PLEASE! What is Gimbal Synchronous Follow?!!
3615 22 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been doing a lot of reading and searching and no one seems to have a definitive answer to what the setting is really supposed to do. What I am more surprised about is the fact that no one is really talking about the setting not doing anything at all. I have posted a video where I brifly talked about it, but didn't get any response to it. Today I have decided to make another video showing better the difference between having the Gimbal Synchronous Follow on and off. Please can somene check this on their Mavic and let me know if its only mine or all of them are having this issue.

Thanks!

2017-3-6
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I am sorry but I don't think your video was really a good test. You need to go outside and take some video of the same scene with the setting on and off and using the same yaw speed for comparison.
When this setting is on the gimbal is slightly rotated left or right depending on which way you are yawing to smooth out the movement. Without this setting on, then the same yaw movement will be a little bit jerky.
You could also test this on the bench by just having the Mavic turned on, no props rotating, and yaw left and right. There will be a slight movement of the gimbal when the setting is on and no movement when the setting is off.
2017-3-6
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lol i dont know how to show it more clearly than this video that there's no difference (at least on my Mavic) when I have the setting on or off. I showed both and I can't tell the difference. I was chating with someone yesterday that said that they tested on their Mavic and they could notice the difference, but I have yet to see a video of someone showing this feature working in the Mavic.
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have seen it working on the Phantom 3, but not the Mavic.
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Also, people keep telling me "just set down on the floor and give some yaw movement and you will see it working"... I DO! I can see it working on the ground while not flying, but thats not doing any good for me if it works on the ground but not during flight!!! Lol
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Further more, please understand that what I want is to see the Gimbal Pan Synchronous Follow "NOT WORKING", meaning I want to be able to see the camera stay behind when I yaw left or right. That is not happening right now. It doesnt matter if the setting is on or off, the camera always stays/keeps up with the quad.
2017-3-7
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Watch this video for a good tutorial of several of the features. If you want to skip ahead to the explanation of the pan synchronous follow, got to 13:43. I think waht you expecting is not what this does. All it does is allows the gimbal to start moving when you provide stick input ot try to smooth out the transitions so it isn't as choppy. If your looking for the gimbal to stay fixed on an object while you yaw the mavic you will need to use one of the advanced flight modes that do this.

2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Trust me, I've been around drones, gimbals, cameras and video for a long while. The Mavic is not my first quad. I guess I will just have to live with it because I can't make myself clear lol. I will give it one last try.

(WHEN THE MAVIC IS SITTING ON THE GROUND, NOT FLYING, NOT HOVERING, SITTING ON THE GROUND turned on) I have no problems here.
- Again, just like in this guy's video, when the Mavic is on the ground and I have Gimbal Pan Synchronous Follow turned ON I can move the gimbal when I give yaw left or right on the controller .
- Now, when the setting is set to OFF, I cannot move the camera left or right. This is the expected behavior.

(WHEN THE MAVIC IS FLYING,  HOVERING, NOT SITTING ON THE GROUND)
- With the setting set to ON, the camera follows the quad. At the same time that I give yaw input the camera starts moving so it keeps up with the quad. Its like it is glued to the Mavic (which I can't understand why this would be ideal for cinematic shots since you'll have to start and stop the pan very carefully not to push or let go of the stick too fast, but thats not the point now).
- With the setting set to OFF, the camera STILL follows the quad. At the same time that I give yaw input the camera starts moving so it keeps up with the quad. Its like it is glued to the Mavic. So the OFF state behaves exactly the same as the ON state.

Another way of explaining it would be (which I also did on the video)
- If you carry the Mavic by hand and rotate it left and right (yaw) you can see how the gimbal behaves. Its not keeping up with the quad. It behaves how I would expect a gimbal to behave, it tries to smooth out the movement by starting the rotation slowly and ending the rotation slowly (Just like the gimbal buffer setting behaves for the tilt).

If you can't understand me, I just give up! lol. Thank you all for trying though!
2017-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-3-7 13:02
Watch this video for a good tutorial of several of the features. If you want to skip ahead to the explanation of the pan synchronous follow, got to 13:43. I think waht you expecting is not what this does. All it does is allows the gimbal to start moving when you provide stick input ot try to smooth out the transitions so it isn't as choppy. If your looking for the gimbal to stay fixed on an object while you yaw the mavic you will need to use one of the advanced flight modes that do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C93n2ib8JcU

Thanks heavysledz, good video..
2017-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your video is arse about face make a video with the actual Mavic then we might be able to see what happens..
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I did!!! Skip to minute 7:26

2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The point of the 'arse about face' video was to show what the gimbal is actually doing, where the camera is pointing at in real time, so it is easier (or so I thought) for you guys to see that the gimbal behaves exactly the same no matter if the Gimbal Pan Synchronous Follow is on or off.
2017-3-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-3-7 14:50
The point of the 'arse about face' video was to show what the gimbal is actually doing, where the camera is pointing at in real time, so it is easier (or so I thought) for you guys to see that the gimbal behaves exactly the same no matter if the Gimbal Pan Synchronous Follow is on or off.

Are you in FPV mode? Wonder if that prevents the synchronous follow feature to do its thing?
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-7 15:06
Are you in FPV mode? Wonder if that prevents the synchronous follow feature to do its thing?

Im not, you can notice quickly if you're flying in FPV mode. As soon as you start flying sideways the horizon will go crazy lol! But I understand your question because thats how I feel right now. Having the synchronous follow ON would be good for FPV flights but not really for cinematic shots.
2017-3-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-3-7 15:11
Im not, you can notice quickly if you're flying in FPV mode. As soon as you start flying sideways the horizon will go crazy lol! But I understand your question because thats how I feel right now. Having the synchronous follow ON would be good for FPV flights but not really for cinematic shots.

Are you using Go 3 or Go 4 on Android? My iOS Go 4 settings for this feature don't look like that -- the selection is a kind of pop-up menu.
2017-3-7
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-3-7 14:50

I understood your 'are about video' just fine.
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am using Go4 on Android. I do know that some features dont work across iOS and Android, as an example, pressing C2 and the exposure wheel to adjust horizon on the fly. It works on iOS but not on Droid.
2017-3-7
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Doots Posted at 2017-3-7 16:19
I understood your 'are about video' just fine.

Lol thanks man!! but is it the same for you or  yours makes a difference when you change it?
2017-3-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-3-7 16:32
Lol thanks man!! but is it the same for you or  yours makes a difference when you change it?

So I did some testing yesterday and it seems that the feature makes for a smoother end in panning when changing direction of the pan or stopping.

IOW, w/o the feature being enabled, switching or stopping pan direction is immediate and abrupt, with it enabled, the transitions ease-in and out instead.

It's a subtle effect, and one that might be missed if we are paying all our attention to the beginning of the pan instead of its end.
2017-3-10
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-10 21:08
So I did some testing yesterday and it seems that the feature makes for a smoother end in panning when changing direction of the pan or stopping.

IOW, w/o the feature being enabled, switching or stopping pan direction is immediate and abrupt, with it enabled, the transitions ease-in and out instead.

That is exactly what I would like to achieve! A smooth start and finish of the pan motion. At the moment, I cannot make the gimbal behave differently when the setting is changed to either on or off. I have already tried using an iPhone as well to see if that would make a difference but no luck. I am also running the latest FW update .500. I have a friend of mine that has a Mavic as well. I will test on his and see if it changes for him.

Thanks!
2017-3-11
Use props
墨老爷子
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

Thanks for reporting this .The featrue supports other drones,but not mavic. We will optimize it soon.
2017-3-13
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

墨老爷子 Posted at 2017-3-13 03:18
Thanks for reporting this .The featrue supports other drones,but not mavic. We will optimize it soon.

Thank you so much for this!!! Now I feel like Im not crazy and confirms my suspension that most people in this forum didnt really know what I was talking about. Thats why I was asking for someone to show me footage of the setting actually making a difference and no one was able to. For the guys that tested and saw a difference, I dont know how that worked for you. I will be waiting for this feature to get fixed, Im positive it will dramatically increase the smoothness of the pan without having to mess too much with the yaw settings!
2017-3-13
Use props
fansc9ac5977
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules