Precautions? Inspire 1st flight in over a year of no flying
951 12 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stingray
lvl.1
United States

I bought my Inspire 1 back when it was first released and really enjoyed it. I flew about 5 times when I first got it, however, I haven't flown in over a year and I wanted to know if any experienced users have and recommendations, tips or precautions I should be aware of before I take my first flight with it in over a year? Maintenance, Battery issues, FAA rules and so on.

Thanks
2017-3-12
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you kept the batteries charged at storage level? If not, you may have trouble charging them.
It will probably say it needs a FW update. I would hold off until you see if it works OK w/o it. There are lots of bugs in these updates. I stopped doing them in April and have logged over 300 flights since with no troubles.  Might need to lube the worm gear on the landing gear transformation assembly.
Best advice I have is, once you get it powered up, take it slow. See if there are any 'cramps'.
Best wishes.....

2017-3-12
Use props
stingray
lvl.1
United States

Thank you for the information Aeromirage.
Something I just noticed while I was reviewing the user manual online, I saw there are different propeller locks on the model shown in the manual. I recieved the propeller locks which are more like a clip on lock for the propellers. Was there a more permanent fix for the propellers such as what I'm seeing in the manual? Is it ok to still fly with the propellor locks (clip on type)  that were mailed to me a while back? Thanks for any help.
2017-3-12
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

stingray Posted at 2017-3-12 20:30
Thank you for the information Aeromirage.
Something I just noticed while I was reviewing the user manual online, I saw there are different propeller locks on the model shown in the manual. I recieved the propeller locks which are more like a clip on lock for the propellers. Was there a more permanent fix for the propellers such as what I'm seeing in the manual? Is it ok to still fly with the propellor locks (clip on type)  that were mailed to me a while back? Thanks for any help.

Yes, there are pilots who who swear by and won't use any.thing but the screw on props and clips.  No problem there.
2017-3-13
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

As stated, I would just make sure your batteries are good and do all the rest of the checks to see that all is working good.  Leave the update stuff alone.  It flew before and it will fly again as well.  Go through it like its a new machine for the first time flight.  The I1 are still good machines.
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I concur with the consensus that you should definitely check the status of the batteries before flying. If you plan on staying on older firmware, you shouldn't update the Go app (or if you're on really old firmware, the Pilot app) either to ensure that it stays compatible.
2017-3-13
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

Treat the batteries as completely suspect until they are proven to work correctly.

I would proceed with the first flight (on each battery) being a full charge to zero % hover at a foot or so over a soft surface.  
Completely boring, but expect that they will fail suddenly. Charge them asap afterwards to avoid cell damage.

If/when they work properly you have a reasonable basis for normal flight ops - if they fail then at least you've minimised risk of damage.
2017-3-13
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-13 18:06
Treat the batteries as completely suspect until they are proven to work correctly.

I would proceed with the first flight (on each battery) being a full charge to zero % hover at a foot or so over a soft surface.  

I agree, with a slight exception. I think you can move around a bit, but I wouldn't go far. Also, don't take the batts down to 0%. DJI reccomends going no lower than 8%. If you take them to zero, the software may "brick" them, and they may not come back.
2017-3-14
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
United States

Focus4 Posted at 2017-3-14 12:25
I agree, with a slight exception. I think you can move around a bit, but I wouldn't go far. Also, don't take the batts down to 0%. DJI reccomends going no lower than 8%. If you take them to zero, the software may "brick" them, and they may not come back.

You need to take them further down than 8% for the calibration to work properly.
Certainly don't leave them in that state - charge as soon as possible back up to 100% and fly them down to 50% for storage.
2017-3-14
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-14 16:09
You need to take them further down than 8% for the calibration to work properly.
Certainly don't leave them in that state - charge as soon as possible back up to 100% and fly them down to 50% for storage.

From the Manual:
"How to discharge your Intelligent Flight Battery:
Place the Intelligent Flight Battery into the Battery Compartment and turn it on. Leave it on until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.

Taking the battery much below 8% can permanently damage the battery. You do NOT need to take them to zero.
2017-3-17
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Australia

Focus4 Posted at 2017-3-17 13:07
From the Manual:
Place the Intelligent Flight Battery into the Battery Compartment and turn it on. Leave it on until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.

We all went through this a year ago.
Forget what is in the manual dude - when the calibration goes awry you have to go on voltages and take it further down than 8%.

You certainly don't leave it there for any length of time - recharge asap to 100% to complete the calibration.

I'm still running original TB47 and 48s from March 2015 that are going fine. No issue.
2017-3-17
Use props
Upthedowns
lvl.3
Flight distance : 288353 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Focus4 Posted at 2017-3-17 13:07
From the Manual:

I'm afraid I agree with farnk666.  Remember these batteries have a protection and charging circuit built in.  The percentage shown in the app is not the true charge state but one that leaves a safety reserve charge.  One bit of advice is to ensure the batteries cool down to ambient temperature after being run down in a giver.  I find that the hover doesn't usually finish the job so I plug mine in to top up the charge on my controller too.
2017-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules