Long Exposure
1200 9 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I'm not a really a photo guy, and I don't do much long exposure - but I actually liked this one. The shot is of a normally busy center - but now it's quite.

Mavic, Windy night (15 mp/h or 6.5 m/s), 100 ISO, 4 second exposure (the ev seemed to be auto controlled ...). Any tips for coloring would be more than welcome.

4" exposure

4" exposure
2017-3-18
Use props
Irmantast
lvl.2
Norway

Nice! How can you adjust exposure in seconds on mavic?
2017-3-19
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112169 ft
Netherlands

Irmantast Posted at 2017-3-19 01:33
Nice! How can you adjust exposure in seconds on mavic?

When in photo mode (white shutter button) click the settings icon (the 3 lines that look like sliders below the shutter button in DJI GO 4 app). There click on the first icon in the top (the diaphragm, the circle) and choose M instead of AUTO. Then you can slide the shutter time in the app, or the right wheel on the controller to choose the desired shutter speed.
2017-3-19
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.3
Netherlands

The EV cannot not be changed in M (manual) mode, since that will now only show you if the photo will be (too) dark or (too) bright (according to the camera's opinion) depending on the chosen ISO and Shutter speed.

As for tips to enhance the image: shoot in RAW (camera settings, second icon (the camera) and choose the image format). Enhancements I often make, which will also work fine in images like this:
boost contrast
lower highlights
brighten shadows (not too much in this photo, for it might increase noise and make dark parts too bright)
up with the whites and down with the blacks (not too much. Increasing contrast will slightly be undone by what you did to the highlights and shadows, so doing this will bring that back)
optional: increase clarity and vibrance a bit

For every setting: check what suits you best. It may help to first drag all the sliders roughly to what you think works, then compare to the original and adjust individual settings until you're happy.
2017-3-19
Use props
Irmantast
lvl.2
Norway

Thanks!!
2017-3-19
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

dirkjan82 Posted at 2017-3-19 03:23
The EV cannot not be changed in M (manual) mode, since that will now only show you if the photo will be (too) dark or (too) bright (according to the camera's opinion) depending on the chosen ISO and Shutter speed.

As for tips to enhance the image: shoot in RAW (camera settings, second icon (the camera) and choose the image format). Enhancements I often make, which will also work fine in images like this:

Thanks for the response. Ahh, I forgot about RAW (I just had to read up on the benefits; and why it would make sense in this scenario).

Any recommendations on photo software? I've been using Paint.NET and PS express (free) :-)
2017-3-19
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.3
Netherlands

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-3-19 11:07
Thanks for the response. Ahh, I forgot about RAW (I just had to read up on the benefits; and why it would make sense in this scenario).

Any recommendations on photo software? I've been using Paint.NET and PS express (free) :-)

I use Lightroom 6. But that's paid software which you can get as a stand-alone version, or in a subscription with Photoshop CC. As for free software I'd have a look into some open source stuff. If you use a Mac, then the free Photos app work very well, especially since you get add more tools to the "Adjust" menu. Tools which are not shown by default, but can add a lot.
2017-3-19
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.3
Netherlands

I've taken the liberty of quickly copying your photo from the forum to my Mac, and adjusted a few things in Lightroom. Mine is in Dutch, but the things I've changed from top to bottom are:
Contrast
Highlights (Hooglichten)
Shadows (Schaduwen)
Whites (Witte tinten)
Blacks (Zwarte tinten)
Clarity (Helderheid)
Vibrance (Levendigheid)

As you can see it clearly lowers the lights which are very bright, especially at the round building at the top-center, as well as the bright street leading to that building. And it brings back some more details in darker areas and the other streets, bringing more balance to the lighting in the image.
Lights.jpg
2017-3-19
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

dirkjan82 Posted at 2017-3-19 14:07
I've taken the liberty of quickly copying your photo from the forum to my Mac, and adjusted a few things in Lightroom. Mine is in Dutch, but the things I've changed from top to bottom are:
Contrast
Highlights (Hooglichten)

If I could upvote this more than once, I would. +1000. You made the trail of lights from the cars really 'pop' in the photo. Thanks for the pointers (and real example!)

2017-3-19
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.3
Netherlands

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-3-19 20:11
If I could upvote this more than once, I would. +1000. You made the trail of lights from the cars really 'pop' in the photo. Thanks for the pointers (and real example!)

You're welcome. Today I woke up, realizing I did give you some feedback on how to enhance the photo, which is what you asked for. But I didn't tell you what I like about the image.
The exposure has been done very well. A slower shuttertime would've brought more detail to darker areas, but would've over-exposed the lights. A faster shutterspeed would've done the opposite.
The composition is very, very nice. The bright street does guide the viewer to the lit up, round building near the top.The the colors and things on the sides bring context into the image. Nicely done!

I've only got my Mavic for a few days now, and haven't dared flying in the dark yet.Plus the weather is just really bad the last few days (wind and rain). Plus, local law here says you can only fly during the daytime. But maybe some time in the future...
2017-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules