P3 Adv- Remote Controller Won't Turn On Unless Plugged In to Charger
1487 6 2016-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phantom3ofnz
New

New Zealand

I flew my Phantom 3 Advanced successfully at 9:30am and then later on around 12:30pm I went to take the drone out for another flight and when I pressed the power on button on the remote controller and nothing happened - No lights, nothing.

I then tried to turn it on with a tap and hold and still nothing happens. No LEDs illuminate, nothing happens.

If I plug in the remote controller to the charger, all 4 white LEDs come on for two seconds then turn off. If I leave the charger plugged in, no more lights come on.

If I have the remote controller plugged in, the remote controller turns on and I can attach my phone. My phone displays 81% charge for the controller.

If i have the remote controller plugged in to the charger, the controller will turn on and work fine. As soon as I unplug the remote controller it turns itself off.

What is going on?

Firmware:

App: 3.1.1 (Android)

Version: 1.10.90

Remote Controller: 1.8.0

Update:

I found a local DJI retailer who happened to have an old controller battery that was not in use. I took apart my controller (I was out of warranty anyway) and replaced my faulty battery with the retailer's battery and the controller is back to 100% working again.

I wasn't going to wait 4-6 weeks for DJI to diagnose and fix the issue and most likely charge me for it anyway so I did it myself.

2016-12-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's very strange, I've never heard of that issue before.
It has to be something with the wiring and the battery is not connecting but will at least give the charge% when plugged into AC.
I would contact support and send it in, the RC has a 1yr warranty.
http://www.dji.com/service/policy
2016-12-16
Use props
phantom3ofnz
New

New Zealand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-17 16:51
That's very strange, I've never heard of that issue before.
It has to be something with the wiring and the battery is not connecting but will at least give the charge% when plugged into AC.
I would contact support and send it in, the RC has a 1yr warranty.

I purchased this unit second hand - does the warranty still apply?
2016-12-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

phantom3ofnz Posted at 2016-12-17 11:56
I purchased this unit second hand - does the warranty still apply?

Yes it does as long as you can provide the proof of purchase.
If you don't have it, contact them and see if they can email it to you. Surely if they bought it new they have to have some kind of proof of purchase, and if they don't they can contact who they purchased it from.
2016-12-16
Use props
phantom3ofnz
New

New Zealand

Update:

I found a local DJI retailer who happened to have an old controller battery that was not in use. I took apart my controller (I was out of warranty anyway) and replaced my faulty battery with the retailer's battery and the controller is back to 100% working again.

I wasn't going to wait 4-6 weeks for DJI to diagnose and fix the issue and most likely charge me for it anyway so I did it myself.
2016-12-18
Use props
Kevin Stewart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649426 ft
India

@phantom3ofnz
I have the same problem and I'm out of warranty, do u know where I can find a replacement battery?
Thanks
2017-1-20
Use props
Kevin Stewart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649426 ft
India

phantom3ofnz Posted at 2016-12-18 00:03
Update:

From where did u get replacement battery?
2017-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules