll have to do if that's what you're looking for. For others, the ability to focus provides more flexibility and creative possibilities in their footage.

Either way, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of the camera, and recent videos from iPhonedo and NewsShooter unequivocally prove this.
2016-10-18
Use props
Cactus Bert
lvl.3

Canada

Morgon Posted at 2016-10-18 21:58
Early reviewers were not given instruction manuals to direct them to the feature that is different  ...

Your absolutely correct about videos from iPhonedo. He does a great review on the camera as well as comparisons with the Phantom 4. I really like his idea about using the C1 button on the bottom of the remote for focusing. There should be a video on how to do that!

I couldn't find Newsshooters videos so I can't comment on that one.
2016-10-18
Use props
Morgon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104393 ft
United States

Cactus Bert Posted at 2016-10-19 01:46
Your absolutely correct about videos from iPhonedo. He does a great review on the camera as well a ...

I don't think it was iPhonedo's idea for focusing using C1, I'm pretty sure it's configured that way out of the box. But either way, it can be configured, and you're right, it's a great feature.

https://vimeo.com/danchung Specifically the 'UHD Test Footage' and the 'UHD Resolution Testing'
2016-10-18
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

If a captured image isn't in focus at the time of shooting then no amount of tweaking will make it in focus using an image/video editor afterwards. This should tell you that the "softer" (not out of focus) capture of the Mavic compared to the P4 is down to in camera processing that can be altered in post production, to achieve the look you want. The Mavic uses the same sensor as the P4 but the glass (lens) is smaller. Whether this smaller lens is inferior to the P4 is unknown. Look at how a mobile phone lens compared to the results from a small digital camera say 5 years ago, and compare that to the quality these small lenses on phones can produce now. One reviewer described the standard setting in both the P4 and Mavic as watching a sharp TV soap style broadcast (P4) to more of a cinematic look in the Mavic. Its down to personal taste rather than which is better.
2016-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules