Ronin-MX: Upright Mode working or not?
7734 6 2017-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RJL1985
New

Netherlands

Hi,

A few days ago, I upgraded to a complete new video production set, including a Sony A7r II in combination with proper light, audio and the DJI Ronin-MX.

The reason I chose the Ronin-MX instead of the Ronin-M, was because of my interest in the Upright Mode. This set has to be ready for ENG productions as well, meaning, that the camera should be at eye-level at all times. As you can imagine, holding the Ronin by its default operation mode forces me to raise my arms up in the air to lift the camera as well. Which is exhausting.

I immediately read about the Upright Mode that the Ronin-MX offers. An operation mode that make it possible to flip the Ronin-MX upside down, being able to film while the camera is positioned at a higher position (on top of the Ronin instead of under it). From what I read, it was also possible to flip the Ronin-M upside down, but the Ronin-MX had this little extra tweak to rotate the camera in that position 180 degrees as well. Meaning the camera would be in its default position with the base positioned on the bottom.

Now here's the thing:

I can't seem to figure out if I'm doing this right or wrong. When I install my camera on the Ronin-MX and I got it all balanced, it does go Upright Mode, but it stays hanging upside down. It doesn't rotate 180 degrees while being positioned at the top of the Ronin-MX to get the camera back in its normal position.

I was actually hoping that the DJI Ronin-MX would be able to do that. Right now I get the feeling that I have to mount the camera on the Ronin-MX upside down in advance. But that would mean that I can't change between default mode and Upright Mode. Or am I doing something wrong? I already did check the Ronin Assistant App (turning Base Convert on and off a couple of times).

The funny thing is... It seems that the Sony A7r II flips the screen by itself when its hanging upside down (I was affraid that while moving to the right, the camera would film to the left). So in theory that means I could film while the camera is hanging upside down. But I hope I'm wrong and not just spend extra cash since I thought the Ronin-MX had some advantage in that way. And of course I do not like the idea of having to physically rotate the camera on the axis everytime I wish to change between Upright Mode (camera resting on top of the Ronin-MX) and default mode (camera hanging under the Ronin-MX).

So I'm I right and did I do anything wrong or am I stuck with a Ronin-MX which doesn't rotate the camera itself while switching to Upright Mode?

Thank you!
2017-1-11
Use props
Jeff Brass
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4948 ft
New Zealand

I have the Ronin M and yep, in upright mode the camera is upside down.  Guessing it is the same as the MX. in terms over the video file, its a quick click of a button to flip the image in what ever editing software you use.

There are some gimbals which will let the camera stay the correct way up - not sure about all of them but certainly  one of the popular ones has a habit of breaking the motor cables inside due to the ability to fully rotate around. I'll take a slight inconvenience over reliability.
2017-1-11
Use props
RJL1985
New

Netherlands

Thank you for your answer.

I do know about the alternatives and the flipping in post. I did quite some research before I decided to chose the MX over the M. The rest of the new features aren't interesting for me at all (drone compatibility, stable at higher speeds etc.). So it's kind of a let down...

The more I read, the smaller my hopes get it's still possible.

Like I said. The A7r II does flip the image internally already, so basically I'm ready to go now in Upright Mode anyway, but if the base would be at the bottom (which I had hoped!), the cage would be more stable.

Now the more heavier part is hanging on the top of the cage. and the camera (even though it flips the image internally) isn't positioned in its right position. As for weight that sucks.

From what I understand, I really have to mount the camera upside down in the cage/axis to begin with. Then I have to re-balance the whole thing, which makes it impossible to work on the flow with this thing...

This is one of the many pieces of information - found online - that got me excited for this MX. I really thought the cage/axis would just flip over as well. Also because in Briefcase Mode, the camera also stays upright.

This image comes from the Ronin-M manual. It clearly shows that you can not turn the camera upside down. The Ronin-MX manual is kind of misleading in that way. Although at a closer look (after buying it) you can clearly see that the big motor knob on the left (in the MX image) stays in that same position for both images. Supporting the idea that you indeed have to mount the camera upside down physically...
2017-1-11
Use props
Jeff Brass
lvl.2
New Zealand

RJL1985 Posted at 2017-1-11 22:32
Thank you for your answer.

I do know about the alternatives and the flipping in post. I did quite some research before I decided to chose the MX over the M. The rest of the new features aren't interesting for me at all (drone compatibility, stable at higher speeds etc.). So it's kind of a let down...

as everything is balanced, the weight distribution is the same regardless of which way the camera is.
2017-1-12
Use props
Jeff Brass
lvl.2
New Zealand

and by the looks of it the cage can rotate 180 so the camera could be mounted backwards in the cage so when inverted its the right way around.
2017-1-12
Use props
fans1bcef404
lvl.1
Australia

It seems like this question hasn't been answered, I too can't get the camera to flip upside down either. Can the Ronin MX flip the camera into "upright mode" when the gimbal is upside down?
2017-8-9
Use props
djiuser_9VVmR4S
New
United States

I have run into a very similar issue, however, I can't even balance it backwards with my Canon 5D Mark IV and Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8.

Anyone got this issue solved?
2017-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules