783 5 2017-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zeldon50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11634 ft
United States

Hi All-
Been meaning to ask this question for a while. Since we all know that lipo batteries do not like to be stored fully charged, and that the intelligent flight batteries discharge themselves after a user selected length of time.  My question is – what about the remote controller? I believe I read that it contains a lipo battery but I have never seen any mention of it discharging itself.  Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I have been trying to put the remote controller away in a partial state of discharge, thinking it will prolong the life of the battery.  Thanks!
2017-3-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I do not believe there is a self discharge on them, I have used the controller till the charge was around 60 percent before so I could store it for a few weeks.
2017-3-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Most people trust that there's no special maintenance needed for the controller battery.  I ignore mine until it's down to 1 green lamp, then I charge it to full.  
2017-3-15
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

I suspect because the power to weight ratio is not important with the controller DJI would limit its battery charge voltage so that it could be left at "full" charge with much less detrimental effect than the flight batteries which tread a delicate balance between available power, weight and lifespan. There is definitely no self discharge on the controller battery and there would be if its fully charged voltage was similar to the flight battery.

Just to be safe I don't fully charge my controller battery or power tool batteries until just before I use them knowing there is still plenty of charge in a 60% battery to do anything it is asked. If any of my batteries has gone below 30% and I am fairly certain I won't have a big demand on that battery anytime soon I will partially charge it for storage remembering that they should always be given a full charge every now and then for cell balancing especially if the battery is a bit old.
2017-3-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Quamera pretty much hit the nail on the head. The LiPo in the RC does not necessarily need to adhere to the same maintenance as the craft batteries.
2017-3-15
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11634 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-15 20:56
Quamera pretty much hit the nail on the head. The LiPo in the RC does not necessarily need to adhere to the same maintenance as the craft batteries.

Thanks guys!
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules