Carbon Fiber propellers?????
26598 17 2016-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

I have a question about carbon fiber propellers. When I think about them I think about the difference between getting an accidental cut to missing fingers. Regular props break if they have to much load from any angle so they protect the motor to some degree.
But I've never owned carbon fiber propellers so I'm not sure of the value in them.
What's the consensus on fiber carbon props? Anyone using them?
2016-12-6
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425049 ft
Australia

I have CF props on other multirotors. They're much lighter and spin up much faster than regular plastic or composite props resulting in improved responsiveness. The downside is they don't handle prop strikes very well and are pretty much completely useless after all but the most gentle of strikes where as standard props will be more forgiving. They're also typically a whole heap more expensive than standard props.
2016-12-6
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

I just read a bunch of reviews on carbon fiber props and the consensus on fiber carbon props was that they actually slowed down flying time by 25% and any slight touch to the props resulted in breakage.
The thread started out positive towards CF but as I read further it started to become clear that CB is not for my drones.

http://diydrones.com/forum/topic ... rops-vibration-test
2016-12-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic props are made up of both plastic and carbon fiber. Still, very dangerous if hit by them.
2016-12-6
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-6 17:06
The Mavic props are made up of both plastic and carbon fiber. Still, very dangerous if hit by them.

I find that very interesting. Made for strength and flexibility I would assume.

I wondered why a CF prop would loose flight time? My thought was perhaps it was too light and didn't carry kinetic energy on the outer ends of the props when spinning?
Anybody understand the principle behind CF props not being as efficient?
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Free Bird Posted at 2016-12-7 23:38
I find that very interesting. Made for strength and flexibility I would assume.

I wondered why a CF prop would loose flight time? My thought was perhaps it was too light and didn't carry kinetic energy on the outer ends of the props when spinning?

I don't know statistics materials used in props.
I do know that the Mavic props will hurt you much more than stock Phantom props.
2016-12-8
Use props
Oliver Seeler
New

United States

I have extensive experience with carbon and composite props. Shorter flight times have never been a problem for me, to the contrary, I think an advantage for carbon is the rigidity so the blade retains its airfoil shape throughout different flight maneuvers, especially aggressive ones. That depends on the shape being correct in the first place for the application, it would be from that, I think, that shorter flight times would come.  But that rigidity can also make flight choppier, like stiff suspension on a car. A lot of factors are involved. And as stated CF is strong but fragile at the same time, and it also is more razor-like generally which can be scary. Also more prone to "hanger rash." Overall, one has to try out any prop change and see how it goes, either yourself or from reports of others. Most of the time, a quality builder will be using good props for an aircraft and second-guessing that may be interesting but not often really productive. At the moment, early on, I am not feeling any need for different blades for the Mavic.
2016-12-8
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Oliver Seeler Posted at 2016-12-8 16:08
I have extensive experience with carbon and composite props. Shorter flight times have never been a problem for me, to the contrary, I think an advantage for carbon is the rigidity so the blade retains its airfoil shape throughout different flight maneuvers, especially aggressive ones. That depends on the shape being correct in the first place for the application, it would be from that, I think, that shorter flight times would come.  But that rigidity can also make flight choppier, like stiff suspension on a car. A lot of factors are involved. And as stated CF is strong but fragile at the same time, and it also is more razor-like generally which can be scary. Also more prone to "hanger rash." Overall, one has to try out any prop change and see how it goes, either yourself or from reports of others. Most of the time, a quality builder will be using good props for an aircraft and second-guessing that may be interesting but not often really productive. At the moment, early on, I am not feeling any need for different blades for the Mavic.

Spot on description !    To add to this,  the choice of carbon props are REALLY important, and typically 1/2 - 1 inch pitch less than its plastic brother,  plastic props do have a tendancy to flatten out slightly in flight,  i have flown many many multirotors with plastic and carbon,   and carbon wins hands down on flight performance, typically quality carbon props are ever so slightly thinner in section and more effective and efficient than plastic,   getting a quality carbon prop like the T Motor/ Foxtech supreme  to mount on a mavic will be a whole new story !  there are carbon foldables (vertical folding) but i am not sure if they would be any advantage,  horizontal foldables are not widely available yet either,  after inspecting the mavic props it may pay to stick with plastic stock ones for now until someone gets the prop profile, airfoil section, pitch and mounting right
2016-12-8
Use props
QuantX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356542 ft
United States

Would anyone believe that these cf props are worth it?    https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html ... WEZP40IJZE52MF9JHIA

2017-4-17
Use props
GaryM5
New
Flight distance : 261243 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-6 17:06

So the props that come with the Mavic are already composite? If that's the case, I see no reason to change.
2017-7-9
Use props
Speedy 2
New
Flight distance : 175371 ft
Germany

Hey guys,
The original Props are composite, but this is an total difference Material as Carbon !
I tested both, the original composite and new folding Carbon Props for a long time ( half an year).

And believe me they are big difference.
Fact is : Composite props are flexible in fly conditions
Carbon are absolutely stiff !

That is the reason that Carbon Props had better reflection in extreme direction change and acceleration and stopping of the Mavic.
Better  response of the  extreme Manöver.

But the biggest improvement when you use carbon Props is the major better flying when you go with your Mavic go down very fast, the Mavic flies much smoother and very steady if you pull down your Mavic von High Sky areas to the bottom.

I had much more better videos in this condition, even when the wind blows.

So I will not missing my Carbon Props .

And believe my, if you will be hit by your Mavic it make no difference if you had composite or Carbon Props
You must had luck if you got not injured.
The composite props are very sharp and due to the rotation speed this props will act as an Samurai Blade !

Thanks
Speedy
2018-2-3
Use props
djiuser_q0SpjSeNyuPR
New

United States

I hate to be the one. I changed my props to CF, been flying about a week with them and then today BAM, one of the back props broke free in mid flight. The connection to the motor snapped and the porp flew off. Thank God it was on a return flight and I had the device in eye sight.  I thought the CF to be smooth and fast but the connection to the motor is not carbon so the weakness could have been a costly event.  I paid about $25.00 for them and thought they would never give out on me.  Now I don't know which way to go to be safe.  Enjoy flying as much as I and stay safe out there in the world.  SharkHunter.
2018-8-21
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

I thought the biggest negative to using carbon fibre props on these DJI drones is the fact they interfere with the signal? That would be the first thing to consider before the durability pros and cons.
2018-8-21
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

I have always used  good quality CF props.  Never had an issue I find them to be much better.  Good ones are not cheap though.
2018-8-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansf77370fb Posted at 2018-8-22 04:25
I have always used  good quality CF props.  Never had an issue I find them to be much better.  Good ones are not cheap though.

Hi, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Please let us know if you need our help. Thank you.
2018-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJKOR Posted at 2018-8-21 20:39
I thought the biggest negative to using carbon fibre props on these DJI drones is the fact they interfere with the signal? That would be the first thing to consider before the durability pros and cons.

Only on Mavic Air , there have been a few reports here regarding MavAir and it’s effects from using CF props on its signal.
2018-8-22
Use props
djiuser_t4GeQlDzXc4k
lvl.1
United States

Ok this is my 2nd attempt on trying to post this.  I use CF props on my dji fpv.  I do not fly in M mode i fly in s mode and it definitely increased my flight time by at least 7 minutes.  I fly the same long flights not tricks and they improved my experience for sure.
2021-12-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_t4GeQlDzXc4k Posted at 12-28 14:10
Ok this is my 2nd attempt on trying to post this.  I use CF props on my dji fpv.  I do not fly in M mode i fly in s mode and it definitely increased my flight time by at least 7 minutes.  I fly the same long flights not tricks and they improved my experience for sure.

The FPS has a Max Flight Time of approx. 20 mins (measured while flying at 40 kph in windless conditions).
That;s using N Mode for economy.
But you say that you fly in Sport Mode (which burns the battery faster) and get >35% increase in flight time over when you would get if you flew economically in N Mode?

That's not possible or believable.
2021-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules