Horizon Tilt
2399 36 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffdj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820102 ft
Australia

Have flown a few missions with the Phantom 4 Pro + and noticed, as have others, that when you yaw the aircraft the horizon initially loses its horizontal attitude resulting in tilted horizons. I also noticed that if you ignore this when it happens and wait a few seconds the horizon usually self corrects. I am wondering if altering the settings to dampen down the initially coarse movements also effects the speed at which the aircraft automatically adjusts its horizontal alignment?
If I get time I will conduct tests by switching back to factory presets.
I wonder if someone who still has factory presets still notices the horizontal mislalignment when yawing?

2017-2-1
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sorry... No tilt with my unit. Did you recently calibrate the unit? Was it done on perfectly leveled surface with the AC cold (1/2 hour out in the cold weather)?
2017-2-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-1 17:06
Sorry... No tilt with my unit. Did you recently calibrate the unit? Was it done on perfectly leveled surface with the AC cold (1/2 hour out in the cold weather)?

It happens. I can confirm. Same with both my P4 and P4P. There's new firmware coming out soon for both craft with optimised gimbal code in common. I look forward to see if this issue is resolved.
2017-2-1
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Does this happen on any other drones?
2017-2-1
Use props
fans34c91fb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-2-1 18:53
Does this happen on any other drones?

Seems to be much more common on the Phantoms.  It has been an issue for a very long time.; too long!
2017-2-1
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-1 18:46
It happens. I can confirm. Same with both my P4 and P4P. There's new firmware coming out soon for both craft with optimised gimbal code in common. I look forward to see if this issue is resolved.

Punch,

Never happened to me for the past few years on any of my AC starting with P3A, P4, P4P, P4P+ and MP...

I am just saying it did not happened to me...
2017-2-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-1 21:58
Punch,

Never happened to me for the past few years on any of my AC starting with P3A, P4, P4P, P4P+ and MP...

OK, thanks, and I appreciate you adding to the post Dronist. I wasn't implying it's affecting everybody, just that it's affecting both of my Ps too. But then I won't claim that I have recurring 'limp gimbal', nor issues with fly away, nor decending altitude issues, nor consistent 'High wind' errors. Many of these issues people are experiencing, including myself in this case (but not those), may be occurring due to scenarios and conditions specific to them at the time. I add to posts like this to confirm it's not a one-off due to a solar flare or shift in the Earth's magnetic pole. If enough do report it, DJI may investigate and be able to work out how to recreate it. But I know you know what I'm saying...

The op said the tilted horizon occurs following yawing, but isn't righting itself fast enough. This implies the gimbal may perhaps need optimisation or... Hey, it's all information.
2017-2-1
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-1 22:48
OK, thanks, and I appreciate you adding to the post Dronist. I wasn't implying it's affecting everybody, just that it's affecting both of my Ps too. But then I won't claim that I have recurring 'limp gimbal', nor issues with fly away, nor decending altitude issues, nor consistent 'High wind' errors. Many of these issues people are experiencing, including myself in this case (but not those), may be occurring due to scenarios and conditions specific to them at the time. I add to posts like this to confirm it's not a one-off due to a solar flare or shift in the Earth's magnetic pole. If enough do report it, DJI may investigate and be able to work out how to recreate it. But I know you know what I'm saying...

The op said the tilted horizon occurs following yawing, but isn't righting itself fast enough. This implies the gimbal may perhaps need optimisation or... Hey, it's all information.

Punch,

I am with you...

More info the better and believe me if I have any issues I will be the first one to cite it too.

Am just adding my notes so future Dronist don't think or only see in this forum the bad and the ugly but also see there are people with beautiful, perfectly flying machines.

2017-2-2
Use props
fans34c91fb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-2 08:45
Punch,

I am with you...

It is nice that some get a good one, but it would be much better if 99% did!  The Mavic poll shows more have problems than have a perfect one.  QC at DJI still has a ways to go.
2017-2-2
Use props
mpaka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19252874 ft
Serbia

This is how mine works:

2017-2-3
Use props
L N
lvl.1

Estonia

First P4P have recording problem in 4K 60fps. And 3 others, what I already changed, have the same problem + 2 of them have gimbal vibration issue to. DJI how many I must to change to get good one?
2017-2-3
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

i'm afraid there isnt a fix for this and hasnt been for years. The science and research in gimbal technology hasnt advanced far enough for a reliable solution to straight horizons every time. Some have no issue but most have a tilt. Take that for what you will but i've yet to see perfect horizons every single time.
2017-2-3
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

Three are two different tilt issues. First is happening with yaw movements, as you mentioned. Second happens in poor lighting.  If ifly in light fog or heavy overcast 8/8,  then as long as it stays over water is fine, but if I turn over land it looses horizontal. Someone said gimbal has no business with camera lighting and makes sense to me, but still it happens
2017-2-3
Use props
Mike_97
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210715 ft
United States

I regularly have to rotate my video in post-production. It varies +/- 2 degrees.  As the chopper yaws thru a turn, I have to vary the rotation of the footage for the duration of the turn.  And yes, I have to scale up 105-110% to avoid black borders in the corners.
2017-2-3
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

I have my gimbal mostly tilted at takeoff, so I have to calibrate it every time
2017-2-6
Use props
24ctDrone
lvl.2

United States

Yes!  I have this issue as well.  So every-time I recalibrate my gimbal, no luck.   I still am having the issue same as you.
2017-2-6
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
Flight distance : 274465 ft
United States

Same issue here. Does this effect prior models or is it new to the p4pro?
2017-2-11
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

sd603 Posted at 2017-2-11 07:41
Same issue here. Does this effect prior models or is it new to the p4pro?

No, it's not new to the P4P - the P4 suffers from it on numerous units too. I read somewhere that the P3 series doesn't have this problem, but I can't confirm as I don't own one.
2017-2-11
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

I've been getting random horizon tilt in flight on my P3A.
2017-2-11
Use props
Jasonstarbird
lvl.2
Flight distance : 116998 ft
United States

I have just purchased a 4 pro, and I'm noticing the tilted horizon as well. my P3 Std doesn't seem to suffer from it.
2017-2-11
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-11 18:38
Sometimes mine is level, sometimes not.  I keep an eye on it and adjusting it in flight is now second nature.

If you have the + model and want to put gimbal roll box on screen it sits dead in the middle of the screen.  So it's not practical to have it open...
2017-2-12
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

sd603 Posted at 2017-2-12 11:10
If you have the + model and want to put gimbal roll box on screen it sits dead in the middle of the screen.  So it's not practical to have it open...

Well that's painful. It's not intrusive when enabled in GO on my iPad...
2017-2-12
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-12 11:51
I don't use that on screen control.  C2 and the right scroll wheel does the same.

C2 is the right customizable button on back of controller?  What do you set it to in order to get it + right scroll to control gimbal roll?
2017-2-17
Use props
Helimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

sd603 Posted at 2017-2-17 04:39
C2 is the right customizable button on back of controller?  What do you set it to in order to get it + right scroll to control gimbal roll?

I don't think you need to set it to anything, just hold the C2 button and use the right wheel to adjust the gimbal.

I've always had this problem. If the gimbal was simply tilted, it would be okay, since you can easily correct it mid-flight. The real problem is, that the horizon is actually drifting from side to side, even if the drone is perfectly still. Panning is a pain, because when facing north the horizon might be perfect, but when you turn south there's a 5 degree angle.
2017-2-17
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

That is exactly how the gimbal behaves on my Phantom 4.

Since the tilting seems to be related to the movement/pitch of the aircraft I guess they could compensate for it in a new firmware, at least to some extent. Even if it's probably a hardware problem and/or controller issue with the camera and gimbal.
2017-2-17
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
United States

sd603 Posted at 2017-2-17 04:39

Thanks, I started using it yesterday.  I'm sure I will be using all the time.
2017-2-18
Use props
DJI-Crooked
lvl.1

United States

Hello DJI employees (Natalia, Jamie, etc)!
This is DJI-Crooked (short for Crooked Horizon):
I was wondering if you would be so kind to enlighten those who have paid thousands of dollars for your drones if you ever plan on making a Phantom which does not have the crooked horizon problem?
Oh Great Ones, please enlighten us flocks if you shall bless us with a straight horizon. In the name of Vishnu, Krishna, and Babbaghanoush; in honor of falafel, please let us know.
Namaste,
Your humble servant,
DJI-Crooked (short for Crooked-Horizon)
2017-2-22
Use props
Damacone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358622 ft
United Kingdom

Given that this issue is most apparent (and annoying) when filming in areas with obvious, straight horizons - could DJI not add a mode which estimates the horizon by analysing the video and provides a correction that way?   Perhaps is could be added as an additional optional flight mode - presumably the video processing hardware already exists for the Active Track flight modes.

As DJI have apparently had this problem for several variants it would seem that the gimbal / IMU platform might not be up to the job on its own, so this might be a good workaround.

2017-2-22
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

Damacone Posted at 2017-2-22 13:08
Given that this issue is most apparent (and annoying) when filming in areas with obvious, straight horizons - could DJI not add a mode which estimates the horizon by analysing the video and provides a correction that way?   Perhaps is could be added as an additional optional flight mode - presumably the video processing hardware already exists for the Active Track flight modes.

As DJI have apparently had this problem for several variants it would seem that the gimbal / IMU platform might not be up to the job on its own, so this might be a good workaround.

DJI doesn't care enough to solve this problem. In fact, they don't even acknowledge that this is a problem!
2017-2-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

CrookedHorizon= Posted at 2017-2-22 19:16
DJI doesn't care enough to solve this problem. In fact, they don't even acknowledge that this is a problem!

How many usernames are you using here? And nothing of what you're posting under either username is helpful. Are you merely on a mission?
2017-2-22
Use props
CrookedHorizon=
lvl.1

United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-22 19:19
How many usernames are you using here? And nothing of what you're posting under either username is helpful. Are you merely on a mission?

I have approximately 22 usernames and 16 accounts on 8 separate IP addresses. Glad to be drawing attention to the crooked matter, Mr. Punchdrunk.
2017-2-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

CrookedHorizon= Posted at 2017-2-22 21:21
I have approximately 22 usernames and 16 accounts on 8 separate IP addresses. Glad to be drawing attention to the crooked matter, Mr. Punchdrunk.

Interesting. Well, at least 2 usernames on the same site which already a number of all-negative posts probably sums this up. Have fun, but it'd be nice if you also tried to help.
2017-2-22
Use props
SkyMemories
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139967 ft

Malaysia

i having this problem with my new p4.. send to warantty need 3 month.. i just sell it out... bad experience...
2017-2-23
Use props
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-1 18:46

yeah i can't wait i having the same problem too ...
2017-2-24
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maiden flight out of the box after all firmware updates and I have the issue.  While filming video the horizon leans left or right if you turn at all.  
2017-2-24
Use props
Julian Fly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4806 ft
Malaysia

Jasonstarbird Posted at 2017-2-11 18:15
I have just purchased a 4 pro, and I'm noticing the tilted horizon as well. my P3 Std doesn't seem to suffer from it.

I have the P3 Advanced and does not face such problem too. Only my P4Pro+ face such gimbal tilt.
2017-2-25
Use props
mpaka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19252874 ft
Serbia

Is the horizon drift problem solved with new FWs?

Thanks!
2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules