Best ND filters for the Mavic
12Next >
53013 45 2017-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
robpercyphoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I need some help I'm new to drones. I'm used to using ND filters on my cameras but havent come across the brands that are making them for the Mavic and Phantons Has anyone seen or done any testing with the DJI Mavic ND filters, polarpro NDs or Taco RC? Which ones are the best opically?  And finally when grading footage what gives the best results is it better to use a NDs or a ND/polariser?

Thanks guys
2017-2-5
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Plenty of posts on the forum site as well as YouTube videos of the various types.  You have already listed 3 of the brands - a couple of others are PGYTech and Freewell.  They all seem to be of comparable quality, but one has to be careful with clearance for the gimbal during startup and the filter on the lens.  Some people have had problems with the various brands with the filter obstructing the normal initializing of the gimbal.  Looks like the DJI brand would have the best design for clearance sake, but others have had luck with the other brands as well (I have the PGYTech ones and they have given me no problems).  Take some time to search the YouTube videos.
2017-2-5
Use props
robpercyphoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Petroboy Posted at 2017-2-5 13:11
Plenty of posts on the forum site as well as YouTube videos of the various types.  You have already listed 3 of the brands - a couple of others are PGYTech and Freewell.  They all seem to be of comparable quality, but one has to be careful with clearance for the gimbal during startup and the filter on the lens.  Some people have had problems with the various brands with the filter obstructing the normal initializing of the gimbal.  Looks like the DJI brand would have the best design for clearance sake, but others have had luck with the other brands as well (I have the PGYTech ones and they have given me no problems).  Take some time to search the YouTube videos.

Thanks for the feed back. I've spent time on youtube watching way to many videos and tutorials. The ones on ND filters seem to be about the clearance issue. But not so much about the effect on image quality. I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with them and recommendations.
2017-2-5
Use props
Aaticri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213022 ft
United Kingdom

Ive got the pgytech filters for the mavic and they interfere with gimble calibration but other than  that they are good but the gimble conflict is an issue for me tbh
2017-2-5
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I have the pgytech too. All of them cpl, uv, nd-4-32. The one I mainly use is the uv filter and 32. The nd16 has a defect in the lens, but I can't be bothered to complain. It's always a toss up when your dealing with cheap sets from China. Got them all for 60 bucks before Christmas.

I'm pretty happy with the set though. Very nice design on the lens case, metal and just big enough to fit lenses. Fits into a compact bag. Looks like the others have big ass lens cases for whatever reason.. fail. That's all can comment on. I saw some footage sent to me through messages on polar pl+nd16 filters, and that looked a bit different than mine.
2017-2-5
Use props
robpercyphoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aaticri Posted at 2017-2-5 13:33
Ive got the pgytech filters for the mavic and they interfere with gimble calibration but other than  that they are good but the gimble conflict is an issue for me tbh

Thanks that really helps I'll add the pgytech to the avoid list
2017-2-5
Use props
robpercyphoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-5 13:35
I have the pgytech too. All of them cpl, uv, nd-4-32. The one I mainly use is the uv filter and 32. The nd16 has a defect in the lens, but I can't be bothered to complain. It's always a toss up when your dealing with cheap sets from China. Got them all for 60 bucks before Christmas.

I'm pretty happy with the set though. Very nice design on the lens case, metal and just big enough to fit lenses. Fits into a compact bag. Looks like the others have big ass lens cases for whatever reason.. fail.  That's all can comment on. I saw some footage sent to me through messages on polar pl+nd16 filters, and that looked a bit different than mine.

Cheers for the comprehensive feed back. I'll see if I can find a video comparison between the pgytech and the polarpro.
2017-2-5
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

I can't comment on 'best' but I just got the PolarPro cinema series-vivid and I am very impressed.  Freakishly light and don't interfere with the gimbal calibration.  Also a snug fit without being difficult to get on and off.  Also like that they're polarized but from my limited testing they don't appear to screw up colors.
2017-2-5
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

The pgytech init fine. I don't know if it's because of the older firmware though.

Here's the cpl, no grading turned a bit out. I kind of like it. It's almost like it's graded. With the nd filters, it's hard to get good shots if your all over the place, makes the shadows really dark and unrealistic to me. Even the shots I see on the net, they don't look right. You turn it up though and your shutter is over 100. Your stuck in a small range to get the smoothing effect.

2017-2-6
Use props
robpercyphoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-6 00:03
The pgytech init fine. I don't know if it's because of the older firmware though.

Here's the cpl, no grading turned a bit out. I kind of like it. It's almost like it's graded. With the nd filters, it's hard to get good shots if your all over the place, makes the shadows really dark and unrealistic to me. Even the shots I see on the net, they don't look right. You turn it up though and your shutter is over 100. Your stuck in a small range to get the smoothing effect.

Thanks the visual reference really helps. Appreciate the help. And who doesn't love a duelling banjo
2017-2-6
Use props
Freewell
lvl.4

United States

Hey

Checkout out Freewell 6Pack a perfect set for all light condition each filter double side mulit coated.

here you can checkout the user review as well on them

Thanks
Harry from Freewell
2017-2-6
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

ND's are going to leave all colors unchanged and neutral, while ND/PL's are going to reduce glare and increase color saturation and contrast.

I mainly use our Cinema Series ND/PL filters with the Mavic, I enjoy the increased color saturation and the reduced glare, however it is just personal preference on the look you are going for.

Here are a few shots I put together with our Cinema Series Filters

-Jeff
2017-2-6
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

In the snow I'm getting a significant reduction in glare with the Vivids

LakeSnow1_Small.jpeg
2017-2-6
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

robpercyphoto Posted at 2017-2-6 00:58
Thanks the visual reference really helps. Appreciate the help. And who doesn't love a duelling banjo

Yeah you should see my other videos.. Squeel like a pig!
2017-2-6
Use props
robpercyphoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

PolarPro Posted at 2017-2-6 09:20
ND's are going to leave all colors unchanged and neutral, while ND/PL's are going to reduce glare and increase color saturation and contrast.

I mainly use our Cinema Series ND/PL filters with the Mavic, I enjoy the increased color saturation and the reduced glare, however it is just personal preference on the look you are going for.

I'd be tempted by these but I can't seem to find anywhere with them in stock in the UK.
2017-2-6
Use props
robpercyphoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-6 10:38
In the snow I'm getting a significant reduction in glare with the Vivids

Lovely tonal range you've achieved there. Living in the UK I have to get as much help as I can to get  colour and contrast. I live in a country thats default look is LOG. The vivd with the ND/PL might be my best bet.
2017-2-6
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

robpercyphoto Posted at 2017-2-6 11:00
I'd be tempted by these but I can't seem to find anywhere with them in stock in the UK.

That guy drone flies you. He has video he could probably share. I was pretty impressed with the pl+nd polar pro footage. I'm not sure if that video polar posted there is with a mavic, why rather see user footage. But ask drone flies you if he'll share it, was pretty good stuff. He even has footage of a rainbow. Not sure how the pl didn't block but if that was a mavic and not the inspire 2 (which I know drone also owns so.. I'm just sayin)

Awesome picture Buzz.. I need to do more of those
2017-2-6
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

robpercyphoto Posted at 2017-2-6 11:05
Lovely tonal range you've achieved there. Living in the UK I have to get as much help as I can to get  colour and contrast. I live in a country thats default look is LOG. The vivd with the ND/PL might be my best bet.

Thanks much!  I know all about that default LOG look... I grew up in Northern Ireland  
2017-2-6
Use props
robpercyphoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-6 11:04
That guy drone flies you. He has video he could probably share. I was pretty impressed with the pl+nd polar pro footage. I'm not sure if that video polar posted there is with a mavic, why rather see user footage. But ask drone flies you if he'll share it, was pretty good stuff. He even has footage of a rainbow. Not sure how the pl didn't block but if that was a mavic and not the inspire 2 (which I know drone also owns so.. I'm just sayin)

Awesome picture Buzz.. I need to do more of those

I'm inclined to agree. Some of that footage is too good to be the mavic And description for this video does say it was a mixture of shots from mavic, Phanton and inspire 2 X5s. While the Mavic is good I'm under no illusions about the limitations of the camera on it. One day I might buy an inspire but not today. My Mavic should be arriving tomorrow woohoo
2017-2-6
Use props
utahskier
lvl.2
United States

All of these shots a from a mavic?
2017-2-6
Use props
Jimney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103268 ft
United Kingdom

robpercyphoto Posted at 2017-2-6 11:00

For info Hobbeymounts are the UK distributor for the PolarPros. I've got a set of the cinema series on order and stock is due to arrive into the UK anyday soon as was told a fortnight about a fortnight ago.
2017-2-7
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Hi There, I have just received my TacoRC set yesterday. They are looking perfect and the gimbal passes the initial process with no problem!
Cheers!
2017-2-7
Use props
robpercyphoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Jimney Posted at 2017-2-7 00:32
For info Hobbeymounts are the UK distributor for the PolarPros. I've got a set of the cinema series on order and stock is due to arrive into the UK anyday soon as was told a fortnight about a fortnight ago.

I'm registered for updates so I look forward to receiving that and possibly ordering some.  
2017-2-7
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

utahskier Posted at 2017-2-6 18:14
All of these shots a from a mavic?

If you are referring to this video, This is with the Mavic, P4PRO, and Inspire2 using our Cinema Series Filters

Jeff
2017-2-20
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

Willik Posted at 2017-2-7 00:51
Hi There, I have just received my TacoRC set yesterday. They are looking perfect and the gimbal passes the initial process with no problem!
Cheers!

I agree with Willik, have found the TacoRC great with no problems and setting up the camera is a lot easier than with nothing but I guess you could say the same about most of them! They come with a nifty case so everything is catered for.
2017-2-20
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

Question , I have these filters, but what settings do I need on my mavic pro camera??  im getting video jerk also
2017-4-8
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Realstinger Posted at 2017-4-8 18:57
Question , I have these filters, but what settings do I need on my mavic pro camera??  im getting video jerk also

I personally shoot 100 ISO, 4k / 30 and use whatever filter is needed to shoot at 1/60th.

There are a lot of different preferences on what settings to use.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Jeff from PolarPro
2017-4-9
Use props
Arcaniz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 63012 ft
Malaysia

PolarPro Posted at 2017-4-9 15:29
I personally shoot 100 ISO, 4k / 30 and use whatever filter is needed to shoot at 1/60th.

There are a lot of different preferences on what settings to use.

I am hunting for nd filters and made up my mind on polar pro. However, you guys do not ship to Malaysia! What are my options?
2017-6-10
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like my DJI OEM ND filters.  They are made for the Mavic and do not affect the gimbal calibration.  However, they are very fragile. The design is made for the Mavic camera barrel clip, but, the glass is extremely fragile to handle.  You must always be very careful removing and installing the filter.
2017-6-10
Use props
fans61b41c6f
New
Flight distance : 505538 ft
Malaysia

Arcaniz, go to march.my
I bought my vivid collection from PolarPro frm them.

IMG_6329.PNG
2017-6-20
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

i hear PolarPro "Vivid" or "Cinema" filters are great, they are my next purchase! ND+PL etc
2017-6-20
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Aaticri Posted at 2017-2-5 13:33

yeah me too, I wish I had known before re the gimble issue as I would of just got polarpro instead, guess i'll use them until some good deal on PolarPro turns up...
2017-6-20
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I know someone who got a set of these http://amzn.to/2tpt0VU apparently they are good and work well, I hope to buy myself a set soon
2017-6-20
Use props
Bella Chen
New

China

Geekbuying
2017-8-13
Use props
fans2dabc2aa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 154 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,
I have a stupid question about the filters and the camera setup. If I well understand, I can mount whatever number (depending by brightness conditions) and use D-CINELIKE (I am in UK  but I like this one), -1,-1,-1, ISO 100 4K 24fps shutter 50 is it correct or I have to change the shutter when I use the filters?
Thanks

Tony

2017-9-15
Use props
MichaelDiggs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151 ft
  • >>>
United States

I mainly use our Cinema Series ND/PL filters with the Mavic, I enjoy the increased color saturation and the reduced glare, however it is just personal preference on the look you are going for.

Looks good, but those prices for such small filters. I paid much less for my Nikon filters which were professional rated. Hey, they are all made in China- hit or miss.
2017-12-23
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MichaelDiggs Posted at 2017-12-23 22:23
Looks good, but those prices for such small filters. I paid much less for my Nikon filters which were professional rated. Hey, they are all made in China- hit or miss.

The Cinema Series uses an optical crown glass with a very low refractive index. Additionally these lenses are precisely coated to reduce flaring and ghosting, while retaining a perfectly neutral color profile. We stand behind our products 100% with a lifetime warranty, and customer support from people who actually fly and shoot

Let me know if you have any specific questions or you want me to nerd out on some more glass specs

-Jeff from PolarPro
Cinema Series Mavic Filters: https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... ers-and-accessories
2017-12-26
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2017-4-9 15:29

There are a lot of different preferences on what settings to use.

Did you edit the colors or something? This video looks too nice
2018-1-6
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-6 17:29
Did you edit the colors or something? This video looks too nice

No color grading on that specific video, just shooting with the standard color profile, using our Cinema Series Vivid filters, and shooting during some good lighting. Glad you think the video looks nice!

Let me know if you have any questions on the filters!
-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-1-11
Use props
stefanzo
New
Spain

Jeff, I'm going to the ice igloos in northern finland to do some footage with the mavic pro. Which of the PolarPro ND's do you recommend? I don't have any. Will I need to go up to ND64 do you think? I'd rather not get two packs if I can help it but really want to be using the 180 rule where I can. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Stefan
2018-2-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules