Cold, Autofocus, and the Bubble
608 4 2016-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nethack
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1006063 ft
United States

After quite a bit of experimentation, I've figured out some stuff with my Mavic, I thought I'd share.

First, flying in cold (20F) weather, my battery was fine, but the camera seemed not to have a flat focal plane. Edges were blurry. Figured out, that this was just an artifact of the cold (go figure).

However, flying with the bubble in place keeps the camera warm enough to perform correctly. I end up with the near-J.J.-Abramsesque lens flare, but at least the image is sharp across the entire frame.

Hope this helps others.

2016-12-20
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Ok, that's interesting.  Took my Mavic up to 400 ft in 24F and while I didn't have an issue with focusing I did have an issue with keeping the horizon level under yaw (it leveled out as soon as I stopped pivoting).  I may try this out to see if it makes a difference (either by keeping the assembly more fluid or by reducing air pressure on the side of the assembly under yaw)
2016-12-20
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

That is something to watch out for. It may not be freezing where I take off from but as you get higher it does get much colder.
2016-12-20
Use props
nethack
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1006063 ft
United States

Actually, better would be a camera that maintains its focal plane below freezing...
2016-12-20
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

nethack Posted at 2016-12-20 22:54
Actually, better would be a camera that maintains its focal plane below freezing...

Agreed.  Would be a good enhancement for V2.  I'll take what I can get right now, though, so I may try the trick of sawing a hole in the gimbal protector and leaving it on to see if it makes a difference to the yaw issues while maintaining a good quality image.

One thing though... I used to have an Acura MDX.  Designed for the cold, and tested extensively in the cold.  That didn't stop the steering gumming up significantly in very cold weather.  Many things still work in the cold, but it must be a challenge getting mechanical components to work quite as well under those conditions.
2016-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules