DJI GO v4 instant crash on start after initial success (Pixel XL)
2390 11 2017-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Archon810
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67664 ft
United States

Hi,

I've tried DJI Go v4 several times with the Mavic, and each time I install it, it works fine the first run, but upon subsequent runs, I get an instant crash on start. The crash is always the same. I'm using a Pixel XL on Android 7.1.1. Here's the log from the appropriate CRASH folder:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Canvas: trying to draw too large(180633600bytes) bitmap.
        at android.view.DisplayListCanvas.throwIfCannotDraw(DisplayListCanvas.java:260)
        at android.graphics.Canvas.drawBitmap(Canvas.java:1415)
        at android.graphics.drawable.BitmapDrawable.draw(BitmapDrawable.java:528)
        at android.graphics.drawable.LayerDrawable.draw(LayerDrawable.java:1012)
        at android.view.View.getDrawableRenderNode(View.java:17428)
        at android.view.View.drawBackground(View.java:17364)
        at android.view.View.draw(View.java:17176)
        at com.android.internal.policy.DecorView.draw(DecorView.java:753)
        at android.view.View.updateDisplayListIfDirty(View.java:16167)
        at android.view.ThreadedRenderer.updateViewTreeDisplayList(ThreadedRenderer.java:648)
        at android.view.ThreadedRenderer.updateRootDisplayList(ThreadedRenderer.java:654)
        at android.view.ThreadedRenderer.draw(ThreadedRenderer.java:762)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl.draw(ViewRootImpl.java:2800)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl.performDraw(ViewRootImpl.java:2608)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl.performTraversals(ViewRootImpl.java:2215)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl.doTraversal(ViewRootImpl.java:1254)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$TraversalRunnable.run(ViewRootImpl.java:6337)
        at android.view.Choreographer$CallbackRecord.run(Choreographer.java:874)
        at android.view.Choreographer.doCallbacks(Choreographer.java:686)
        at android.view.Choreographer.doFrame(Choreographer.java:621)
        at android.view.Choreographer$FrameDisplayEventReceiver.run(Choreographer.java:860)
        at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:751)
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:154)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6119)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:886)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:776)

According to reviews of v4, many people are getting crashes, so I'm curious how it's possible that DJI hasn't concentrated on quickly fixing the crashes that make using the app impossible.
2017-1-31
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

I think android 7 has an option to reduce the screen resolution. On how that stacktrace looks, I feel that the resolution of your device is too high for the DJI Go 4 app to handle. Check this: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6111557?hl=en Try to modify the display size , if you make things bigger, the resoultion would be smaller and I've got the impression that it will solve your issue to start the application. I hope DJI fixes this quickly!
2017-1-31
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Because they are crap at coding!

In the meantime, turn off auto screen rotate.
2017-1-31
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67664 ft
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2017-1-31 02:33
Because they are crap at coding!

In the meantime, turn off auto screen rotate.

@Tharg - on the money, switching auto-rotate off fixes the crash.

DJI, come on, fix this.
2017-1-31
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Archon810 Posted at 2017-1-31 10:08
@Tharg - on the money, switching auto-rotate off fixes the crash.

DJI, come on, fix this.

Go with IOS = no more craches..
2017-1-31
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2017-1-31 10:55
Go with IOS = no more craches..

Funny that, I keep reading about iphone DJI go app crashes!
2017-1-31
Use props
fansd1cc2c91
lvl.2
United States

I am also facing the same issue with Pixel XL. I have to open the app in portrait mode every time. Hope they fix it soon.
2017-1-31
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Oneplus 3 on Android 7, crashes most of the time, reopen and it's fine until I'm finished but other times crashes again and again, usually always happen as the Mavic is just out of sight (sods law). I have now had to limit my flight distance to 150m as I don't feel confident using such a buggy app (both 3 and 4).   Next time I fly I'll try turning auto rotate off and see what happens.
2017-1-31
Use props
CyberNate
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14581234 ft
United States

Change the display dpi to a lower value should help with that stack dump.   Go to the developer options and change the "smallest width" value to a lower DPI.  Try lowering it below 400 dpi  (for example) to reduce canvas size.   Then adjust it upward until you find a point just before the crash that gives a nice display dpi.  
2017-1-31
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gusmtb Posted at 2017-1-31 12:27
Funny that, I keep reading about iphone DJI go app crashes!

Funny that I have used P3A,P4,P4P, P4P+, MP with IPHONE and NEVER had an issue.
2017-1-31
Use props
fansb2edd25e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 736775 ft
United States

IOS isn't always the solution:
Has anyone run into issues using the draw portion of the Go 4 app?  I purchased the Apple because Android wasn't supported or offered for the GS Pro app.  I've the Go 4 app crash several times while I was flying and using the "draw" function.  The support folks only suggested re-installing the app or trying on another device.  I shouldn't have to try another device especially when the Apple was the only option for the Ground Station app.  I found it pretty absurd to even suggest trying it on another device after spending $400  for the Apple.  Has anyone encountered this issue, and if so, have you found any solutions?  I got reporting instruction from DJI, but I was hoping this problem was already addressed  Thanks in advance, Craig
2017-2-1
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

CyberNate Posted at 2017-1-31 14:31
Change the display dpi to a lower value should help with that stack dump.   Go to the developer options and change the "smallest width" value to a lower DPI.  Try lowering it below 400 dpi  (for example) to reduce canvas size.   Then adjust it upward until you find a point just before the crash that gives a nice display dpi.

Or........ you can just turn off auto screen rotate !
2017-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules