FAA Rules, Always in Class B airspace
1118 2 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kylo Ren
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5453 ft
United States

Does anyone know if there is a way to request authorization to fly in a class B airspace for an extended period of time? I live in an aera where I would have to drive a couple of hours to get out of the airspace, which means, I have to request authorization everytime I have a job. Is there a way to get authorization for months at a time?

2017-3-18
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I live in an aera where I would have to drive a couple of hours to get out of the airspace, which means, I have to request authorization everytime I have a job

So if I understand correctly, you're "flying for business" (professionally), correct? You didn't mention it, but I'm assuming that you already know that you need to be 107 certified to fly professionally in the U.S.

Does anyone know if there is a way to request authorization to fly in a class B airspace for an extended period of time? . . . Is there a way to get authorization for months at a time?

Yes, there is such a process. You'll want to apply for an exemption from §107.41 ("Operation in certain airspace") and the application and information on submitting it can be found here. You can request an exemption for up to 4 years, so assuming that they grant your exemption you'd be good to go for some time.

Before you bother, though, I'd refer to the appropriate sectional chart to make sure it really is class B airspace and not class G, because I've found that the DJI Go app sometimes misidentifies the airspace. More specifically, at least some of the time it doesn't seem to take into account the floor (when one exists) associated with a given ring and may prompt you to confirm that you're authorized to fly in what it thinks is class B airspace even when you're really in class G.
2017-3-18
Use props
Kylo Ren
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5453 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-18 12:53
I live in an aera where I would have to drive a couple of hours to get out of the airspace, which means, I have to request authorization everytime I have a job

So if I understand correctly, you're "flying for business" (professionally), correct? You didn't mention it, but I'm assuming that you already know that you need to be 107 certified to fly professionally in the U.S.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes it would be for work, I recently received my FAA sUAS certification. I use skyvector.com to see that it is in Class B everywhere I want to go LOL. I am going to check out your link right now.

Thank you again.
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules