Mavic gimble guard/sun shade
1433 6 2017-1-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I've seen the video floating around about the DIY gimble guard and sun shade.    Today I found this on the internet:

Gimble Guard

It looks extremely similar.    Since I'm not interested in crafting my own, I'm considering it.    The only thing I'm trying to figure out is what the designer says in his reply to a comment at the bottom of the page:    He says something about hitting the sides in sport mode.    I'm not sure I understand that.   

Has anyone tried this?   Can you interpret what the designer was saying about Sport Mode?
2017-1-11
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just means the gimbal cover maybe be seen in sports mode when you give it stick.
2017-1-11
Use props
GZP
lvl.2

Latvia

DJI could prepare such  and it would be probably  cheaper than. I'm also looking for such thing. So far thought about additional cover purchase and remake it by myself (from youtube video it did not look very easy)
2017-1-11
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-1-11 14:16
Just means the gimbal cover maybe be seen in sports mode when you give it stick.

That was my read as well (although 'hitting' is an awful way for the designer to phrase it).

If that's the case this is not a bad way to do it.  You wouldn't get great footage spinning around in sport mode, so this may be a good compromise for most situations.

It may sound over-the-top, but I can see myself making a few of these, including one with a much narrower aperture that's just for straight-ahead (forward and back) shots with no yaw.  Probably another one for where the camera is expected to be tilted slightly down (i.e. if you looked all the way up the camera would see the shade).  I wish someone would sell a pre-made set at some point (just like they do with ND filters).  I need to stop talking now... This is how I get into trouble.
2017-1-11
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you live in the USA, just get the official DJI dome for $10 usd (mine cost $33 AUD, ebay). Mark it out. I used a hot knife to cut.
Sanded the rough edges and painted the INSIDE black to leave a glossy looking sunshade.

And for pointers, if you are 3D printing these, you should look into adding a lip around the cut out. This will strengthen the sunshade. There has been cases of people leaving it in their pockets and snapping it down the middle.
2017-1-11
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Good find!  I went ahead and ordered one because I'm too lazy to build one on my own.  The shipping is 1/2 the price of the item, but in total it's worth it to me.
2017-1-11
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

I guess they've started flowing.  Here's another example on Amazon

AmazonGimbalCover.jpg
2017-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules