13390 60 2016-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfd111ee0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595059 ft
United States

Hi,

My Mavic Pro arrived yesterday and I love it! Incredible drone.

I played around with the different modes, and can't seem to get Follow me and Activ Track working properly. The gimbal adjust and tries to keep me in view, however the drone does not change position and follows me around (does not translate).

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Alpha 5 (GPS seems to be working fine as I see the blue dot on the map) and using 3.0.1 DJI Go App.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2016-11-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

When trying to FM and Activ Track, do you see any messages pop out on the screen?
Have you tried another mobile device with great GPS signal?
What's the current firmware version for the aircraft.
2016-11-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

By the way, please record a video of this issue if the problem persists.
2016-11-6
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

I'm having the same issue and was looking for other posts regarding this. Neither "Active Track" nor "Follow Me" modes work properly. As fansfd111ee0 says, "Active Track" will keep the camera on me but the drone will not move. Defeats the purpose. "Follow Me" does not work at all. It just hovers and doesn't even move an inch.

The firmware says it is up to date. I am using the Samsung Galaxy S5. While I could see this being a problem with the DJI Go App on Android or the firmware, this is not an issue with my phone or its GPS. "Follow Me" used to work with the Phantom 3 4k until a firmware update broke it:

And the Follow mode works beautifully on my 3DR Solo:

Here is a video of me trying to use "Active Track" on the DJI Mavic. As you can see, the drone does not move and eventually loses me when I get too far:

There's no need for a video of "Follow Me" since the drone does not move, track, or do anything at all. It just hovers in place and does absolutely nothing. Again, do NOT blame this on my phone's GPS, you can see the above videos of the P3 4k and the 3DR Solo with the same phone.

These modes seem to get worse with every drone and no one at DJI seems to care. The drones get glowing reviews and people talk about the "intelligent" modes, but apparently no one actually tries them and I guess DJI just owns all the reviewers. The least you can do is give us a working Follow mode since you put 3DR out of business, and they were the only ones who made a drone with a good Follow mode.
2016-11-6
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

Give us a screen shot when you draw a green box around you and when it is enabled.  Have you removed and reinstalled the App on your phone?  Is VSS enabled/Object Avoidance?  
2016-11-6
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

Oof this sucks. I bet DJI chalks it up to pilot error ha
2016-11-6
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

Ok, Active Track was actually my fault- after marking the object I didn't hit OK. It's working (more or less) now- not sure if fansfd111ee0 had the same problem. But I'm really not interested in Active Track. I want to do videos like the Pacific Coast one I posted above, and for that I need Follow Me. Active Track doesn't work more than a few feet away, is slow and would lose me.

Is anyone looking into Follow Me? It's been messed up since the P4 came out and now does nothing. Not sure if this is an Android-specific issue or not.
2016-11-6
Use props
fansfd111ee0
lvl.2
United States

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. Sorry for the late check in. Been out all day.

I actually had the same issue like brettt, where I didn't confirm the Active Track by hitting "OK". That's 75% my fault and 25% not very clear UI design? I think it would be clearer to have the "OK" bottom in the little settings tab on the side. So Active Track works for me.

Follow me still does not work. Drone does not do anything, just sits there. I figured the "OK" thing at the very end of the battery run, so I didn't get a chance to try it again and see if there is another "hidden" confirmation to enable the mode. If anybody else figures out a tip on Follow me, please let us know.

Thank you, still loving the Mavic!
2016-11-6
Use props
fansfd111ee0
lvl.2
United States

brettt Posted at 2016-11-6 06:51
I'm having the same issue and was looking for other posts regarding this. Neither "Active Track" nor ...

Thanks brettt for your help. Love your videos!
2016-11-6
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fansfd111ee0 Posted at 2016-11-6 19:52
Thank you everyone for your quick replies. Sorry for the late check in. Been out all day.

I actuall ...

Follow Me requires a good GPS signal on the part of your device.  If you do not have that the results will be less than optimal.  Thank you for your feedback on the Active Track.  It is a optical system so it has distance limitations.
2016-11-6
Use props
fansfd111ee0
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Tahoe Ed,

I tried it on two different mobile devices. I believe both of them have good GPS signal. This is confirmed by the blue dot (me with controller) moving accurately on the map. I wonder if I'm missing something like I did in "Active Track" Mode.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans6f073374
lvl.1

United States

That sucks.
2016-11-6
Use props
troyfisher
lvl.1

United States

2016-11-6
Use props
fans55f2f3e8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 742093 ft

Follow Me doesn't work with my S7 Edge. I think it is compatibility issue. I tested my drone with iPhone 6 and Follow Me worked well. DJI has a list of recommended (fully tested or compatible) phones but it doesn't include some new phones yet.
2016-11-6
Use props
Mistral
lvl.2
United States

Does anybody know if DJI will keep adding to the list of phones that are compatible?

Thanks
2016-11-6
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-7 04:03
Follow Me requires a good GPS signal on the part of your device.  If you do not have that the resu ...

Are you saying that previously Follow Me used the GPS of the device to follow the GPS of the aircraft, whereas now it's an optical system? Just trying to understand this better.

Those earlier videos in this thread are pretty amazing!
2016-11-7
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

fans55f2f3e8 Posted at 2016-11-7 00:52
Follow Me doesn't work with my S7 Edge. I think it is compatibility issue. I tested my drone with iP ...

I'm using follow me and ActiveTrack on my Samsung S7 Edge and it works just as intended.
2016-11-7
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

m326 Posted at 2016-11-7 16:51
Are you saying that previously Follow Me used the GPS of the device to follow the GPS of the aircr ...

m326 those are two different functions.  Active Track is optical, Follow Me is based on GPS of your device.
2016-11-7
Use props
fans55f2f3e8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 742093 ft

No Man's Drone Posted at 2016-11-7 18:16
I'm using follow me and ActiveTrack on my Samsung S7 Edge and it works just as intended.

Active Track works well, but not Follow Me. Could you confirm Follow Me mode works well with you S7 Edge?

Did you make any specific setting change to your phone for DJI App, e.g. permissions?
2016-11-7
Use props
Mistral
lvl.2

No Man's Drone Posted at 2016-11-7 18:16

Thanks again for the replies.

I'm curious too, what you did exactly to get Follow me to work with the Samsung.

You are using it with phone attached to the remote, right? Any specific settings on your phone?

Thanks.
2016-11-7
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

To reiterate, Follow Me USED to work well on my Phantom 3 4k (video above) with the same phone I have now, the Galaxy S5 (and no there's no extra "OK" for this mode). When the P4 was released, DJI released new firmware and it got messed up- the max speed dropped from about 33 mph to 20 mph, and it behaved more erratically. Follow Me works perfectly on the 3DR Solo (Pacific Coast video above), but apparently DJI is putting them out of business.

This is NOT a GPS issue. It's not really even a phone issue- it USED to work on DJI products with the same phone I have now. It's a firmware/programming issue- things got screwed up somehow, and now if anyone complains they say it must be your GPS or phone's fault. They even say it repeatedly when you show videos proving it's not true.
2016-11-7
Use props
Mistral
lvl.2
United States

Tried it again today and looked for hidden buttons. No luck. Will try with a friends iphone tomorrow.

Right now i believe its a bug in the app.

If others experience the same thing or if it works for you, please let us know.
2016-11-8
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

Can someone from DJI confirm that this will be investigated? It seems likely that Follow Me does not work with Android phones. Anymore. It used to a long time ago.
2016-11-13
Use props
Mistral
lvl.2
United States

I tested it with a iPhone6s on the same drone and remote and Follow Me worked fine. Seems to be an Android phone bug.

DJI can you please look into this issue?

Thank you.
2016-11-14
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425049 ft
Australia

Just a little feedback from my experiences running iPhone 7 on IOS 10.0.1.

Tested out follow me the first day I flew the Mavic. Worked very well. I walked several hundred meters before I stopped and head back straight at the Mavic. I watched the camera track my directly underneath before I got a subject lost message. It only lost me for about a second before it found me again simply by turning around and following on the trajectory I was on before it lost me. This to me suggests that there is some intelligence built in.

Also tried Active Track on the weekend with my car through some paddocks. I was incredibly impressed by this. Started off with the Mavic hovering at approx 10m up and 30m in front of the car looking back towards me. I approached the Mavic and it initially started to fly backwards. Once I started to catch it, it headed out to the right of me and continued to track me as I headed past before comming in behind and following me. It followed me for approx 1.2km before I stopped. I was particularly impressed by the fact it kept tracking me even when I approached 50km/h.

Still learning how all the features work but very much enjoying the process and the results.
2016-11-14
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

So DJI drones work with an iPhone, and if you have Android you're SOL... greeeeeat. DJI, help? Anyone there?

AusAir that doesn't actually sound like Follow Me mode, it's supposed to move with you based on your phone's GPS, not track you then lose you. Maybe you're talking about another Active Track mode.
2016-11-14
Use props
Sonduren
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86345 ft
Canada

There must be a way to fix this for one of the most popular phones out there.  I have the S7 and cannot get follow me to work like many of you and it's annoying as shit
2016-11-14
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Australia

It was follow me. (Click drone icon in the DJI GO app then swipe to the second screen. Option on top right is follow me). Highlight yourself on the screen then tap go, only without the minimum altitude of 10m as with Active Track. In this mode it didn't lose me until i walked directly under it, but as mentioned, it kept panning in the direction I was walking until it found me again.
2016-11-14
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

AusAir: Interesting... if that's true, maybe there's a glitch in the iPhone version too. That's definitely Active Track and not Follow Me. I don't have any screenshots, but this is Follow Me back on the P3:

There's no box, no "Go", you just enter "Follow Me" and it follows you based on your GPS (this shot would never work with Active Track which is why I need Follow Me back). On the Android version, the buttons behave exactly the same as it used to on the P3, only the Mavic doesn't do anything. It sounds like on iPhone it's just taking you to Active Track.

Can anyone else with iPhone test it?

Still waiting for DJI to say something...
2016-11-14
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Australia

I don't know why but it must be different on Android. There's a seperate option for follow me which doesn't present with the minimum altitude warning that ActiveTrack does when it's below 10m.
2016-11-14
Use props
Mistral
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for all the replies guys!

When I tried "Follow Me" this morning on a iPhone 6s, there was no box, no "green OK" (That is like brettt mentioned Active Track). Follow Me on iPhone only has an "Apply" button. Once hit, the Mavic Follows the phone's GPS information.

In my mind everything seems to work fine on the iPhone... Androids (at least my Samsung Galaxy Alpha 5) seem to have a bug in Follow Me.

DJI, can we please fix this in a DJI GO App update?

Thank you.
2016-11-14
Use props
Sonduren
lvl.2
Canada

Has anyone found any workaround for this?
2016-11-15
Use props
Homerlovesbeer
lvl.2

Australia

Following with interest
2016-11-15
Use props
Sonduren
lvl.2
Canada

I've scoured the internet for any information it doesn't seem anyone has a solution or workaround. Really disappointed right now... DJI can we please give us some confirmation as to what is going on? Does anyone out there have a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge where the follow me feature actually works?
2016-11-15
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

Two new drones announced, Inspire 2 and P4 Pro... guess there's no time to fix old drones when a couple new ones come out every month. The P4 Pro has a built-in screen, so maybe they'll end up deprecating the apps anyway and never fix this.

If anyone else has this problem and wants Follow Me to work on Android, please post so they get the idea.
2016-11-16
Use props
Sonduren
lvl.2
Canada

This is a serious problem and I want an answer from DJI.
2016-11-17
Use props
Mistral
lvl.2
United States

I guess brettt, Sonduren and I are the only ones with an android phone... ;-)
2016-11-17
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

Mistral Posted at 2016-11-18 06:04
I guess brettt, Sonduren and I are the only ones with an android phone... ;-)

I am using Samsung Note 5. Both Follow Me and all 3 Active Track modes work as intended.
2016-11-18
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Exactly the same problems here.

Active track will work where the gimbal moves but the drone doesn't. That is suppose to happen right? But when in active track profile mode the Mavic should follow me, but it does't.

In 'follow me' mode with follow me showing on the controller, the Mavic just sits there hovering and doesn't move at all.

I'm using the very latest app v3.1.0 and a Sony Xperia z5.

GPS is showing as full signal, but still the Mavic does nothing. It's disappointing as this is what I bought the Mavic for.
2016-11-19
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

On Active Track, make sure you hit "Go" after drawing the box, a couple of us made that mistake.

Follow Me, however, is another story- that doesn't work, it seems to be a problem on some android phones- Samsung Galaxy S5 and S7, we can add the Sony Xperia z5 to that. I'm guessing it's most of them. Wandering Cloud said it works on the Samsung Note 5. We're waiting for DJI to acknowledge.
2016-11-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules