MAVIC Pro gimbal exceeds limits during startup
3780 15 2017-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
speedy777
New

United States

I received my Mavic just over a week ago and have been bothered by this problem. When the Mavic powers up, the gimbal goes through a startup process, where it flips backwards and then forward, before finally moving to the neutral forward position. The problem I have is that when it flips forwards, it does it with enough force so as to make a knocking sound, and the app indicates a warning of "Gimbal limits exceeded". After that, it settles down, the warning disappears,  and it appears to function normally. I'm concerned that the hard flipping/knocking motion will eventually damage the gimbal. I've called in to support, and they made me do an IMU and Gimbal calibration, as well as a full firmware refresh, but it still does the same thing. Here's a video of what happens when it powers up:

Is anyone seeing the same problem and should I be concerned? The Mavic and gimbal appears to be operating normally other that this startup issue.

The one other issue I have is that in dull light conditions, the lens is blurier in the lower right corner. It sharpens up a bit in bright light, presumably due to the smaller aperture. I see this appears to be fairly common in other Mavic videos I see on youtube.

Part of the reason I am posting is also to register my warranty period. I bought my Mavic from DJI via Newegg, and there appears to be no way to register my Mavic on the DJI site. How do they know when my warranty starts? The support site did not ask for my serial number or anything, so there is no record of me reporting a potential warranty problem. I want to make sure that there is a record of me reporting this issue while in my initial warranty period in case it gets worse and fails completely.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with my Mavic. Having built and flown drones for a few years, it's a really nicely engineered machine..

2017-1-31
Use props
fans55aee8a9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 449098 ft
United States

After 2 months of no issues, my MAVIC just started doing the exact same thing as what you posted in your video.  The gimbal knocks during startup and about 3 mins later it finally starts working.
2017-1-31
Use props
Defender4he1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466 ft
Australia

fans55aee8a9 Posted at 2017-1-31 20:05
After 2 months of no issues, my MAVIC just started doing the exact same thing as what you posted in your video.  The gimbal knocks during startup and about 3 mins later it finally starts working.

My gimbal also knocks twice on start up sets straight away but get an ocasional gimbal warning
2017-2-1
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

Ive had a small knock at one extreme from day one.  No warnings though.    I think its nothing to worry about if you get no warning.... but with the warning im not sure.

Another case to be referred to superhero DJI KEN??        This forum mods are way more help than customer support it seems
2017-2-1
Use props
speedy777
New

United States

gibbd Posted at 2017-2-1 01:09
Ive had a small knock at one extreme from day one.  No warnings though.    I think its nothing to worry about if you get no warning.... but with the warning im not sure.

Another case to be referred to superhero DJI KEN??        This forum mods are way more help than customer support it seems

Most people start the app AFTER the Mavic and controller have powered up, so won't get the gimbal limit exceeded warning, as it goes away. I did not notice it until I was doing some tests on powering up the Mavic and left the app running.

Now I am conflicted about returning my Mavic for the blurry lens as I may have to wait a long time and then maybe even get a worse unit!
2017-2-1
Use props
gibbd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18980 ft
United Kingdom

speedy777 Posted at 2017-2-1 07:18
Most people start the app AFTER the Mavic and controller have powered up, so won't get the gimbal limit exceeded warning, as it goes away. I did not notice it until I was doing some tests on powering up the Mavic and left the app running.

Now I am conflicted about returning my Mavic for the blurry lens as I may have to wait a long time and then maybe even get a worse unit!

Interesting point you make actually that most people wouldn't know if the warning was coming up because of the order things have been started in.  I have started the app first before and seen the video feed when it is initialising but no warning.   Ill have to try again perhaps and 'test' it
2017-2-1
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5213 ft
United States

fans55aee8a9 Posted at 2017-1-31 20:05

Sounds like a software problem
2017-2-1
Use props
fans55aee8a9
lvl.1
United States

I have tried everything and the gimbal knocks on the first 5 or so attempts after starting the mavic, with or without the app or controller turned on.  This is really frustrating when trying to get the mavic up in the air to shoot pics in a pinch.  It basically disables the camera for the first 5 or so mins.  Can someone help?
2017-2-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I've done quite a bit of design in eagle cad and fab boards to fit in very small places with high power. I use oshpark for fab, and get back 4 layer boards that work. The board design itself is a process where you have to route sensitive parts away from heat, this can take time to get right, a lot of trial with real use. The mavic hasn't had this time.

Gate drivers to mofets have to function correctly, and you eliminate noise usually by going overboard with capacitors (they lose the ability to hold a charge with heat). Low esr capacitors are nice on output to smooth any ripple. This has been my problem. China makes sketchy parts. I flow it all together on my solder station but I always buy inductors from Isreal now (some reason they have the smallest inductors on the planet right now- go Isreal!). I buy capacitors from anywhere but China. Mosfets anywhere but China. The only thing I trust is their smd resistors and sense resistors. They can make reels of resistors for so cheap and they are always within tolerance.

If the mavic is made with mosfets and caps from China. I know what the qc problem is. I've dealt with it on a year long project where I came to these conclusions from failed boards. The microcontrollers are fine, it's the caps and mosfets from China that fail. I'm sure dji has pride in the design and wants to use Chinese parts, but take it from someone who's been through the headache of dealing parts going south for no reason, it's not worth it.
2017-2-3
Use props
fans55aee8a9
lvl.1
United States

I can't even get the gimbal to settle down now.  Knocks on startup and restart all the time, rendering the camera useless.  It's just going way to fast during start check and it slams into the limit stops.
2017-2-3
Use props
fans55aee8a9
lvl.1
United States

Gimbal is completely useless now, will not clear startup.  Had to send into DJI.
2017-2-16
Use props
Mitchy350
lvl.1
Flight distance : 402254 ft
Australia

Hey Speedy777 did you end up resolving this issue? Mine also did the same thing out of the box, hits frame on startup and comes up with gimbal overload msg  
I have sent mine back but they said "it's a normal phenomenon" and the gimbal overload msg will be fixed with firmware update. It feels like they are doing a firmware update to stop the msg coming up rather then fixing the problem
2017-3-23
Use props
fansbbd63801
New
Flight distance : 11841 ft
United States

Mine does the same thing so it's normal
2017-8-8
Use props
fansbbd63801
New
Flight distance : 11841 ft
United States

I just got a refresh unit and I turned it on and it did that same thing I was like wtf but watching videos and reading on line everyone saying it's normal
2017-8-8
Use props
fans14d99015
New
United States

My mavic does same thing. Only worse. The camera is in overload mode constant and of no use. I have had to send mine to dji once already and got it back a couple weeks ago and now it is doing it again...Any home remedies for this.
2017-8-8
Use props
fansd6803fb7
New
Flight distance : 22320 ft
United States

I had the same problem. The culprit was the after-market ND lens cover. No problems once I stopped using it. I also read that re-seating the sd card may work.
2017-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules