Battery Maintenance Help
1104 4 2017-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skywalker1122
lvl.1
United States

So I got my Phantom 4 a few months ago and am loving it. Only thing I am kind of confused about is the battery maintenance. I watched the tutorials but for some reason I can't grasp it. I don't understand the discharging aspect of it and what not. Could someone lay out some simple battery maintenance steps? I'd really appreciate it!
2017-2-23
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

The simplest maintenance is don't sweat it. If the battery is charged up and you didn't mess with default settings, then within 10 days will automatically discharge for conservation purposes. I usually recharge every night and fly every two-three days. No maintenance required. There are manuals and colour codes as if life wasn't complicated already, if you want to go on that road I guess is safer.
2017-2-23
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi you can charge your batteries as normal, start drone and link up to your device etc, then to get into the battery 'Time to Discharge' section, tap the 3 dots top right of your screen, then tap on the 5th item which is the battery icon, scroll down to advanced settings tap on it, then you can set up the discharge days to what suits you. Then it will discharge the batteries automatically after your set days, it will put them into storage mode.   
I normally set mine to around 5-8 days till discharge.
I think to that if your batteries are sitting at idle don't press the button on the battery as this will reset the  days to discharge.
2017-2-24
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

They really don't need much maintenance and are quite likely to last longer than the aircraft whatever you do, but you can extend their useful life, ensure good performance and reduce loss of capacity over time if you follow some rules:

• Always fully charge the battery no more than 24 hours before you fly with it, preferably on the day you fly with it.  If you don't do this then you can't trust the %Full figure so you should then land early.
  • After use always recharge the battery within 24 hours, the sooner the better. If you are not going to use it within another 24 hours then only recharge to 50%.
  • Set the auto discharge to a low value, if you only fly at weekends then set it to 2 days.
  • Periodically discharge the battery to 8% by leaving the aircraft powered on.  This allows it to recalibrate it's capacity and thus give an accurate %Full value and ensures that low power auto land works before it crash lands.  E.g. Every 30 flights or 6 months depending on which comes first, or if the %Full value seems inaccurate.
  • Avoid discharging below 8%, especially while flying.

If you follow these rules, the wind is reasonably low and you have an easy landing site, then there is no reason not to keep flying until the aircraft does a low power return to home, landing early at 50% or 30% will not significantly help the battery or improve safety.
2017-2-24
Use props
Skywalker1122
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everyone!
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules