Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2d43ce12
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194633 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Newbie here.
I just received my Phantom 3 Advanced to day.  I charged the battery and once completed, I tried to turn on.  The quad turned on, beeped, gimbal twitched then smoke came out.  The smoke came out from the SD card location.  Gimbal guard was removed prior to turning on.

Has this happened to anybody?  What could be the cause?
Any insight?
This unit was purchased refurbished.
2017-3-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Send it back, something in the video processor is fried.
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear that, please send it in, we'll evaluate it for you.
You can contact our tech support here: http://www.dji.com/support/product
2017-3-8
Use props
fans2d43ce12
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I just received the RMA number.  Will send it back shortly today.  

Could this be the battery as well?
The RMA instructions said no battery.  Just want to make sure it's not it.  Don't want to fry the quad once repaired.  
2017-3-9
Use props
fans2d43ce12
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I also noticed this while I was looking at the Phantom Advanced.  The unit I bought is Advanced and the badge is Standard.  
IMG_1251.JPG
2017-3-9
Use props
fans2d43ce12
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Let me rotate that.  
IMG_1251.JPG
2017-3-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It appears that you received a Phantom 3 Standard, which was shipped in a Phantom 3 Advanced shipping box. I doubt the Standard sticker was placed on an Advanced model by mistake.

Either way, if it's smoking, it needs to be sent back, for replacement. Did you try to get any info through the flight LOG  at www.phantomhelp.com yet?
www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload

RedHotPoker
2017-3-9
Use props
Palladous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 102185 ft
United States

It has been my experience with anything electronic that the smoke always need to stay inside.  It is a vital component to maintain good functioning systems. Once the smoke comes out, they no longer seem to work quite so good. {:4_154:}
2017-3-9
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.3

United States

Palladous Posted at 2017-3-9 15:17
It has been my experience with anything electronic that the smoke always need to stay inside.  It is a vital component to maintain good functioning systems. Once the smoke comes out, they no longer seem to work quite so good.

Hence the phrase my electrical engineering professor always said about capacitors & resistors: "Don't let the smoke out!"
In regards to the OP: where did you purchase the P3A from? Authorized reseller or eBay/similar?
2017-3-9
Use props
fans2d43ce12
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I bought this on DJI online store.   I didn't even get the chance hook the quad with my phone.  I turned it off as soon as I smell something burning.  So the quad has zero flight.
2017-3-9
Use props
fans2d43ce12
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Now, how do I contact DJI to say which quad did I get?  Advanced with Standard badge OR Standard dressed as Advanced.  

How can you tell which one is this Quad without connecting to phone or tablet?
2017-3-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The silver nameplate and stickers seem to indicate it is an Advanced model, as you purchased. Quick check is whether the SD card slot is in the side of the camera or the gimbal unit.
2017-3-9
Use props
BaconNBeer
lvl.1
United States

Did you remove the foam behind the gimbal? I forgot my first time out. Luckily no problems.
2017-3-9
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Best send it in for evaluation and replacement if necessary. I have discovered over the years that electronics tend to stop working once the smoke is let out. I have never found an reliable method to put it back in either.
2017-3-9
Use props
fans2d43ce12
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Yes, removed the foam and clear plastic gimbal protector.   I had no intentions of flying the quad.  I wanted to connect to my phone so I can use the simulator.  
2017-3-9
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I wonder if the GPS was active and logged a location.

You will probably get this replaced but could also get fine to pay*

*If you were in a designated non-smoking zone
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It does seem really odd. It will need to be evaluated in person to determine what's going on. Since you did get a RMA number, this will get sorted soon enough.
2017-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules