6379 37 2016-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stokke
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207339 ft
Norway

I really hope I'm just not able to find the correct setting but here goes:

It seems to me that if you want to use the C buttons to focus you have to be in C-AF? No, it does not work to focus with C-buttons when in MF mode even if you can tap to move to focus frame, but you can still only focus with the focus slider.

Having the focus-hunting during a shot ruins the whole shot, so this C-AF needs to be disabled.

I basically want the old focusmode back, but have gone through all settings and it seems impossible. Please help me out!

I could not search the forums from my ipad, so sorry if this has already been posted
2016-12-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Stokke, you could enable manual focusing from DJI GO app.
And then change the settings to AF.
Here is the screenshot for your reference. AF.png
2016-12-18
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-18 04:23
Hello Stokke, you could enable manual focusing from DJI GO app.
And then change the settings to AF.
Here is the screenshot for your reference.[view_image]

I did that, but in this way AF still focuses frequently.
2016-12-18
Use props
FlyLight
lvl.2

Australia

Only solution I've found is to take off, switch to AF, hit C button to achieve focus, then switch back to MF mode.

I liked the old way.... :-(
2016-12-18
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

FlyLight Posted at 2016-12-18 21:24
Only solution I've found is to take off, switch to AF, hit C button to achieve focus, then switch back to MF mode.

I so agree (liked the old way)!
2016-12-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Frits48 Posted at 2016-12-19 04:11
I did that, but in this way AF still focuses frequently.

Hello Frits48, I'd replied to your own thread.
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes you are correct, the newest app version makes it so when in MF  the C button cannot be used for centering auto focus.
I've made the suggestion that people like it how it used to be.
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

FlyLight Posted at 2016-12-18 19:24

I've notified them that users liked the old way.
2016-12-19
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-19 10:25
Yes you are correct, the newest app version makes it so when in MF  the C button cannot be used for centering auto focus.
I've made the suggestion that people like it how it used to be.

Thank you Ken, much appreciated.
Nothing against MF (although I have no use for it), but AF should not be continuous.
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Frits48 Posted at 2016-12-19 11:36
Thank you Ken, much appreciated.
Nothing against MF (although I have no use for it), but AF should not be continuous.

Auto focus should be continuous, auto focusing meaning it refocus's all the time.
2016-12-19
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

Ken, my thanks was meant that you have notified that users prefer the way autofocus used to be.

Now, Autofocus means just that: focus automatically (vs manual).
Then AF can be single (autofocuses once and hold focus) or continuous (autofocuses continuously).

Right now it is continuous with the request being to revert to the way it was: single (tap to autofocus once, then no more focusing!).
2016-12-19
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-19 19:52
Auto focus should be continuous, auto focusing meaning it refocus's all the time.

I know this is a discussion of terms, where we all can have our own personal opinion. But from my many years in photography (from even before autofocus emerged), autofocus has always meant it is automatic, not manual, focusing. Ie, you don't have to tell the focusing-distance, you tell the camera to measure it...

Yes, continuous focus is also autofocus, but it is a special variation of it. Continuous-AF is sometimes also known as focus tracking or Servo AF. Here's an explanation which follows the terms pretty much as I use them:

http://www.exposureguide.com/focusing-modes.htm

But when I talk about AF on Mavic I primarily think of tap-to-(auto)focus. That is the normal focusing way in my head, and the most common way to use autofocus in my opinion. At least when it comes to a camera like the one Mavic has.

Besides the various autofocus modes and manual focus mode found in cameras, there's also fixed focus cameras/lenses. As the name says, they have a fixed focus distance, and solely rely on depth-of-field to have most things (reasonably) sharp in the picture. Most consumer drones and action-cams (for example the old Phantom drone models and the GoPro action cameras) all have fixed focus cameras. Potentially you could also freeze the focusing at one distance on the Mavic, and have everything from medium-distance to far-away sharp. Many people seems to be used to this from previous experience with Phantom models, and might have mistaken it for a kind of autofocus because they didn't have to think about focusing (But the downside being that everything close became unsharp).

Also I have to say that continues focusing options until recently wasn't a thing that was normal in other camera types than (D)SLRs. That is because the way (D)SLRs are build you can make a much more effective autofocus tracking without "hunting" focus (using mirrors and "phase detection"). The autofocus type used on other cameras has usually been contrast-based, and this implies you have to focus past the optimal distance before you discover it was the optimal distance/contrast (-> thus a bit "focus hunting" is unavoidably). Lately some new camera types and sensors has introduced new advanced focusing technologies sometimes making it possible to make effective continuous focusing modes on other camera types. Mostly seen in so called "mirrorless" systemcameras and high-end compacts. However, that is not the kind of camera/sensor sitting in the Mavic.
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Frits48 Posted at 2016-12-19 12:25
Ken, my thanks was meant that you have notified that users prefer the way autofocus used to be.

Now, Autofocus means just that: focus automatically (vs manual).

If you enable manual focusing in the settings, then tap AF/MF to bring up the manual focus slider, it should not auto focus.
2016-12-19
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

Is the app version that does this available for Android yet?  I thought I saw someone mention 4.0.1 or whatever for Android but I don't see anything in the Playstore for either of my devices.  

While I can only speculate based on the reports of those that have used it, it sure seems like a mess.  However, I'd hate to see it go away altogether.  I, like many, would like the options to use it when the situation called for it but still keep the original options as well.  I'd like to know why they didn't just make the C.AF an add-on option instead of just replacing the existing option(s).
2016-12-19
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-19 16:18
If you enable manual focusing in the settings, then tap AF/MF to bring up the manual focus slider, it should not auto focus.

Let me try once again:
I appreciate and want AF. Just not the continuous autofocusing that is in the latest update of DJI GO 4 but the single AF like before (autofocus only when you tap the screen).
This is want is being asked by many: revert to the autofocusing the way it was originally.
Thanks,

Frits
2016-12-19
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-19 16:18

Let me try once again:
I appreciate and want AF. Just not the continuous autofocusing that is in the latest update of DJI GO 4 but the single AF like before (autofocus only when you tap the screen).
This is want is being asked by many: revert to the autofocusing the way it was originally.

Frits
2016-12-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Frits48 Posted at 2016-12-19 16:09
Let me try once again:

I got it now, that's been requested.
2016-12-19
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-19 23:22
I got it now, that's been requested.

Thank you Ken for your much appreciated attention.
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Frits48 Posted at 2016-12-20 05:00
Thank you Ken for your much appreciated attention.

No problem at all, and just because it's been requested does not mean anything will happen.
Sometimes in the next firmware or app version things are added, but also many times they are not.
2016-12-20
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

In real-camera terms, Canon - for example - use "AI SERVO" and "ONE SHOT" to distinguish between AF types. C-AF is the same as AI SERVO but perhaps without the focus point selection, while the previous AF is the same as ONE SHOT. In both cases manual focus is available (opn most lenses) and desirable. I should note for completeness that they also have an "AI FOCUS" mode on some cameras that does one shot but switches to continuous if it detects major movement in the focused subject.

No single setting will satisfy all users and their personal taste and requirements. Having all options selectable in the settings and then being able to drive that selection in the main screen is about the best compromise. I am sure that some use of custom buttons and camera wheel would be a good move
2016-12-20
Use props
fans8606e081
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48868 ft
Switzerland

I had several ruined shots today because of continuous AF. Best thing would be to have to have a "hold focus" option with tap&hold(for 2sec). Same like an iphone behaves. I set my focus before i do a shot and i really have no use for changing it (on a wideangle?!?) mid-flight. Please fix this asap because as it is now i cant use it for commercial work. Thanks.
2017-2-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

fans8606e081 Posted at 2017-2-2 07:34
I had several ruined shots today because of continuous AF. Best thing would be to have to have a "hold focus" option with tap&hold(for 2sec). Same like an iphone behaves. I set my focus before i do a shot and i really have no use for changing it (on a wideangle?!?) mid-flight. Please fix this asap because as it is now i cant use it for commercial work. Thanks.

Your best best for now is to flick it over to MF to lock it once you've got the focus where you want it.
2017-2-2
Use props
fans8606e081
lvl.3
Switzerland

When i tried the manual focus i wasn't feeling confident to get the focus right on my phonescreen unfortunately. Maybe i should try the peaking setting.
2017-2-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

fans8606e081 Posted at 2017-2-2 08:48
When i tried the manual focus i wasn't feeling confident to get the focus right on my phonescreen unfortunately. Maybe i should try the peaking setting.

No, what I mean is that you first get the focus right using tap-to-focus or C1 for center focus, and then switch to MF so it stays at at that focus point.
2017-2-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

<SOLUTION>  Android version of DJI GO 4 does not do this.
2017-2-2
Use props
SrMi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3425 ft
  • >>>
United States

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2016-12-20 08:49
In real-camera terms, Canon - for example - use "AI SERVO" and "ONE SHOT" to distinguish between AF types. C-AF is the same as AI SERVO but perhaps without the focus point selection, while the previous AF is the same as ONE SHOT. In both cases manual focus is available (opn most lenses) and desirable. I should note for completeness that they also have an "AI FOCUS" mode on some cameras that does one shot but switches to continuous if it detects major movement in the focused subject.

No single setting will satisfy all users and their personal taste and requirements. Having all options selectable in the settings and then being able to drive that selection in the main screen is about the best compromise. I am sure that some use of custom buttons and camera wheel would be a good move

I think we need to see Mavic's camera first as a video camera. AFAIK, all consumer video cameras have continuous AF and some have MF where you can focus on demand (that is what is missing).
2017-2-2
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-2 09:34
No, what I mean is that you first get the focus right using tap-to-focus or C1 for center focus, and then switch to MF so it stays at at that focus point.

That is exactly what I have been doing since the December firmware update. A bit of a nuisance but works great.
2017-2-2
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

SrMi Posted at 2017-2-2 15:44
I think we need to see Mavic's camera first as a video camera. AFAIK, all consumer video cameras have continuous AF and some have MF where you can focus on demand (that is what is missing).

Perhaps different defaults based on if the camera is in photo of video mode (in the app) regardless of which button you can press to start video or take a shot?
2017-2-3
Use props
Jon C.
lvl.2
Switzerland

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-2 07:39
Your best best for now is to flick it over to MF to lock it once you've got the focus where you want it.

This is also the way I do it now. But would be great to be able to choose between C-AF and tap to focus (as it was before).
2017-2-3
Use props
Jon C.
lvl.2
Switzerland

This is also the way I do it now. But would be great to be able to choose between C-AF and tap to focus (as it was before).
2017-2-3
Use props
tivoboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9984 ft
United States

couldn't one turn on MF, but use a C button for manual AF?
2017-2-3
Use props
fans8606e081
lvl.3
Switzerland

Ok, thanks. That's a workaround i can use. Still think they should address this in the next firmware update. Since going into the menu for each shot is a bit cumbersome.
2017-2-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

fans8606e081 Posted at 2017-2-3 11:39
Ok, thanks. That's a workaround i can use. Still think they should address this in the next firmware update. Since going into the menu for each shot is a bit cumbersome.

No need to go into the menu. The AF/MF switch will be onscreen once you have enabled MF in the options.
2017-2-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

tivoboy Posted at 2017-2-3 09:38
couldn't one turn on MF, but use a C button for manual AF?

I believe I tried that early on, and it didn't work. (Android)
2017-2-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

And @DRONE-flies-YOU's suggestion is also valid. In the Android version of Go 4, it does not attempt to C-AF. It will only auto-focus when you start video recording, but it will not try to refocus after that.
2017-2-3
Use props
fans8606e081
lvl.3
Switzerland

Seems like it's fixed with the new update :-) Only problem left for me is that image quality degrades way to much when having negative sharpness values.
2017-2-5
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

fans8606e081 Posted at 2017-2-5 05:52
Seems like it's fixed with the new update :-) Only problem left for me is that image quality degrades way to much when having negative sharpness values.

Since I use Android, can you share what the new IOS update has changed? Specifically with the focusing, but also if there's anything else worth mentioning. I hear the Art profile is back, which is good :-)
2017-2-5
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Canada

fans8606e081 Posted at 2017-2-5 05:52

It sure is! Focusing is now finally the way it should be:

- choice between AF and MF
- AF options: single AF or continuous

Tested this morning, it functions perfectly!
2017-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules