Android App disconnection: How to review app logs?
912 9 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Hello Mavic Community -

I'm glad to be a part of it. My mavic is a fantasic device; with questionable android software. I get disconnections frequently - it's very frustating (punching kittens seems more enjoyable). The cause of the disconnections is a mystery - there is no UI queues providing the cause of the disconnection. I feel like it's wasted battery time to resolve an issue that shouldn't need resolving.

Here are my general states with the DJI Go 4 app (ver 4.0.5 at the time)
1. App disconnection; controller can still control the navigate the craft. The app tells me the RC is disconnected.
2. App disconnection; controller disconnection. The controller still thinks it's connected for about 30 seconds to a minute before it attempts to reconnect.
3. App disconnection / controller disconnection - cannot reconnect to save my life. Thankfully RTH. Thank you RTH. Best feature ever.
4. App Crashes - controller is still connected - and I lost my mavic flight data. Grr.

I've never had the controller disconnect and the app stay open. I assume this wouldn't be possible anyhow :-)

My attempts to fix it:
1. Keep the app going, reconnect the micro usb cable - I don't think this ever worked.
2. Stop the app. reconnect the micro usb. App restarts - Hardly ever works.
3. Stop the app, recycle the controller with the USB plugged in. This generally works. Sometimes takes a few times to get it.
   3a. If the mavic is close, I'll recycle the power on it as well. This usually corrects it.
4. Reset all the data in the app. Generally works.
5. Re-install the app - always works, at least the first time.

Note:
- I've used two different micro usb cables, and a normal USB cable. It doesn't matter - I encounter all of those states listed.
- The logs seem to be in binary, not sure how to parse them.

Hardware Details
1. 1 freakin' awesome mavic
2. Samsung S7 (no apps generally running at the time). Nougat. Factory settings - with all that nonsense verizon and samsung install.

Note: I've reached out to support and here are the answers I get:
Support: ReInstall the app        MyComment: I shouldn't have to reinstall the app to get it to keep working. Please fix your bug.
Support: Format the SD Card.   MyComment: It's like when the tech asks you, if your computer is on for a software issue.
Support: Use a different USB cable. MyComment: Good suggestion, did that.

My ask is, please
1. provide us a app log viewer - or more insights in to why the app has disconnections.
2. A report feature on the app to help us help you determine the cause of the instability
3. A fix.

Side note: I was ready to pick up an inspire 2, but after two weeks of playing with the mavic I'm not confident that the app problems will be suitable for that type of money.
2017-3-18
Use props
Chuck1026
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1213816 ft
  • >>>
United States

Right there with you! It was pretty frustrating on my first flight yesterday... I lost the app and it was un-nerving. All of my Android devices are running 7.something N!
2017-3-19
Use props
fans3d582e1d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24839 ft
Australia

What annoys me is that the iOS App's current version:

What's New in Version 4.0.6
Inspire 2:
-Fixed display for gimbal settings on “Slave” remote controller.

Editor:
-Optimized video editing experience (excluding videos in 16:9 resolution).

General:
-Fixed bugs causing occasional crashes.
-Fixed bugs causing erroneous “Growth of Value” display for some user accounts.
-Added “Check for Update” feature in General Settings
2017-3-19
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Hi Intruder,
First I like to say Punching Kittens Seems More Enjoyable --- Funny Chit -- I Chit my Pants lololollll
OK I sorry to tell you this but any one using Android 7Nugaut is experiencing GO4 app crashing
I have not heard of one 7Nugaut with GO4 app that works without crashing yet.
I've been using Android and Apple devices for the Latest GO4 app , last night I used my Nvidia K1 Shield Tablet with Android v6.0.1 for the first time with GO4 v4.0.5 and flew 20 mins without GO4 App CRASHING ----Tested again today flying for over 2 hrs. with GO4 v4.0.5 and K1 Shield with Android v6.0.1 ----
Guess what ???   NO GO4 APP CRASHING not even a flicker Totally SOLID Running
B4 I had 7Nugaut on my K1 I down graded due to a friend telling me that its not that stable and has some bugs. Thanks again DJI- Ken
DJI- Ken Runs a K1 also , I asked him his Android version and I downgraded to it, the rest is Clear Sailing
or should I say Clear Flying for now
P.S.  I'm not saying this is going to work 100% with your Samsung But it may !! I hope this info helped .
2017-3-19
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-19 09:59
Hi Intruder,
First I like to say Punching Kittens Seems More Enjoyable --- Funny Chit -- I Chit my Pants lololollll
OK I sorry to tell you this but any one using Android 7Nugaut is experiencing GO4 app crashing

@SkunkWerxs - Ah, Thanks for the pointer. I'll see if I can downgrade my S7 to 6.0. Since it's not rooted, it might be a challenge

I'm almost tempted to use my daughter's iphone6 to try it out - to see how it works - even though I generally dislike apple products.
2017-3-19
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

From your last sentance,   "was going to buy a Inspire 2"   so was i,  but like you , i cant trust the App,  i can barely trust it on a mavic so i sure as hell am not going to even try flying an inspire 2 with it !   i still have my inspire 1 with locked firmware from last summer, and the tablet is locked away from internet so it isnt going to try updating.  it has flown without error for many flight, but  until DJI take a turn for the better writting software and firmware i will not buy another DJI product ! .  (even though the feature list is brilliant,  the crafts capability is brilliant)  i would like to see DJI come away from using phones and tablets, as they just arent up to being solid enough to fly aircraft with.
2017-3-19
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-3-19 11:19
@SkunkWerxs - Ah, Thanks for the pointer. I'll see if I can downgrade my S7 to 6.0. Since it's not rooted, it might be a challenge

I'm almost tempted to use my daughter's iphone6 to try it out - to see how it works - even though I generally dislike apple products.

Intruder ,

Your S7 does not have to be Rooted.
If you do a search and checkout Youtube Vids on how to downgrade Android
Remember I'm using a Nvidia Tablet I think Phones my be a little different I'm not 100% sure though
As far as your daughters iphone 6 ask to use it -- You probably paid for it anyway lololollll
2017-3-19
Use props
DownUnderDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450472 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I get this alot and the quick way I can get mine reconnected whilst I'm flying is to pull out the USB cable from the side of the controller and plug it back in again. Works for me every time until DJI get this sorted. Happens with both IOS and Android
2017-3-19
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-19 13:17
Intruder ,

Your S7 does not have to be Rooted.

hahah. I'll check to see if I could downgrade it thanks for the pointer.

As for my little one, I'll have to ask nicely, she did save up for it with her allowance for months.
2017-3-19
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

DownUnderDrones Posted at 2017-3-19 13:55
I get this alot and the quick way I can get mine reconnected whilst I'm flying is to pull out the USB cable from the side of the controller and plug it back in again. Works for me every time until DJI get this sorted. Happens with both IOS and Android

Hmm, I've tried this multiple times to no avail. Glad it does work for you.
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules