Stuck in a tree (10-15m high)
123Next >
14059 94 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

So, I guess that's it.  While I was still discovering the wondering possibilities of it, my Mavic is now stuck like 15m high at the top of a tree.  The camera was still working when I left it.  Could not make the propellers move to make it fall.
Such a stupid mistake : caught by the scenery, I moved backwards thinking I was both higher than the trees and not yet near the trees.  Forgot I had the gimbal like 45° and not straight vertical : trees were right there and I missed like 2 meters to be higher than the trees.

If any hope, does the dji care refresh works in such situation ?  Totally my mistake, I have to agree.

Photos will follow, even though the won't make it come back.  Poor little thing will wait for its battery to empty, then the night dark and cold, rain in the coming days ...

2017-3-12
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

2017-3-12
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

M_str Posted at 2017-3-12 09:10
[view_image]
[view_image]
[view_image]

Hey, sorry to hear about the drone, someone else posted a similar topic and used this. https://shop.coolmaterial.com/products/retreev?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=994285216&gclid=Cj0KEQiAgJTGBRDLr5_az_Ouk44BEiQAIxaA4qzd0OlUVuyeOas-TTT23Dj9G2OxbN4h64MuODcUdGsaApTQ8P8HAQ
2017-3-12
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12976 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about your loss!

Occasionally DJI do cover losses, there have been a few instances however they were lost out over water or completely inaccessible places. I personally feel your best be here is to try and get it down by any means possible as you can then physically return it to DJI for repair or replacement irrespective of the damage getting it down may cause. Hopefully others may chip in as to why this may be a bad idea but I do think that physically having it will give you better odds with DJI Care (irrespective of its state) than not having it.

Best of Luck!!!
2017-3-12
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

All you need is a chain saw
2017-3-12
Use props
Col-Drone
lvl.2

Canada

Do you have a friend/relative with a very tall step ladder?  Maybe between the step ladder and the retrieval tool listed above, you might be able to retrieve it.  Good luck.

P.S.  You will need a second person handy on the ground to catch the Mavic when it falls.
2017-3-12
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

the drone is way too high to try the "edc retrieval tool"  
was more thinking about https://www.google.be/search?q=b ... w=1726&bih=1095 but will lose arrows in addition !  (and I don't have a bow actually)

I'm feeling bad, what a shame   
2017-3-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Take a 22 cal rifle and a box of shells and shoot the branch below the drone till the branch breaks. This does work, I've done it many times.
2017-3-12
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

https://www.skypixel.com/share/v ... c-adf2-0504ece0e01d

2017-3-12
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

Call a tree removal service that has a bucket and tell them you'll pay them to retrieve it.
2017-3-12
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I know its already been covered, but to be clear, Care Refresh is for pilot error (not warranty issues) and the Mavic must be recovered.  

At minimum, you would best advised to knock that Mavic out of the tree, even if it is destroyed in the process.  You would at least have the recovery and able to use Care Refresh.

However, I suspect there is a better approach where you can recover the Mavic without any further damage.  Tree trimming services may be your best bet if you can get one to the site.  They have the ability to get to all places on a tree.

Best of luck.......
2017-3-12
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

only starting to discover the possibilities to share (very easy) videos from the cache with the DJI4 and skypixels

here is the accident ...  

https://www.skypixel.com/share/v ... 8-bb55-ee723314cfb2

it is horrible  
apparently it wasn't stuck at the first time
2017-3-12
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

start climbing!
2017-3-12
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

It is really high !  and the higher, the thinner are the tree branches ...
2017-3-12
Use props
bigdps
lvl.3
Canada

You only need to climb so far and with a perch or pole with a loop tied at one end, try to lasso the Mavic in it.
2017-3-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

M_str Posted at 2017-3-12 11:02
It is really high !  and the higher, the thinner are the tree branches ...

Teleported , looks like one of your arms is injured, this is what care refresh is for, tough lesson to learn but it's from these we learn the most. Good luck with getting it down..
2017-3-12
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

bigdps Posted at 2017-3-12 11:11
You only need to climb so far and with a perch or pole with a loop tied at one end, try to lasso the Mavic in it.

I used to do rock climbing ... but that's like 10 years ago.  Even at that time, that tree would not have been easy to climb.  Not so many branches, needing a rope since the very ground, ...
2017-3-12
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

Poulan is your friend!    
2017-3-12
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

You can make your own retrival tool out of a heavy Bolt & Nut tied to string . Done it several times in very tall trees . Use a thin lightweight string to throw it near the branch and start jerking . Tree service with bucket is best though . They would probably charge $100 to get it without it falling to the ground .
2017-3-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Find an experienced friend with a Phantom who will help you.  Many drones have been retrieved from roofs, and trees by hooking from above and lifting it out.  Keep a long line on it so the "crane drone" doesn't have to get into the trees.  Careful maneuvering of the hook will possibly allow you to hook the stuck drone and either lift it up and lower it to the ground safely, or at least pull it loose to fall to the ground.  The "damaged arm" appears to have just been folded back.  You can still see it in the partially folded position.
2017-3-12
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Tell the local fire department that your cat is stuck up in a tree.  Maybe they won't notice.  
2017-3-12
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-3-12 12:03
Find an experienced friend with a Phantom who will help you.  Many drones have been retrieved from roofs, and trees by hooking from above and lifting it out.  Keep a long line on it so the "crane drone" doesn't have to get into the trees.  Careful maneuvering of the hook will possibly allow you to hook the stuck drone and either lift it up and lower it to the ground safely, or at least pull it loose to fall to the ground.  The "damaged arm" appears to have just been folded back.  You can still see it in the partially folded position.

Yep, had thought about this idea to ask another drone to go fetch mine ... but I don't know any, and would be worry he got stuck also.
I have sent mails to 2 tree services, will call them tomorrow morning if no answer
2017-3-12
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Find some lengths of pvc pipe, poles or whatever else you can find, string them together with some duct tape and push it out. I'm embarrassed to see this has worked 3 times for me in the past.
2017-3-12
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you get a car anywhere near it, tie a rope as high as you can get it then to the chassis and jerk it real good, good luck however you do it.
2017-3-12
Use props
Hondas3000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5643 ft
Canada

it seems high for you to do anything from the ground.  Your only option is to cut down the tree or at least climb up as high as you can and just cut the top.
2017-3-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Don't forget your local power utility.  I live in a rural area and pay a pretty reasonable price to do antenna work in a bucket.  Also, an equipment rental company should have a tow behind basket that you can rent.  They aren't cheap, but you rent it by the hour or day and take it back.  It's just a trailer mounted basket (think bucket) that you park, setup, and ride it up to do your work.  You run it yourself.
2017-3-12
Use props
Midwest_Blue
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202247 ft
United States

Maybe you can rent these,  20 foot Zip Poles, tape them together, and get a extension ladder. https://www.amazon.com/ZipWall-K ... ;keywords=zip+poles
2017-3-12
Use props
Hondas3000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5643 ft
Canada

Midwest_Blue Posted at 2017-3-12 17:02
Maybe you can rent these,  20 foot Zip Poles, tape them together, and get a extension ladder. https://www.amazon.com/ZipWall-KT20-20-Foot-Spring-Loaded-Barriers/dp/B00004UFZX/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1489366765&sr=8-7&keywords=zip+poles

Not every place have that pole for rent.  But this sling shot is also another option.   Its cheap to purchase and need practice. https://www.amazon.com/Marksman- ... ;keywords=slingshot
2017-3-12
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Hong Kong

Try this method:
2017-3-12
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

chippie Posted at 2017-3-12 09:13
Sorry to hear about your loss!

Occasionally DJI do cover losses, there have been a few instances however they were lost out over water or completely inaccessible places. I personally feel your best be here is to try and get it down by any means possible as you can then physically return it to DJI for repair or replacement irrespective of the damage getting it down may cause. Hopefully others may chip in as to why this may be a bad idea but I do think that physically having it will give you better odds with DJI Care (irrespective of its state) than not having it.

solution: chain saw.  Mail the whole tree/mavic to DJI as evidence so they believe you that it was a crash...
2017-3-12
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Col-Drone Posted at 2017-3-12 09:26
Do you have a friend/relative with a very tall step ladder?  Maybe between the step ladder and the retrieval tool listed above, you might be able to retrieve it.  Good luck.

P.S.  You will need a second person handy on the ground to catch the Mavic when it falls.

This happened to me years ago.  Duct-taped several thin plastic rods together (thin and plastic so it's not heavy when it is 40' long!) and put a hook on the end and nudged the crappp out of it till it fell.  Still have the pole in pieces for the 'next time'.  The other thing I did on another occasion is I tied a small rock (use anything) to the end of 100' of fishing line...then purposefully overshoot the drone ABOVE it.  This will leave the line (you can use twine or nylon) in the tree and across the drone.  You don't have to be accurate.  Then pull the line up/down/back forth-every way you can and mess up the branches.......gets her down perfectly and fast..much better than the rope thing as it takes a lot of time to make it right...

DJI, if you are reading this- a great idea for the next app update is to add an 'emergency shake function'...no laughing, all serious here.  Make the drone cycle it's thrust to each propeller randomly for maybe 2sec at a time or let the user control which prop.  Would be a life saver function in cases like this!!!!!!
2017-3-12
Use props
Just Drone It
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15518 ft
Australia

Try getting a cherry picker or hire a tree climber.
2017-3-12
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

According to people around it is more like 20 m high... if not 25 :/
A tree climber will check this afternoon but not sure it is possible even for him
2017-3-13
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-3-12 21:47
solution: chain saw.  Mail the whole tree/mavic to DJI as evidence so they believe you that it was a crash...

Depending on locality, it may be illegal to saw a tree.
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about that.
If you want to use the DJI Care Refresh to replace the drone, you will need to recover it and send it in.
Hope you will recover it. Keep my finger crossed for you.
DJI Care Refresh does not cover the following:
1) Lost or partially lost aircraft, gimbal or accessories.
2) Stolen, forgotten, or abandoned product.
3) Damage caused by flight under unsuitable conditions.
4) Remote controller, battery of Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 Pro, and modification accessories.
5) Deliberate losses.
6) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the product.
7) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.
8) Replacement requests for damage incurred outside the period of validity.
9) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.
10) Damage resulting from modifications that are not in accordance with manual recommendations, or the use of incompatible batteries and charger.
11) Damage resulting from the use of third party accessories, batteries or software.
You can learn more here : http://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s5
2017-3-13
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

Thanks for all suggestions and answers
I meet a tree climber this afternoon.
If not possible for him, I ll ask a friend next Week end, he is  rock climbing teacher, might help   (but I am afraid it will rain before).
Last butnot least I ll try to find the guy who owns the tree and ask him if heis ok to saw it ...
2017-3-13
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

And actually, 20 m is like 65 feet... so it is quite high :/
2017-3-13
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

. Once home I noticed I might at least have my photos and videos  downloaded in high def from the drone to my tablet but too late for the battery
2017-3-13
Use props
Elnan.do
lvl.2

Norway

Just buy another mavic and use it to rescue the first. Then you have something to fly when its getting serviced.
2017-3-13
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

ah ah, don't want to stuck another one up there ... helping the first
2017-3-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules