1084 7 2017-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy1963
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40548 ft
United Kingdom

Im unsure I have done the right thing installing this & registering
I have wrote on Altitudes angels FB wall... With no reply as yet ! I just want to know Im not breaking any laws & really where the hell i can fly This drone that i have payed short off 500 GBP,
As if theres no where its a waste of time owning one.  !

I have been doing photography on dartmoor for near on 17 years as a hobby not for paid work just to get out on dartmoor as i live on dartmoor. I know many or all most all danger areas of dartmoor I also check for live firing times before i go out. I thought to my self it would be nice to try & get a different perspective of some of the shots i have done in the past, So i have bought my self a small DJi drone, I'm not looking to go high in the sky its not what i want, I want to take my photos from a bout 20 to 30 ft above a rock or small stream out in the middle of the moor miles away from any one & away from livestock and 30ft in the air if that. I searched the internet being new to this & there's a whole lot of help & advice but many being against using drones. I also looked to see if there was anywhere you could maybe get a hr or two help as a new flyer & the nearest i found was exeter but charging extortionate prices of over a 1,000 pounds for training courses, Surely It would be better to have somewhere people could go for a hr or two to be shown how to control the craft and have a chat about the safety of airspace and safety of flying the drone,, It might get more people thinking its worth £50 to find out more about the item they have just bought, I have recently found out under bylaws on dartmoor i'm not allowed to fly a drone or a hand held (KITE) with out asking first & normally refused, Once again Somewhere like the moor if they had a place where they could say you can fly there & its well away from the roads people & livestock & buildings wouldnt that be better than getting theses people flying there drones in town parks, on parts of dartmoor where you get alot of hikers and livestock. ! I have registered & installed your app to my phone to try and get good knowledge of what im using & know where i want to go is safe & not be a hindrance to anyone or anything. My research on using my drone is still going on trying to find out as much possible to keep within the laws & not endanger anyone.
2017-3-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

You can fly a kite as long as it doesn't disturb anyone!

Not all of Dartmoor falls under those bylaws, only the bits controlled by the National Parks Authority, and it is quite hard to know which bits are and which aren't since a detailed map is hard to find.

In practice, as long as you are not disturbing anyone's peaceful afternoon walk on the moors then there wont be a problem,  I've never known anyone object, many stop to talk about the drone, the worst that can happen is that one of the rangers may ask you to stop flying.  The bylaws were written to stop noisy 2 stroke model aeroplane engines from disturbing the piece for miles around and setting fire to the moor, not to prevent quiet electric drones. You can fly in the danger areas when they are not active, if the red flags are up then definitely no flying.  Always beware of low flying helicopters - don't go too high since it can take some time to get back down.  Don't go too close to the TV mast, don't know why that is not marked restricted on the map - http://notaminfo.com/ukmap  

What drone have you got?

2017-3-17
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-17 09:58
You can fly a kite as long as it doesn't disturb anyone!

Not all of Dartmoor falls under those bylaws, only the bits controlled by the National Parks Authority, and it is quite hard to know which bits are and which aren't since a detailed map is hard to find.

Thanks for the reply Nigel, I have hunted to see if there any maps or anything that would show me thats why i found the altitude angel- drone assist, I thought it would show me on the map of dartmoor all it does is show me the danger areas which i already know about as my father worked for landmark at okehampton army camp since i was a young guy i have always followed his moor rules to keep my self safe, As i have said im not looking to fly silly heights it not what i wanted the drone for, Nor to fly it like a bee round people or animals or built up places. My home is right on dartmoor park under the green bit on the map. I have the DJI 3 standard only had it 2 weeks now & flown it twice, but starting to think did i do the right thing buying it with so much red tape. I shall try to find out what bits of dartmoor dont come under bylaws. Not holding much hope tho.
2017-3-17
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

Andy1963 Posted at 2017-3-17 10:34
Thanks for the reply Nigel, I have hunted to see if there any maps or anything that would show me thats why i found the altitude angel- drone assist, I thought it would show me on the map of dartmoor all it does is show me the danger areas which i already know about as my father worked for landmark at okehampton army camp since i was a young guy i have always followed his moor rules to keep my self safe, As i have said im not looking to fly silly heights it not what i wanted the drone for, Nor to fly it like a bee round people or animals or built up places. My home is right on dartmoor park under the green bit on the map. I have the DJI 3 standard only had it 2 weeks now & flown it twice, but starting to think did i do the right thing buying it with so much red tape. I shall try to find out what bits of dartmoor dont come under bylaws. Not holding much hope tho.

Nigel has given you good advice

It seems you are trying to 'fly safe' - just carry on doing that

If you get there and you don't think it's safe for whatever reason - don't fly

Stick within CAA rules and happy flying
2017-3-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Andy1963 Posted at 2017-3-17 10:34

Private land and access land doesn't come under the byelaw, it is only the common land that is an issue.  National Trust land also doesn't, but they have their own byelaws which they claim also prevents flying, although I was unable to find anything about flying in the actual published byelaws.

If they want to enforce those byelaws then they have to put a sign up to inform people that they exist, so if you see a sign saying "No Flying" then don't fly, otherwise it is up to the rangers/wardens to ask you to stop if they want to.  As long as you are behaving sensibly they are unlikely to mind.  More likely to have issues with the NT than DNP.

Take a copy of the CAA Drone Code with you, if anyone questions if flying is legal then show them the code and explain that you are keeping to all the Civil Aviation Authority rules, the UK airspace is regulated by the CAA and belongs to us all, not to the people who own the land underneath.

You could also print some photos to show people what you are doing, once they understand they wont object.  It is a flying camera, not a weapon of war!
2017-3-17
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-17 11:37
Private land and access land doesn't come under the byelaw, it is only the common land that is an issue.  National Trust land also doesn't, but they have their own byelaws which they claim also prevents flying, although I was unable to find anything about flying in the actual published byelaws.

If they want to enforce those byelaws then they have to put a sign up to inform people that they exist, so if you see a sign saying "No Flying" then don't fly, otherwise it is up to the rangers/wardens to ask you to stop if they want to.  As long as you are behaving sensibly they are unlikely to mind.  More likely to have issues with the NT than DNP.

I cant thank you enough Nigel for your help, I started to think it wasn't worth keeping it, But the more people give me help like this it changes my mind to think i'm not acting like a idiot with it, & keeping it low so got my eye on it all the time. Im a member of the National trust i pay by standing order to them as living here it gives me a fair bit to do & no car parking rates on NT car parks, my money also helps to the Nt to keep the upcare of a lot of places. I have put the code of flying paper that came with my drone in my drone bag i bought now ( great idea). The two places i have been to fly you might see 3 people in a week if your lucky lol. So im going to carry on the way i first thought.
If you get time you can have a look at my flickr page where my pictures are
andrewsweenyphotography.com
2017-3-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Andy1963 Posted at 2017-3-17 12:27
I cant thank you enough Nigel for your help, I started to think it wasn't worth keeping it, But the more people give me help like this it changes my mind to think i'm not acting like a idiot with it, & keeping it low so got my eye on it all the time. Im a member of the National trust i pay by standing order to them as living here it gives me a fair bit to do & no car parking rates on NT car parks, my money also helps to the Nt to keep the upcare of a lot of places. I have put the code of flying paper that came with my drone in my drone bag i bought now ( great idea). The two places i have been to fly you might see 3 people in a week if your lucky lol. So im going to carry on the way i first thought.  
If you get time you can have a look at my flickr page where my pictures are
andrewsweenyphotography.com

Thanks for the link, some interesting photos in there

Stone circles look much better photo'd from above...

Some of my Dartmoor video from the last week:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-89253-1-1.html
2017-3-18
Use props
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi everyone, I've only just got my Spark and haven't flown it yet. Was thinking much the same as  Andy wondering if buying the drone was a waste of money as there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can fly it. Been trying to find out about National Parks bylaws but no joy as yet. I'm near the South Downs National Park and I've emailed a couple of contacts there the day before yesterday. I got a reply about a specific nature reserve that I can't fly my drone there but nothing about the rest of the park. So I'll assume it is OK and fly with the utmost caution and respect for others etc. Such a great community here which is all part of the fun. Cheers, Kat
2017-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules