3381 51 2017-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hey, let's make this forum useful. This'll be personal perspective, but...

Where, in your personal experience, has been the most interesting geographical area in Australia to take photos or videos with your Phantom, and why?

So far for me it's been videoing a part of the wind farm by Lake George in NSW. It's massive with a couple of hundred turbines spread over a number of kilometers on the eastern side of the lake. If was amazing for me to get so close to those massive props (120m high with prop diameter of 55m), with the rarely-filled Lake George in the background and a dark storm rolling in in the distance.

I've done other videos including of Lake Jindabyne, as well as an artistic piece of the National Arboretum in Canberra, but there was something very cold and surreal with the turbines against the dark clouds. Here are two frames from the 4K videos I took on that day.

Edit: There was a large fire near Tarago NSW a couple of days ago, which was near the Wind Farm I photoed in October. I took the P4 out to take a comparison photo. You may be interested in the difference due to the destruction...

IMG_6030.JPG
IMG_6031.JPG
Wind Farm fire.jpg
2017-1-18
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Looks interesting alright. Did you shoot any RAW frames?
2017-1-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-1-19 12:47
Looks interesting alright. Did you shoot any RAW frames?

I have photo settings to DNG+JPG, but I've been disappointed with the quality and I find better results with frames taken from a 4K video stream. The added benefit is that I can select which frame has the best angle, light, etc.

As an aside, I've used Microsoft ICE to turn a few seconds of 4K video into very cool panoramas too - worth playing with.

So have you run across any areas you'd recommend?
2017-1-19
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Flight distance : 353642 ft
Australia

I would highly recommend Wentworth Falls in the Blue Mountains.  Just having that open space to fly this tiny Mavic drone around is incredible.  Really surreal feeling.  Flying with goggles there might give me a heart attack.

See my video that included a lot of fun.

2017-1-20
Use props
Leadfoot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64413 ft
Australia

Here's my first flight with the Mavic in Wollongong

https://youtu.be/OteYeHOfw3U
2017-1-23
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

Dude, fix the horizon!
2017-1-23
Use props
Leadfoot
lvl.2
Australia

Yeah, I tried to do a gymbal calibration then found the way to tweak it when I got home.

Will do better next time. Promise
2017-1-23
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Leadfoot Posted at 2017-1-23 16:57
Yeah, I tried to do a gymbal calibration then found the way to tweak it when I got home.

Will do better next time. Promise

Easiest thing to do IMHO - after a gimbal calibration is done - is to turn on gridlines, and then in Gimbal Settings select Adjust Gimbal Roll. This opens a small window which you can leave on your screen. If you note in flight that anything isn't straight against the gridlines, you can then adjust it on the fly (hey, a joke!) by either tapping 'roll right' or 'roll left'.
2017-1-23
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4957 ft
Australia

nice pics, great location!
2017-1-28
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4957 ft
Australia

nice pics, great location!
2017-1-28
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Today at Brunswick Heads.
2017-1-29
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69 ft
Australia

Great Barrier Reef: Why! Location, location.

Fairfax (6) (Large).jpg
One Tree (1) (Large).jpg
2017-2-1
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-1-19 18:20
I have photo settings to DNG+JPG, but I've been disappointed with the quality and I find better results with frames taken from a 4K video stream. The added benefit is that I can select which frame has the best angle, light, etc.

As an aside, I've used Microsoft ICE to turn a few seconds of 4K video into very cool panoramas too - worth playing with.

As a side aside, I have set mine to DNG only and use Able RAWer to do simple edits and convert to other formats, though as you say I have found taking frames from 4K video quite good for the same reasons.
2017-2-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Taken directly above my house.

Six RAW images merged into a single pano and then processed. Images out of the camera were flat and horrible.
2017-2-1
Use props
jeffdj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820102 ft
Australia

East Coast Tasmania.

Bayles Rock

Bayles Rock

The Hazards

The Hazards

Maria Island

Maria Island
2017-2-2
Use props
Mavic Az
lvl.1
Australia

Third flight of my Mavic, captured this footage this morning before I left Bathurst.

2017-2-6
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Living close to Byron Bay (but far enough away for sanity) I was planning on doing an early morning or late evening circuit around the iconic lighthouse. A flight to get some video and a few for some stills. Have seen a few of these on Youtube but wanted to find out about any regulations. Cape Byron is a National Park and so looked on their website for information about use of drones. It says you must have prior permission of the local managers. I contacted the one for that park and it is totally forbidden and has been for a considerable time. If you are seen flying there you will be fined I have been told. So that is one plan dashed. I will conatct other rangers for some different locations I have in mind.
2017-2-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-6 15:08
Living close to Byron Bay (but far enough away for sanity) I was planning on doing an early morning or late evening circuit around the iconic lighthouse. A flight to get some video and a few for some stills. Have seen a few of these on Youtube but wanted to find out about any regulations. Cape Byron is a National Park and so looked on their website for information about use of drones. It says you must have prior permission of the local managers. I contacted the one for that park and it is totally forbidden and has been for a considerable time. If you are seen flying there you will be fined I have been told. So that is one plan dashed. I will conatct other rangers for some different locations I have in mind.

Well that's a shame, but what proximity? The local managers can't object if the drone is not close enough to impact operations or cause risk to the public visiting the area.
2017-2-6
Use props
Badger51
lvl.2
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-6 22:53
Well that's a shame, but what proximity? The local managers can't object if the drone is not close enough to impact operations or cause risk to the public visiting the area.
Sorry but I don't understand your logic on this. If NPWS say contact the local managers/rangers & they say no, then end of..simples.
2017-2-7
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Can anyone get some Crocodile shots I love (hate) me some crocodile pictures, is that one I see in the Euc's "One Tree (1) (Large)" photo swimming away from us?  If you guys are ever in Wyoming look me up.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-7
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-6 22:53

To fly legally you would need to launch and land in the NPWS area, so that would prohibit operations.

If you fly in from outside their area then it would not be VLOS. There is also the hang glider launch area very close to consider.

The only way to get the shots is not legal.
2017-2-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Badger51 Posted at 2017-2-7 02:55
Sorry but I don't understand your logic on this. If NPWS say contact the local managers/rangers & they say no, then end of..simples.

You may do as you wish my friend, but I personally see a difference with the drone sitting outside the lighthouse lense vs following the coastline and then viewing the headland 200m out...
2017-2-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-7 12:37
To fly legally you would need to launch and land in the NPWS area, so that would prohibit operations.

If you fly in from outside their area then it would not be VLOS. There is also the hang glider launch area very close to consider.

OK. Sure, each location would have it's own variables to consider. Shame - it's a beautiful area there...
2017-2-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-2-1 16:27
https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/201701/25/020121mhs5k8zwt8b8utks.jpg[/img]

Taken directly above my house.

BTW, what software did you use to stitch the files and process the RAW images?
2017-2-9
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-9 19:48
BTW, what software did you use to stitch the files and process the RAW images?

Adjusted in ACR then used Photomerge in Photoshop CC.

Processed the merged file in Photoshop CC with my Workflow Actions

2017-2-10
Use props
Badger51
lvl.2
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-7 15:33
You may do as you wish my friend, but I personally see a difference with the drone sitting outside the lighthouse lense vs following the coastline and then viewing the headland 200m out...

I understand where you are coming from but I think you'll find that that the ocean there is also a marine national park. No doubt the same regs would apply.
2017-2-10
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Badger51 Posted at 2017-2-10 00:43
I understand where you are coming from but I think you'll find that that the ocean there is also a marine national park. No doubt the same regs would apply.

Yes indeed. I do a lot of work with environmental legislation (in Queensland). I have flown in National Park at their request. There are a lot of potential issues like critical habitat, sensitive species ect. In my case, I was flying over bird monitoring areas on restricted islands. While you could start outside the restricted zone, there are still a lot of potential issues that could land you in court  (like disturbing monitoring sites for nesting birds). Local rangers and senior officers act on the behest of the 'Chief Executive". Therefore you would need permission from the Chief Executive or the equivalent in your state. Your request will be considered with respect to the current policy which likely reads 'no you can't'.
2017-2-10
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-7 05:27
Can anyone get some Crocodile shots I love (hate) me some crocodile pictures, is that one I see in the Euc's "One Tree (1) (Large)" photo swimming away from us?  If you guys are ever in Wyoming look me up.
Regards,
-d.

Possibly could. We get a lot up the Fitzroy River here. They also live in an estuary close to where I surf. A mate of mine and his son had a 4m croc pop up between them in the surf, take a look at them then disappear. It then it turned up on the beach near a couple fishing. Parks & Wildlife monitor crocs here and I have been thinking of offering an experimental run to see if they can be spotted via a drone. Though see my post near the end of this thread.
2017-2-10
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-7 05:27
Regards,
-d.

Possibly could. Have a few living around here. One popped up between a mate and his son while they were surfing our local beach. Swam away and came up on the beach further down. Unlike sharks which at least taste test first, crocs are pretty basic when it comes to food choices,..if it moves (or stays still) eat it.
I'll let you know. Been thinking of doing some experimental flights looking for crocs.
2017-2-10
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

Sorry don't know what happened there. Kept losing posts. Oh well two versions.

PS not a croc. 40 miles out to sea though they do get out there on occasion. there are a lot of scattered coral heads in the photo. And a bird mid photo just below the horizon.
2017-2-10
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
United States

Euc Posted at 2017-2-10 05:32
Sorry don't know what happened there. Kept losing posts. Oh well two versions.

PS not a croc. 40 miles out to sea though they do get out there on occasion. there are a lot of scattered coral heads in the photo. And a bird mid photo just below the horizon.

You ROCK! my friend, do not take any chances with your Mavic.  Whenever I see helicopter footage the salties scatter into deep water quick; with the Mavic being somewhat quieter they may just lay there sunning themselves.  Thank you for your response and good flying to you.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-10
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
United States

Euc Posted at 2017-2-10 05:23
Possibly could. Have a few living around here. One popped up between a mate and his son while they were surfing our local beach. Swam away and came up on the beach further down. Unlike sharks which at least taste test first, crocs are pretty basic when it comes to food choices,..if it moves (or stays still) eat it.
I'll let you know. Been thinking of doing some experimental flights looking for crocs.

I was surfing in Costa Rica and had a small American croc start nipping on my board, from now on I always check the line up for scoots and pikes.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-10
Use props
Euc
lvl.2
Australia

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-10 06:52
You ROCK! my friend, do not take any chances with your Mavic.  Whenever I see helicopter footage the salties scatter into deep water quick; with the Mavic being somewhat quieter they may just lay there sunning themselves.  Thank you for your response and good flying to you.
Regards,
-d.

I'd be more worried about getting snapped out of the sky. Croc's have attitude. Did a kayak tour with Govt croc guys who said if one pops up, they are asking us to leave...immediately. Some larger ones up north worked out how to knock people out of small boats. Home delivery! So to stay in the vein of this thread. There are some stunning places here (Corio, Shoalwater and Stanage Bays, Queensland) but not without a certain level of risk.
2017-2-12
Use props
Leadfoot
lvl.2
Australia

Wollongong harbor sunset.
2017-2-12
Use props
alice24
lvl.2

Philippines

These are all great! Will include Australia to places id like to visit! Will upload some videos soon!
2017-2-12
Use props
Marjanko
lvl.2
Flight distance : 647372 ft
Austria

amazing fotos
2017-2-12
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
United States

Euc Posted at 2017-2-12 18:15
I'd be more worried about getting snapped out of the sky. Croc's have attitude. Did a kayak tour with Govt croc guys who said if one pops up, they are asking us to leave...immediately. Some larger ones up north worked out how to knock people out of small boats. Home delivery! So to stay in the vein of this thread. There are some stunning places here (Corio, Shoalwater and Stanage Bays, Queensland) but not without a certain level of risk.

That is what I am talking about brother!  I have even seen pictures of 2M salties sunbathing on a large tree branch six or eight feet above the bank; crazy.
regards,
-d.
2017-2-13
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Did a video shoot a couple of weekends ago of a winery/vineyard in NE Victoria. Here's a panorama I took from one of the 4K 30fps videos (shrunk to upload):
DJI_0010_stitch.jpg
2017-2-13
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Like the lines in this image.
2017-2-13
Use props
Euc
lvl.2