4557 33 2016-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
67pa8lb0Q0T6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I bought the polar pro filters since I use them alot for scuba diving and assumed it would make my drone shots look good as well.

If I attached the filter before I power on the drone, I would get an error saying the gimbal is obstructed because when the startup checks the gimbal range of motion the filter gets in the way. I called Polar Pro and they said I should add the filter only after I have powered up. But if I do so it means I have to hold down the gimbal while I attach the filter. I don't normally have a stable surface to hold the drone and attach the filter so that means the gimbal's motor will be actively trying to stabalize itself while I hold it down and attach the filter. Is this bad for the gimbal motor?

Thanks,
Jon

2016-12-5
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

Yes... If you are on a rocking/moving vehicle such as a boat, then once the Mavic is on, the gimble will sway/compensate for the movement, resulting in the gimble moving.  Trying to put on the filters in this situation could cause the gimble to overload, and could break the gimble as a result.  I would suggest you return these filters and wait for the Polar Pro Cinema filters or the Taco-RC filters, which are supposed to be able to be installed before initialisation.
2016-12-5
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

As MavicUser said, I'll be waiting for the Polar Pro Cinema filters because you can install them before you power the drone on eliminating this whole issue

2016-12-5
Use props
fansebeed138
lvl.2
United States

so what is the difference between the PolarPro DJI Mavic Filter Professional 6-Pack, and the Polar Pro Cinema filters?

2016-12-5
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Canada

fansebeed138 Posted at 2016-12-5 20:45
so what is the difference between the PolarPro DJI Mavic Filter Professional 6-Pack, and the Polar Pro Cinema filters?

Due to the design, the current filters from Polarpro need to be installed AFTER the Mavic has been turned on and the gimble has completed initialisation... The size of the current filters will block the gimble from completing initialisation when powered on with the filters attached.

The Polarpro Cinema filters are supposed to made from thinner/higher quality glass with a thinner aluminium frame that will fit more closely to the camera, allowing the gimble free movement in all direction and able to complete gimble initialisation from startup.
2016-12-6
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51093 ft
Italy

Does the Taco-RC can always be applied to the Mavic? I have already cancelled my Polar Pro order because I don't want to cause problem to my mavic gimbal.
2016-12-6
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Canada

CC8877 Posted at 2016-12-6 01:08
Does the Taco-RC can always be applied to the Mavic? I have already cancelled my Polar Pro order because I don't want to cause problem to my mavic gimbal.

Taco-RC Installation Video:
2016-12-6
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Italy

MavicUser Posted at 2016-12-6 10:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6J4l4mJtmg

Thank you very much MavicUser. Really appreciated. I will go for Taco-RC filter set.
2016-12-6
Use props
FlyLowandSlow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3505518 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone tried the taco-rc filters? How is the filter quality?
2016-12-6
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Italy

FlyLowandSlow Posted at 2016-12-6 16:29
Has anyone tried the taco-rc filters? How is the filter quality?

Ordered five minutes ago

Hope they don't take half of my life to arrive
2016-12-6
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Jon,

Here is a good installation video:
2016-12-6
Use props
67pa8lb0Q0T6
lvl.3
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-6 09:28
Hi Jon,

Here is a good installation video:

Jeff,

I saw that video, but I don't like holding the gimbal when it is powered on since it will be actively trying to compensate. Most of the time when I launch my drone I will not be on a stable enough surface to make sure the gimbal doesn't move while I push the cap on.

I tried it once yesterday and I really don't like how tight it is while the gimbal is obviously trying to compensate. The video after I did this was horrifying because the gimbal became jerky and I thought I broke something. I repowered up the drone and it works fine again but I am not using your filters again until there is an option to put it on prior to power up.

Thanks,
Jon
2016-12-6
Use props
FlyLowandSlow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3505518 ft
  • >>>
United States

CC8877 Posted at 2016-12-6 07:47
Ordered five minutes ago

Hope they don't take half of my life to arrive

let us know when they arrive
2016-12-6
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Italy

Yes for sure. I asked for fast shipment but it cost same as the complete filters set. So I got the free one.
2016-12-6
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

67pa8lb0Q0T6 Posted at 2016-12-6 08:39
Jeff,

I saw that video, but I don't like holding the gimbal when it is powered on since it will be actively trying to compensate. Most of the time when I launch my drone I will not be on a stable enough surface to make sure the gimbal doesn't move while I push the cap on.

No Problem Jon, if you would like to set up a return we are more than happy to assist. Feedback has been heard loud and clear and we have made the design changes.
Thanks!
-Jeff
2016-12-6
Use props
Kep1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 255984 ft
China

Hi polarpro,
I did not get my filters yet but I want to send them back as soon as they arrive in Germany. It's a big dealbreaker to handle the activated gimble for each battery i will be flying with. How to proceed?
2016-12-8
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

Kep1 Posted at 2016-12-8 06:05
Hi polarpro,
I did not get my filters yet but I want to send them back as soon as they arrive in Germany. It's a big dealbreaker to handle the activated gimble for each battery i will be flying with. How to proceed?

Where did you buy it from? I bought mine from Amazon so I just printed a return request. But if you bought it from Polar Pro, I would call/email them directly and ask how to proceed.
2016-12-12
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

MavicUser Posted at 2016-12-6 01:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6J4l4mJtmg

2016-12-12
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
United States

2016-12-12
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have these. I have the 4 set though.
You can install before powering on and it initialises fine. It weighs ~1.5grams. Only concern is quality of optic glass. I have used it and it seems ok. But that's because I have nothing to compare it to.
2016-12-12
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100807 ft
Australia

Got my Taco-RC filters today. Fit fine and no problems with the gimbal. Quality seems ok. It would be hard to make a filter that small perfect.
Will do a test flight later to see..
2016-12-12
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
United States

DaveAus Posted at 2016-12-12 18:44
Got my Taco-RC filters today. Fit fine and no problems with the gimbal. Quality seems ok. It would be hard to make a filter that small perfect.
Will do a test flight later to see..

Great, show us some video... Make sure clean lenses with approved lenses cloth, just in case of finger prints.
2016-12-13
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

What did you mean quality is "ok"?
2016-12-13
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

OhOhDrone Posted at 2016-12-13 16:30
What did you mean quality is "ok"?

The new Cinema Series Filters are available for preorder now.
Thanks to everyones great feedback, these will be able to stay on 100% of the time.

PolarPro Mavic Cinema Series Filters

Let me know if you guys have any questions on them!
-Jeff
2016-12-13
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 577543 ft
Czechia

Just recieved yesterday - cinema series.

2017-1-12
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the video. I got mine too but have not been able to try it outside due to the constant heavy snow. I will get it out there and post videos with the filters.
2017-1-12
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I don't like the gold color, too flamboyant for me! Waiting for the mailman on pgy. He likes to ace ventura the packages
2017-1-12
Use props
Mr. Hayato
lvl.4
Flight distance : 781299 ft
Hong Kong

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... id=78066&page=1

Some PGY filter may have QC problem. It will not pass initialization.
2017-1-12
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Mr. Hayato Posted at 2017-1-12 18:17
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=78066&page=1

Some PGY filter may have QC problem. It will not pass initialization.

They just came in, it inits no problem. I'll have to test tomorrow and see how it goes with the cpl.
2017-1-12
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

whats better DJI filters or these other 3rd party filters?
2017-1-12
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-1-12 15:02
I don't like the gold color, too flamboyant for me! Waiting for the mailman on pgy. He likes to ace ventura the packages

LOL....loved the Ace Ventura reference
2017-1-13
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

I'm also freaked out by pressuring the gimbal while applying the filters. I did find it helpful to reinsert the gimbal lock after  letting the gimbal initialize, and rely on that to help stabilize it while applying the filter and then remove it again (if it's not designed to work with initialisation . In winter weather its going to be an increasing challenge. The other day I found doing this on a cold day was very hard as obviously dexterity is problematic in the cold.  Your fingers are also drier, so getting hold of it is harder as well.   I opted for the PP cinema series as Jeff mentioned that in addition to it being fine installed as the gimbal initializes, it should also fit more easily. They arrived the other day, but haven't had the chance to test it yet.
2017-1-13
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

BentonJoyce Posted at 2017-1-12 18:42
whats better DJI filters or these other 3rd party filters?

I don't know of the others. I have used PolarPro before for my scuba diving activities and have been happy with their products. So that is that.
2017-1-13
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
United States

Here is a video I shot with the new ND4 filter from Polar Pro. It seemed great and no reflection on the edges. I am not happy with the video quality though but suspect that is due to the time I shot (dusk) or my settings.

For the purpose of this thread, the filter fit perfectly without much pushing and it stayed on. I of course put the filter on prior to turning on the drone.

https://www.skypixel.com/videos/ ... ;utm_campaign=share
2017-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules