Any propellers guards against indoor ceiling crash ?
1139 6 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sam Nam
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7454 ft
United States

Hi. I see some propellers that are bent up at the ends. Do these protect the propellers against hitting ceiling indoors ? Any particular brand ?It seems like a necessity, considering P4P does have upward sensors. Thanks.
2017-3-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

In my humble opinion, The best way to fly safely indoors, is by using the onboard flight SIM.

Prop guards are more useful, for protecting stuff you may inadvertently bump into.
Unless you have a large open area to fly indoors, it might be best to buy a small indoor drone.
Something that can be beaten up pretty good, without doing it any real harm or damage.

Others may have a very different thought... But personally, my thinking is the Phantom isn't a good drone to fly indoors.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-11
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I have to agree with RedHotPoker. Drones come in different sizes, flavors and categories. Some are more like flying machines with high speed and very fast maneuvering and all kinds of flashy flips and flops, others are the more steady type, designed to carry a good quality camera and make pictures outdoor.
The Phantom most definitely is in this category. It is a flying camera , much more than an aircraft.
And it has no upward sensors. Would be tricky to install these as 95 % of the top is covered by the rotating propellers.
2017-3-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

PhanFran Posted at 2017-3-11 23:20
I have to agree with RedHotPoker. Drones come in different sizes, flavors and categories. Some are more like flying machines with high speed and very fast maneuvering and all kinds of flashy flips and flops, others are the more steady type, designed to carry a good quality camera and make pictures outdoor.
The Phantom most definitely is in this category. It is a flying camera , much more than an aircraft.
And it has no upward sensors. Would be tricky to install these as 95 % of the top is covered by the rotating propellers.

Yes, as a great example, for indoor flight is the Parrot AR Drone 2.0 has an indoor hull, that can accommodate flying it into the ceiling, and it will hover in place, stuck to the ceiling.  As well, it will bounce off of lamps and other obstacles without much bother. Pull that hull off and pop on an outdoor hull, and you can fly it quite well in the back yard or in a park, as long as the wind is mild, and you are in control. But it is very limiting, as it flys similarly to the Phantom 3 Standard within its own wifi network. And it's two cameras aren't movable, so you get the same angle of video, no matter how you fly it.  
But it's very light, and wouldn't do any damage to something it bumps into, if flying indoors.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-12
Use props
Sam Nam
lvl.1
United States

I agree that Phantom 4 pro is not made for indoor flying. Inspite of all it's sensors, it can cause some serious damage if running into stuff or worst, someone.
I have my P4P for about a week now and have purchased several accessories.  As far as propeller guards, I purchased a set that clamps and it is straight out. I purchased another set which hooks up and have the ends bent upwards. I was just wondering if there are some propeller guards that bend up for 2 inches or so at the end, so it would protect against ceilings crash.
Even though P4P is not made for flying indoors, people will fly it indoors (myself included) and this could be a life saver.
Any thoughts on that ? Should I patent it ? Thanks.
2017-3-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Patent what, an idea? ;-)

You need to draw up plans and build your mock up set. Prototype examples.

If you have a 3D printer, all the better.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-15
Use props
Sam Nam
lvl.1
United States

But seriously, don't you think it would be a neat idea for indoors ?
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules