Any experience on bringing drones on vacation??
1010 12 2017-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mariuss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Going to Italy this summer and planning on bringing the P4 for recreational flights only. Have read all ENAC (Italian Aviation Authority) local regulations but it's quite vague in terms of license and permit. Have seen some previous posts regarding this (Italy) with a weak conclusion. I have a license from the Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority (RPAS/RO1) which covers <2.5kg. Apart from the usual no sharp carbon props and cover up battery contacts in separate lipobags, is there anything to be worried about?

-Marius

2017-2-21
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi, you seem to have a lot of the basis covered,I have traveled a lot with the P4 and some airlines just don't like lipo's! with that said I normally travel with my battery's in storage mode, and some other airlines like them discharged. Have your drone/acsessories and components all in one bag as carry on luggage.
Good luck
2017-2-21
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-21 04:26
Hi, you seem to have a lot of the basis covered,I have traveled a lot with the P4 and some airlines just don't like lipo's! with that said I normally travel with my battery's in storage mode, and some other airlines like them discharged. Have your drone/acsessories and components all in one bag as carry on luggage.
Good luck

Thanks Nigel! We're flying with a familiar airline so have checked the boxed with them! Not so sure about the Italian customs though...
2017-2-21
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Mariuss Posted at 2017-2-21 05:51
Thanks Nigel! We're flying with a familiar airline so have checked the boxed with them! Not so sure about the Italian customs though...

That's right it's always the case the local customs are fine, it's the overseas customs that are harder and the so called "unaware" factor comes into it.
2017-2-21
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-21 05:57
That's right it's always the case the local customs are fine, it's the overseas customs that are harder and the so called "unaware" factor comes into it.

Yeah! I've read some cases where they (cant remember where) seized it upon departure home. Would be great if any italians saw this post really!..
2017-2-21
Use props
Luca Marinello
New
United Kingdom

I have visited my family in Italy, and bringing the drone on the plane was no problem. Actually, the TSA agents were intrigued. The problems I went through were the laws on flying drones, in the place I was in.  The laws are much different than the laws in the UK. I would just make sure that it is clear to them that it is a drone, and bring it in one of the cases they approve.
2017-2-21
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Luca Marinello Posted at 2017-2-21 09:29
I have visited my family in Italy, and bringing the drone on the plane was no problem. Actually, the TSA agents were intrigued. The problems I went through were the laws on flying drones, in the place I was in.  The laws are much different than the laws in the UK. I would just make sure that it is clear to them that it is a drone, and bring it in one of the cases they approve.

Thanks Luca! By "they", are you talking about the aiport officials or local police enforcement? Do you happen to posess approved cases?

-Marius
2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2017-2-21 14:42
Thanks Luca! By "they", are you talking about the aiport officials or local police enforcement? Do you happen to posess approved cases?

-Marius

He is talking about airline. I usually bring my P4back pack has everything in one bag. Make sure you discharge the battery to 50% an use the following, either one will work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Better be safe than NO FLYING...Have fun and post some of those pic and vids
2017-2-22
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

dronist Posted at 2017-2-22 09:59
He is talking about airline. I usually bring my P4back pack has everything in one bag. Make sure you discharge the battery to 50% an use the following, either one will work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GPUG9S0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is the Lipo bags required? Otherwise ill just throw on some ducktape
2017-2-22
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2017-2-22 11:24
Is the Lipo bags required? Otherwise ill just throw on some ducktape

the bag is Fire Resistant. I don't like to take any chances to save few extra bucks and it will put at ease any airline employee. I actually use them even when I am charging the battery at home or on the road.

Lots of people underestimate the power and damage of a Lipo battery. Why become a statistics?
2017-2-22
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

dronist Posted at 2017-2-22 12:46
the bag area Fire Resistant. I don't like to take any chances to save few extra bucks and it will put at ease any airline employee. I actually use them even when I am charging the battery at home or on the road.

Lots of people underestimate the power and damage of a Lipo battery. Why become a statistics.

Agreed... Thank you for that!
2017-2-22
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2017-2-22 12:51
Agreed... Thank you for that!

Your are welcome and post some of the vids...
2017-2-22
Use props
Mariuss
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

dronist Posted at 2017-2-22 17:27
Your are welcome and post some of the vids...

Will do!
2017-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules