video went dark half way throught flight
1067 15 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
josh crow
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hi
just been out on a flight with my phantom 4,and the video went dark half way through the flight
the video settings were on auto
i dont think i presed anything in the app whilst flying
just going to try to upload a video of it
any sugestions what could have caused it
thanks

2017-3-12
Use props
Håkan K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 262946 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Can it be an issue with the SD card?
2017-3-12
Use props
josh crow
lvl.2
United Kingdom

here is the youtube video 6 minutes 48 seconds starts to go dark

2017-3-12
Use props
Håkan K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 262946 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Sorry. Thought it went completely black. No idea.
2017-3-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Did you tap the screen at all while flying?
2017-3-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Looks like you changed the exposure somehow, either the circle on screen placed or moved to wrong spot, or the right exposure wheel.  Try it in Manual exposure mode and not Auto too.

When mine fails, the screen goes black, sometimes with a thin blue border, and I have to restart the app and often the tablet too.  I just flip it into ATTI mode and fly it manually until the tablet reboots.  Getting sort of used to it now (Thanks Samsung!).

2017-3-12
Use props
josh crow
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-12 09:33
Did you tap the screen at all while flying?

i cant remember touching the screen
once i landed i turned the p4 off and then flew again 10 mins later
and it looked ok
2017-3-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

josh crow Posted at 2017-3-12 09:55
i cant remember touching the screen
once i landed i turned the p4 off and then flew again 10 mins later
and it looked ok

If you have the exposure set to auto, accidentally tapping on the screen outside of a menu option might had changed it. Has this happened again since or was this an one time event?
2017-3-12
Use props
josh crow
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-12 09:56
If you have the exposure set to auto, accidentally tapping on the screen outside of a menu option might had changed it. Has this happened again since or was this an one time event?

just today
but only flew once afterwards for 2 mins
i will try to get some flights in tomorrow and see what happens, also i will touch the screen on the AE and see if i can make it happen
2017-3-12
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

looks like an exposure issue. if you had the caption on then you can check the shutter speed and iso in order to make sure you were in auto exposure.if you didint have the caption enabled, then what i see is the entire scene going dark. that can not be due to tapping exposure on the screen because it would expose the tapped area correctly, which is not the case here.
people using filters do lock the shutter speed and obtain the exact results you have presented here, did you use filter by any chance?
if after that the camera still recorded normally- like i see you mention it in a later post, then  i would suspect an inadvertent shutter lock.i have never customized the C1 and C2 and am not aware of how versatile that is, but is it possible you did and then inadvertendly pressed one of them at the time of darkening?

2017-3-12
Use props
josh crow
lvl.2
United Kingdom

WindSoul Posted at 2017-3-12 11:04
looks like an exposure issue. if you had the caption on then you can check the shutter speed and iso in order to make sure you were in auto exposure.if you didint have the caption enabled, then what i see is the entire scene going dark. that can not be due to tapping exposure on the screen because it would expose the tapped area correctly, which is not the case here.
people using filters do lock the shutter speed and obtain the exact results you have presented here, did you use filter aby any chance?
if after that the camera still recorded normally, then  i would suspect an inadvertent shutter lock. if camera still records dark, then i would do a reset to default and take it from there.

hi
we havnt got any filters
the AE was on the screen i can remember that
and i used the wheel to move the gimble up and down a few times
but cant realy remember much of the flight ,was concentrating on the ipad screen
thanks
2017-3-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

josh crow Posted at 2017-3-12 10:34
just today
but only flew once afterwards for 2 mins
i will try to get some flights in tomorrow and see what happens, also i will touch the screen on the AE and see if i can make it happen

Please keep me posted.
2017-3-13
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Fwiw, this AM  I noticed my yellow exposure circle kept moving into the upper left of the screen which was the sky after I set it around mid-screen.  That behavior resulted in darkening as it was setting the sky.

Don't know why it was moving up to the upper left by itself, unless it does this after it has been initially set?  It was set on Auto/Movie too as I recall.

2017-3-13
Use props
josh crow
lvl.2
United Kingdom

it was too windy today to fly
i will try again tomorrow
thanks
2017-3-13
Use props
josh crow
lvl.2
United Kingdom

well i must have pressed the AE on the screen or something when video went dark
as i went on a 15 min flight yesterday and on startup there wasnt the AE yellow circle on the screen and i never touched the screen and no dark in the flight
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

josh crow Posted at 2017-3-16 15:34
well i must have pressed the AE on the screen or something when video went dark
as i went on a 15 min flight yesterday and on startup there wasnt the AE yellow circle on the screen and i never touched the screen and no dark in the flight

Touch screens can be a little finicky sometimes. It's good to hear that it looks sorted thus far.
2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules