Just got Drone insurance through State Farm!
12Next >
9858 77 2016-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nole4life80
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298737 ft
United States

I saw a couple forums about drone insurance so I decided to look into it myself since I have a friend that is an agent.
She sold me a policy that will over the full $1200 I spent with NO DEDUCTIBLE. Best part is it only cost me $24/year!
She said most agents don't know about it and are quick to say no but every state except California should have this policy.
It is called a "personal articles" policy with a drone endorsement. I hope this helps.
If you live in Georgia my friend can sell you the policy. She can't do other states.... yet.

2016-12-18
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

State Farm agents can only sell policies in their own state. I've had to get a new agent everytime I've moved to a different state.
2016-12-18
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Yeah unfortunately this policy isn't available in California
2016-12-18
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-12-18 15:29
Yeah unfortunately this policy isn't available in California

Got any friends in another state? Maybe you can use their address to get the policy? Sounds like you don't need to have other insurance with them.
2016-12-18
Use props
fans7a4f4108
lvl.1

United States

So if you crash it its covered? What if its stolen? Or in the bottom of the lake?
2016-12-18
Use props
Nole4life80
lvl.2
United States

fans7a4f4108 Posted at 2016-12-19 14:42
So if you crash it its covered? What if its stolen? Or in the bottom of the lake?

Everything is covered
2016-12-19
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

How much liability does it cover you for?
2016-12-19
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

I pay $60 a year with State Farm and added in my other gear up to $4050.
2016-12-19
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.2

United States

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-20 01:22
I pay $60 a year with State Farm and added in my other gear up to $4050.

What state? State Farm wants to charge me $60 just to cover the $999 for the Mavic.
2016-12-20
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

Sgt_Throatpunch Posted at 2016-12-20 10:13
What state? State Farm wants to charge me $60 just to cover the $999 for the Mavic.

$60 is typically the minimum for the policy.  I think the coverage for just the Mavic is only like $23 but most agents stick to that $60 minimum fee.  That said, you can get a bit more under that coverage for $60.  Right now, I have the Mavic and some of the wife's jewelry and we're still under the minimum.
2016-12-20
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sgt_Throatpunch Posted at 2016-12-20 12:13

Did you ask them if you can include other gear in that? Someone mentioned that some State Farms have a minimum of $60 but that should cover closer to like $6k of equipment.
2016-12-20
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

fans7a4f4108 Posted at 2016-12-18 22:42

According to my agent, it also covers repairs and not just full loss replacements.  So let's say hypothetically that you crash and snap off the gimble.  Just send it to DJI for repair and then submit that repair cost to State Farm for reimbursement.
2016-12-20
Use props
Bobaloo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42051 ft
United States

You won't be happy when your home and possibly auto rates increase after you file a claim on your lost or crashed drone.  You will wind up paying more in the long run.
2016-12-20
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Bobaloo Posted at 2016-12-20 11:42
You won't be happy when your home and possibly auto rates increase after you file a claim on your lost or crashed drone.  You will wind up paying more in the long run.

Yep, I see comments here & other threads/forums with people acting like they've found the winning lottery ticket.  

...The intricacies of an insurance claim...  
2016-12-20
Use props
fans7a4f4108
lvl.1

United States

Bobaloo Posted at 2016-12-20 12:42

my home and auto are not with state farm...
2016-12-20
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Bobaloo Posted at 2016-12-20 13:42

I have to disagree. A good friend of mine is an agent with State Farm and he explained all of this to me in the past and rates are based on a lot of factors to include previous insurance claims and said in my case, since I have a home owners policy, 5 vehicles and a travel trailer policy....that adding a policy such as this for a specific item will not raise my rates after a claim....multiple claims likely yes or they may even drop that policy all together but in no way is this factored into my rates on my other policies.

It would be like saying you home insurance rates went up because you filed a claim on you auto insurance....
2016-12-20
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

Exactly.  My Home and Auto is not through State Farm.  The worst thing that would happen is they would drop the policy after numerous claims.  I have Care Refresh as well as this insurance policy.  For the first year, Care Refresh is there to cover any issues except loss and water damage.  That's where the insurance policy can kick in.  After a year, I still have the insurance policy as backup.  I'm not planning on flying recklessly and losing the Mavic but I'm covered if something happens.  Besides, how much would premiums go up anyway?  More than the $1K out of pocket you'd pay to replace the lost Mavic?
2016-12-20
Use props
invisible21
lvl.2

United States

Quick, tell me her name!  My wife called her agent and they told her Drones were not covered under Personal Articles because they were considered toys, but said they were covered under our homeowners policy (useless due to $1500 deductible).  We are in the Atlanta area and already have State Farm for home and my wife's auto.
2016-12-20
Use props
invisible21
lvl.2

United States

BeamMeUpScotty Posted at 2016-12-19 17:10

Liability is typically covered by your homeowners/renters insurance policy.  This would only be to cover the value of specific covered items.
2016-12-20
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

invisible21 Posted at 2016-12-20 21:28
Quick, tell me her name!  My wife called her agent and they told her Drones were not covered under Personal Articles because they were considered toys, but said they were covered under our homeowners policy (useless due to $1500 deductible).  We are in the Atlanta area and already have State Farm for home and my wife's auto.

Why does it matter if they are considered toys or not?  You can add all sorts of stuff to a PAP.  Some of which, other people might consider a toy.  Regardless, mine was put under the Miscellaneous Articles category.
2016-12-20
Use props
invisible21
lvl.2

United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-12-21 00:34
Why does it matter if they are considered toys or not?  You can add all sorts of stuff to a PAP.  Some of which, other people might consider a toy.  Regardless, mine was put under the Miscellaneous Articles category.

I don't know why it matters, I'm not an insurance agent?!  I'm just relaying what our agent told my wife when she tried to add the drone to our policy this afternoon.  My wife obviously didn't argue with her, so if there is some specific magical way to word it that all SF agents should understand then by all means let me know because we were denied by our agent.
2016-12-20
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

Maybe call it photography/filmography gear?
2016-12-20
Use props
invisible21
lvl.2

United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-12-21 01:23
Maybe call it photography/filmography gear?

interesting thought.  I already have my dslr and lenses covered.  I could call it "aerial videography gear".  At least that way there is an expectation that it will be in the sky.

Bottom line though is that it seems like we should be able to get it on our policy legitimately and I'd like to do it that way if possible.  In any case I did just plunk down on DJI Care Refresh for the first year since they added water damage today (and I was going to anyway since I thought I couldn't get insurance).  Only problem with DJI Care is that it wouldn't do anything for a total loss like falling into a lake/ocean or getting lost/stolen somewhere.
2016-12-20
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

invisible21 Posted at 2016-12-20 22:49
interesting thought.  I already have my dslr and lenses covered.  I could call it "aerial videography gear".  At least that way there is an expectation that it will be in the sky.

Bottom line though is that it seems like we should be able to get it on our policy legitimately and I'd like to do it that way if possible.  In any case I did just plunk down on DJI Care Refresh for the first year since they added water damage today (and I was going to anyway since I thought I couldn't get insurance).  Only problem with DJI Care is that it wouldn't do anything for a total loss like falling into a lake/ocean or getting lost/stolen somewhere.

Yep, that's exactly why I got the insurance as stated above.  I also just saw that DJI added water damage but still, Care Refresh is for just a year.  I plan to have and use the Mavic well beyond that year.  I'll see if I can contact my insurance rep tomorrow and see if he has any insight as to why some folks may be having difficulty adding it.  I just looked up my policy and as mentioned, it's just in the category of Miscellaneous Articles.  It doesn't list it as a DJI Mavic or drone even.  Perhaps that's where your agent is getting confused as they are looking for a specific category that the Mavic should fit in.
2016-12-20
Use props
Nole4life80
lvl.2
United States

invisible21 Posted at 2016-12-21 13:28

Kiara Thomas
2230 Cascade Rd SW
Atlanta, GA 30311-2842
(404)228-6085

kiara.thoma.da61@statefarm.com

Tell her Jay referred her to you.
2016-12-21
Use props
Nole4life80
lvl.2
United States

It will have no affect on car or home insurance since I don't have State Farm for either. When selling me the policy she only asked for my name, address, receipt and serial number.
2016-12-21
Use props
Nole4life80
lvl.2
United States

BeamMeUpScotty Posted at 2016-12-20 06:10

Basically she told me the policy costs 2% of the amount covered... ($2 per $100). She asked me how much coverage I wanted. I chose $1200 for my policy cost me $24!
2016-12-21
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
United States

invisible21 Posted at 2016-12-21 13:32
Liability is typically covered by your homeowners/renters insurance policy.  This would only be to cover the value of specific covered items.

Unfortunately not when you are using it for commercial purposes.  Quotes I have....and talking with other commercial drone operators puts it at about $900-1220 per year per drone.  

So you think that Liability on home owners and renters insurance is going to pay out to an injured party for damages done off of that property that was insured?
2016-12-21
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

Sgt_Throatpunch Posted at 2016-12-21 02:13

I live in NC.
2016-12-21
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

BeamMeUpScotty Posted at 2016-12-21 07:03
Unfortunately not when you are using it for commercial purposes.  Quotes I have....and talking with other commercial drone operators puts it at about $900-1220 per year per drone.  

So you think that Liability on home owners and renters insurance is going to pay out to an injured party for damages done off of that property that was insured?

Well, in your initial question and his response, commercial use was not mentioned.  I would guess that the majority of people are not using these as commercial tools but rather as recreational "toys".  

If you need commercial liability insurance then that is a completely different subject.  This insurance is for damage and loss to the articles on the policy.
2016-12-21
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-12-21 23:10
Well, in your initial question and his response, commercial use was not mentioned.  I would guess that the majority of people are not using these as commercial tools but rather as recreational "toys".  

If you need commercial liability insurance then that is a completely different subject.  This insurance is for damage and loss to the articles on the policy.

Ooops my error!  Can't wait to hear about the first claim!  This should be good...
2016-12-21
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

BeamMeUpScotty Posted at 2016-12-21 07:13
Ooops my error!  Can't wait to hear about the first claim!  This should be good...

First claim of what?  First claim of damage or loss?  I think you are confusing what this insurance is for.  This is like collision insurance on a car or a home warranty policy.  It's there to pay for damage or replacement of covered articles.  Liability insurance is a completely different subject.

I have used similar insurances in the past and spoken to people that have used this policy, if my Mavic is damaged or lost, they reimburse for the cost of repair or replacement.  Just like in the past where I've used it on camera equipment, jewerely or other "high dollar" items that are more vulnerable to loss or damage.  

2016-12-21
Use props
invisible21
lvl.2

United States

BeamMeUpScotty Posted at 2016-12-21 10:03

Yeah sorry you were not clear that you were asking about commercial insurance.  I really don't know about that, but I assume you would need to carry a specific policy similar to other commercial entities that have damage potential (tree trimmers, plumbers, electricians, etc).

Regarding HO insurance covering things off property, it is policy dependent but actually common.  For example, if I'm playing baseball at a park and knock a ball into someone's window (or head!) that would be covered by my homeowner's policy.  Of course just like auto insurance, coverage amount varies and if your damage exceeds the policy you could be in trouble financially.
2016-12-21
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904888 ft
United States

I called my local State Farm Agent, they said they would have to get back to me, and then said they use to cover iPhones but stopped due to so many things that could wrong with them. Not sure what asking insurance for a drone has anything to do with an iPhone...

I have yet to hear from them, 3 business days later. I am from NJ. I told them it was a drone, and I was looking for full protection under a personal article policy and it was for personal use.
Can't believe they haven't even called back at this point.
2016-12-21
Use props
hybrid0175
lvl.2
Flight distance : 205712 ft
United States

Ely324 Posted at 2016-12-21 12:24
I called my local State Farm Agent, they said they would have to get back to me, and then said they use to cover iPhones but stopped due to so many things that could wrong with them. Not sure what asking insurance for a drone has anything to do with an iPhone...

I have yet to hear from them, 3 business days later. I am from NJ. I told them it was a drone, and I was looking for full protection under a personal article policy and it was for personal use.

My agent told me about phone coverage as well. However, she did say once you have the policy you will be granfathered regardless if they stopped offering it. BTW, your agent is not doing his or her job. I know it's during holiday season but it should not take them that long to get back to you. My agent got back to me in less than a day. Good luck!
2016-12-21
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
United States

invisible21 Posted at 2016-12-22 00:59
Yeah sorry you were not clear that you were asking about commercial insurance.  I really don't know about that, but I assume you would need to carry a specific policy similar to other commercial entities that have damage potential (tree trimmers, plumbers, electricians, etc).

Regarding HO insurance covering things off property, it is policy dependent but actually common.  For example, if I'm playing baseball at a park and knock a ball into someone's window (or head!) that would be covered by my homeowner's policy.  Of course just like auto insurance, coverage amount varies and if your damage exceeds the policy you could be in trouble financially.

My bad.  Thanks for the clarification
2016-12-21
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213957 ft
United States

I sent out emails to several agents where I live. And each one of them that got with me told me something different. One guy wanted $75 annually with $100 deductible. Another agent was asking questions and I don't believe they knew what I was talking about. Then they didn't email me back. I finally ended up talking with another agent. $75 a year. With no deductible. So I went with that. Not quite as good of a deal as others. But I thought it was fair. If one agent doesn't know what your talking about. Might be best to contact another.
2016-12-21
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904888 ft
United States

hybrid0175 Posted at 2016-12-21 13:07
My agent told me about phone coverage as well. However, she did say once you have the policy you will be granfathered regardless if they stopped offering it. BTW, your agent is not doing his or her job. I know it's during holiday season but it should not take them that long to get back to you. My agent got back to me in less than a day. Good luck!

Yup, wether they want to cover the drone or not, they should be giving me a call back as it will probably potentially lose them a future customer, I'm looking at buying a house with my fiance at the moment.

I could call and complain but I'd rather just walk away in the other direction and contact another insurance firm.
2016-12-22
Use props
KayakMark34
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1808 ft
United States

Just received my Mavic last night from B&H, and just got it insured from State Farm (in Illinois) for $60 for the year!
2016-12-22
Use props
MiStro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58012 ft
United States

I too have a quote from State Farm for $50 a year in NJ (no deductible), so will definitely take advantage of that when my Mavic arrives tomorrow.  The only thing state farm won't cover is any type of mechanical failure, so I might even get DJI Care Refresh as well.  Might be a little excessive to have both, but for the minimal cost of coverage through state farm, I like that just for the loss/theft aspect alone.
2016-12-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules