3585 50 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Arrow1969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Problem with the new DJI X4S right hand side of video footage is soft also the horizon is out by about 20%.

2017-1-23
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Inspire 2 cameras being out of focus on the sides is starting to become a trend... My X5s is in for repair for the same thing. I did not get to check my X4s yet, afraid to. But will this up coming weekend. Ill update if mine is as well. Hope not.
Hope they can give you a quick turn around.
2017-1-23
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gybo102 Posted at 2017-1-23 06:39
Inspire 2 cameras being out of focus on the sides is starting to become a trend... My X5s is in for repair for the same thing. I did not get to check my X4s yet, afraid to. But will this up coming weekend. Ill update if mine is as well. Hope not.
Hope they can give you a quick turn around.

Thank's for that, will be interesting to see what results you get.

Tony
2017-1-23
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

I don't have this problem and have used the X4S for most of my recent filming.

But i did notice when it first arrived that the internal lens when shipped had a smear on the lens surface so I removed the screw on lens cover and did a full clean out. I also noticed there is no seal on the lens cover so a small amount of moisture leaks in when you fly in rapidly changing temperature like I have here.  With the X5S once the lens protector is fitted I don't get these issues as the lens has no electronics that will generate any heat, but the X4S electronics is right behind the lens.  

To overcome the X4S issue i simply temperature acclimatise the lens before i take off. So once I2  is powered up with the lens fitted I run through my pre flight stuff and wait for the Google maps to download.   
2017-1-23
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you have any ideas DJI-Jamie{:4_181:}
2017-1-23
Use props
steelej80.googl
lvl.2
United Kingdom

If you focus on something on the right hand side that's soft does I throw the left hand side out of focus like my original X4S was doing?

John.
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

For the softness, is this only affecting the video, or is it the stills as well. In this thread, it didn't seem like an issue in this photo, I'm wondering when you noticed the change?

http://forum.dji.com/thread-82026-1-1.html

Have you had a chance to look for a possible smudge on the lens, like Dr Jon mentioned? For the horizon tilt, have you already looked into a gimbal calibration or a IMU/gimbal calibration combo? Is it possible that you may have started the unit on a slightly uneven surface?
2017-1-24
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

DJI-Jamie,
X4S softness on side of the frame is most likely mechanical issue and it applies to still images as well. I have made some research with own X4S and have found following:
- problem is focus
- focus seems to flip some moving lens (or something inside of the camera) from side to side and resulting softness either on left or right side.
- it looks like something which should move doesn't do it properly and causes image to be out of focus either left or right.
- f2.8 has visually strong and clear "effect" when manually focused from close to far
- f11 has less clear effect but still has. Manual focus from close to far doesn't seem to do anything but softness on either side of the image
- it was cold when I flew test flights. In range of -5 to -10 Celsius degrees
- on my test video you see very clearly when camera is focusing from close to far. It is a moment (4seconds) when something moves rapidly and out of focus changes from left to right. Video is played at half speed.

Here this issue is demonstrated on video:

I post demo photos later. Photos I sent to DJI customer service yesterday but this unlisted video I made just today and it is not sent to customer service.
2017-1-25
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

Here are resized sample photos to meet 1000kB limit. Note left and right sides of the photo. Camera settings should be same and only difference is focus to close and infinity.
f2.8 right blur DJI_0039 resized.jpg
f2.8 left blur DJI_0040 resized.jpg
2017-1-25
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

And here are original photos: Dropbox link
2017-1-25
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-24 22:13
For the softness, is this only affecting the video, or is it the stills as well. In this thread, it didn't seem like an issue in this photo, I'm wondering when you noticed the change?

The problem it appears only to affect video in my case, was out working with my Inspire 2 yesterday haven't had time to study the footage yet will report back.

Tony
2017-1-25
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

I noticed that this issue my X4S has is worse in low light. Perhaps because larger aperture is in use. Sunny day photos and videos are better.
2017-1-25
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-1-25 20:49
DJI-Jamie,
X4S softness on side of the frame is most likely mechanical issue and it applies to still images as well. I have made some research with own X4S and have found following:
- problem is focus

Hi Kopteristi,

I have come to exactly the same conclusion regarding the F stop setting
2017-1-26
Use props
Chris A
lvl.1
Flight distance : 95089 ft
Australia

I have the same issue on the left hand side of my X4S. Hopefully DJI will respond soon with an answer of what to do...
2017-1-26
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

Yesterday I tried video with fixed aperture 6.3. It looks like that middle area is better. Both sides are a little blurry but not as much as 2.8. It is possible that this time something else was different as well and problem is more like random. Earlier video I uploaded on Youtube represented so rapid switch on optics (blur from left to right) that there might be something loose, or something changes its state rapidly anyway causing blur areas.
Hopefully DJI finds out how to fix this. In case there is something I could do for help for DJI, please contact freely. It's dark time in Finland and very good environment to test low light all day.

New video is uploaded to same Dropbox folder I linked up there.
2017-1-26
Use props
Chris A
lvl.1
Australia

Any news of a fix?
2017-1-30
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

I haven't heard anything. DJI support has not replied either.
2017-1-30
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-1-30 04:48
I haven't heard anything. DJI support has not replied either.

Maybe it's something to do with Chinese New Year
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-1-25 22:07
Here are resized sample photos to meet 1000kB limit. Note left and right sides of the photo. Camera settings should be same and only difference is focus to close and infinity.

I apologize for the late response. From what you can tell, there are no visible marks or distortions in the lens that is apparent, correct? This seems like it could be a possible sensor issue otherwise. You said that you have contacted the Europe Support Center without a reply? Could you happen to provide the ticket number from that correspondence?
2017-1-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-1-30 12:44
Maybe it's something to do with Chinese New Year

The Chinese New Year has put a bit of a damper on some Support channels, but everything will be back in full swing by the end of the week.
2017-1-30
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-30 20:55
I apologize for the late response. From what you can tell, there are no visible marks or distortions in the lens that is apparent, correct? This seems like it could be a possible sensor issue otherwise. You said that you have contacted the Europe Support Center without a reply? Could you happen to provide the ticket number from that correspondence?

DJI-Jamie,
Thank you for response! I looked back emails and in fact didn't find support automated reply. I made now new support request and am waiting it.
Lens I guess is ok and problem is perhaps somewhere else. What wonders me is that why blur flips so rapidly from left to right on focus. Anyway, support guys has now all material which is saved on that linked Dropbox folder and for sure finds solution.
2017-1-30
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

Second mail went through and DJI Support replied. Confirmation of successful delivery of request came few hours from posting and then we had two rounds of email exchanges in same day. In the well done.
Now RMA is filled and I wait for instructions.
2017-1-31
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

UPS picked up the parcel and next step is waiting what result of inspection will be. Pretty smooth service once contact was established.
2017-2-2
Use props
Chris A
lvl.1
Australia

I sent mine back to the distributer last week so hopefully will get some answers or a replacement soon.
2017-2-5
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chris A Posted at 2017-2-5 01:16
I sent mine back to the distributer last week so hopefully will get some answers or a replacement soon.

Mine also went back last week again waiting to hear the distributor says.
2017-2-5
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-1-23 17:36
I don't have this problem and have used the X4S for most of my recent filming.

But i did notice when it first arrived that the internal lens when shipped had a smear on the lens surface so I removed the screw on lens cover and did a full clean out. I also noticed there is no seal on the lens cover so a small amount of moisture leaks in when you fly in rapidly changing temperature like I have here.  With the X5S once the lens protector is fitted I don't get these issues as the lens has no electronics that will generate any heat, but the X4S electronics is right behind the lens.  

Have sent mine X4S back just waiting for a new replacement should be arriving shortly.
2017-2-17
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-24 22:13

Problem has been sorted out have sent back faulty X4S brand-new replacement on its way.
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-17 19:33
Problem has been sorted out have sent back faulty X4S brand-new replacement on its way.

Glad to hear!
2017-2-17
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

My X4S is repaired and should arrive on Monday.
2017-2-18
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-2-18 05:46
My X4S is repaired and should arrive on Monday.

Report back on how you get on I'll do the same.

Tony
2017-2-18
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

Yes I do. It is snowing today so test flight might delay.
2017-2-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-18 11:14
Report back on how you get on I'll do the same.

Tony

Tony
It seems weird to me that we are seeing more camera issues (focus) being reported since the new I2 and Mavic rolled out.  I do not remember that many camera problems with the I1, Although DJI replaced my X3 camera gimbal assembly after it devolved a problem.

Rich
2017-2-20
Use props
Chris A
lvl.1
Australia

Mine has gone in for repair with DOA being accepted. Looks like I'll be waiting a long time for it to come back to me... lesson here - buy the additional insurance through DJI for a fast turn around!
2017-2-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-2-19 22:32
Yes I do. It is snowing today so test flight might delay.

Good to hear you got it back. Let us know how it went whenever you can.
2017-2-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Chris A Posted at 2017-2-21 19:26
Mine has gone in for repair with DOA being accepted. Looks like I'll be waiting a long time for it to come back to me... lesson here - buy the additional insurance through DJI for a fast turn around!

You should be up and running again in no time.
2017-2-21
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-21 21:54
Good to hear you got it back. Let us know how it went whenever you can.

Today I flew once but video records only few seconds and then it ends. Card is Sony 16GB SR-16D Micro SD HC 10 Made in Taiwan.
Is this original or did I perhaps mix card with some slow model?
2017-2-22
Use props
Chris A
lvl.1
Australia

I hope so... I've lost most of Feb so far and I hear as of yesterday they are waiting for one more approval before sending out what im assuming is a new camera
2017-2-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-2-22 22:41
Today I flew once but video records only few seconds and then it ends. Card is Sony 16GB SR-16D Micro SD HC 10 Made in Taiwan.
Is this original or did I perhaps mix card with some slow model?

The stock SD  card  model is Lexar 16 GB.
2017-2-22
Use props
Kopteristi
lvl.3
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-22 23:58
The stock SD  card  model is Lexar 16 GB.

Ok then it is mixed. I tried yesterday afternoon again using same card and video recorded fine at 4k. Perhaps slightly wet Ipad screen made video to stop in the morning shots. Snow melts to fingers and every point touched is wet. Also all random snow flakes melts to heated Ipad.

Repaired X4S seemed to work ok at daylight. I didn't see same focus problems but dark shooting will reveal the truth. I've feeling camera works now.
2017-2-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Kopteristi Posted at 2017-2-23 22:08
Ok then it is mixed. I tried yesterday afternoon again using same card and video recorded fine at 4k. Perhaps slightly wet Ipad screen made video to stop in the morning shots. Snow melts to fingers and every point touched is wet. Also all random snow flakes melts to heated Ipad.

Repaired X4S seemed to work ok at daylight. I didn't see same focus problems but dark shooting will reveal the truth. I've feeling camera works now.

Good to hear that it seems all sorted so far.
2017-2-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules