Color Grading Tips?
2654 8 2017-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans731bf3e7
lvl.2
United States

I've had the Mavic now for about a month.  I have been just using imovie to edit some videos and recently got Davinci Resolve Studio.  It's definitely a lot more complex, but I wanted to get into color grading, so I have been watching some videos on youtube to get some tips. The mavic footage was shot in d-log with the saturation and contrast to a -1.

I followed the tutorial from this video:  

It helped a ton, but after looking at my first edit, I am unsure if something looks a little off. Perhaps some video professionals can give me a few pointers?

Here is my video:

https://goo.gl/photos/Zy7w6rtpVDmSbYJ48

2017-3-17
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Sweden

Nice video. It looks like to much magenta and cyan i the shadows
2017-3-17
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

fansc2962bbc Posted at 2017-3-17 22:21
Nice video. It looks like to much magenta and cyan i the shadows

What does that mean in RGB?
2017-3-17
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Too purple, does Davinci use a color wheel?
Move away from magenta and purple but only a tiny shiftt is required.
Something which often helps with Mavic footage is to 50% desaturate shadows - and sometimes highlights too but not as much.

Ideally calibrate monitor you are using to edit photo and video, however using the RGB scopes tools is usually helpful.
- but bear in mind you aren't always wanting all three colours even - e.g. at sunset red may well dominate.
2017-3-18
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

This was very helpful even though I do not have Davinci. Thanks for posting! Your video looked great too! I'm still learning about color grading and different settings. When I bought a drone I had no idea how much I would need to learn about photography.
2017-3-18
Use props
fans731bf3e7
lvl.2
United States

Thank-you all for the advice.  I've attempted to re-edit the footage and did a split screen with the original footage on the left and the color graded footage on the right.  I tried to de-saturate the shadows and reduce the magenta as well. Now i'm not sure if the grading is too subtle. Any thoughts?

2017-3-18
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Colours are very good now but sky looks a bit freaky - did you add a grad to darken and saturate it more - if so drop opacity on that down quite a bit but it's a useful tool which can dramatically improe a lot of scenes.
There's also what looks like un-needed noise reduction smoothing not sure if that was there before you started.
Mavic is a bit prone to recording like that at times,, see other threads.
2017-3-18
Use props
fans731bf3e7
lvl.2
United States

Yes, there was a gradient added.  I'll drop the opacity.  I don't think I did anything with noise reduction smoothing.  I'll research it a bit.  Thanks again for your help!
2017-3-18
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

It takes quite a bit of time to learn, also you can just be creative with color correction to generate your own look and feel.  For example on winter shots I do , I bring down the temp into th blues to create  a cold look.  Anyhow keep it up, just make sure your not crushing over or under exposure and watch how much saturation you use.  Also look at other tutorials on premier pro, read up on proper white balance  techniques.
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules