What's the most reliable firmware version to date?
1302 17 2017-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brenchen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119337 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all, I have had quite a few problems (can't remember them all now) with my P4, one of the most significant is that it can't handle the wind very well (and I am comparing to the mavic).  I have been told that it's because of the firmware which I updated quite a few weeks ago.

I need my P4 to perform reliably on the weekend, so I am wondering which firmware is the most reliable to date?  Is it still possible to roll back to a previous firmware version now?

Thanks.
2017-3-15
Use props
fans5c80eb9a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1334682 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same problem here. So many issues. "Weak Transmission Signal" constantly.  Killing my business
2017-3-15
Use props
brenchen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

I guess if worse comes to worst, I'll have to use my mavic, better than nothing.  But would prefer my P4 though.
2017-3-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

brenchen Posted at 2017-3-15 21:12
I guess if worse comes to worst, I'll have to use my mavic, better than nothing.  But would prefer my P4 though.

The best firmware will quite often be the most recent version.

Hopefully correcting any problems that were present in the previous version.

Yes, you can roll back one firmware version.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-15
Use props
brenchen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-15 21:23

The problem is they created old ones, and introduced new ones.  Sometimes the problems caused by the new bugs are more critical than the ones they fixed.
2017-3-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

brenchen Posted at 2017-3-15 21:37
The problem is they created old ones, and introduced new ones.  Sometimes the problems caused by the new bugs are more critical than the ones they fixed.

Yes, it's important to go slow and stay close for the first while. I like to let my P3P hover for a couple minutes or more just to see how it reacts. ;-)

Give if some quick stick input & watch how it responds.

Then fly off.

RedHotPoker

2017-3-15
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-15 21:23

If it ain't broken don't fix it, IMHO unless there is something in the latest update that you really want and assuming your current version hasn't any faults then the best version is the one you are on.
2017-3-16
Use props
brenchen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-16 00:59
If it ain't broken don't fix it, IMHO unless there is something in the latest update that you really want and assuming your current version hasn't any faults then the best version is the one you are on.

That's a good philosophy to go by and I am learning that the hard way.  That's why I ask this question - if anyone could suggest a version of the firmware that has minimal problems?
2017-3-16
Use props
jwt-873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I'm flying with 01.02.0602, (which I believe is the latest).   I've had no issues with it at all.

You can roll back the firmware using the PC application "DJI Assistant 2".

2017-3-16
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

jwt-873 Posted at 2017-3-16 05:15
I'm flying with 01.02.0602, (which I believe is the latest).   I've had no issues with it at all.

The option to roll back the firmware has been removed from the dji assist program
2017-3-16
Use props
brenchen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

jwt-873 Posted at 2017-3-16 05:15

Well that's what I have now.  On the weekend I took it for a fly to do what I need to.  It still drifts a little randomly.  At least it doesn't hold like my Mavic does.
2017-3-19
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

Another problem I had that Litchi fixed!  I have already seen two other posts tonight that covered a topic that I had dealt with earlier.  My DJI-GO app kept crashing  without any known reason and when I switched to Litchi, it stopped.  I also had the green bands indicating weak signal on the video link and Litchi fixed that also.  The last firmware update I did on DJI GO gave me several problems and I tried to roll it back and really got into a mess.  I finally got it fixed with a lot of help from you guys here.  Shortly after that I switched and have really enjoyed Litchi.  
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-3-19
Use props
SBX8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734442 ft
Germany

I did not want to upgrade in the first place. But then I thought: What the hell, if it doesn't perform properly I always can downgrade.
Guess what, it's crappy!!! And I can't even downgrade again.

So DJI released a new firmware and just removed the downgrade option without telling anyone.
Well done, DJI, well done.
Once again proof of the worse than bad customer support.
2017-3-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

SBX8 Posted at 2017-3-20 12:06
I did not want to upgrade in the first place. But then I thought: What the hell, if it doesn't perform properly I always can downgrade.
Guess what, it's crappy!!! And I can't even downgrade again.

Sorry to hear that. As it hasn't been the experience for every one.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-20
Use props
SBX8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734442 ft
Germany

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-20 13:19
Sorry to hear that. As it hasn't been the experience for every one.

Yeah, that really sucks.
It's because of what many other experienced after updating, that I didn't want to.
If only I had known, that you can't downgrade from this version, I NEVER would have UPDATEd.
2017-3-21
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I've been hesitant to try the possible 'brickware' version 01.02.0602 as the report is "You can't go back if it doesn't take."  Bad form.

I've programmed enough microprocessors in the past to know that sometimes the internal EEPROMs will not take a write or erase correctly a first or second time.  Sometimes another run will break it completely.  I did a flash trigger where you load the micro SD card with a new bin file, put it into the device, turn it on, and nothing!  Black screen forever.  Prior times it worked fine, but the last time it cost me $85 for a new board and it worked.

Even running some testing programs on memory cards can show the differences between the same brand/model where the data stream dips or jumps on one card and smooth on another.  Memory can be very volatile, and not always in a good way.

2017-3-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-21 06:36
I've been hesitant to try the possible 'brickware' version 01.02.0602 as the report is "You can't go back if it doesn't take."  Bad form.

I've programmed enough microprocessors in the past to know that sometimes the internal EEPROMs will not take a write or erase correctly a first or second time.  Sometimes another run will break it completely.  I did a flash trigger where you load the micro SD card with a new bin file, put it into the device, turn it on, and nothing!  Black screen forever.  Prior times it worked fine, but the last time it cost me $85 for a new board and it worked.

Some of those sd cards may be counterfeit as well.  Not performing up to specs would be a key sign.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-21
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

If expect the firmware is read and cached in RAM ready for writing to prom, and checked before the erase cycle so as *shouldn't* be an issue, but then dji don't give us enough info to troubleshoot, a full changelog would be awesome too. The p4 is an amazing device and in the 21st century we shouldn't need to be so wary of updates.
2017-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules