Follow me Mode / Weak GPS
5750 20 2017-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Khwh111
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8658 ft
United States

So, I have been struggling with this issue for a couple of weaks now to no avails. I tried the feature using an IPAD and using an IPHONE7 to no avail.  I have tried in several places including an open lake and I keep getting the message Weak GPS signal.  Other smart flight modes work just fine, except the followme mode.  

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this?

Regards,
2017-3-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The weak GPS message is referring to the GPS in your phone or tablet. It is a loose term and can actually mean NO GPS. The follow me mode uses the GPS receiver in your phone or tablet to tell the aircraft where you are so it can follow you. Is your iPAD a cellular equipped tablet? Because unless it is a cellular versaion, it will not have a GPS receiver fitted.

Then you have the problem that the GPS receiver in phones and tablets are not very good. Often they need cellular access to get a decent positional fix. If you are really serious about using follow me, then you would be better off getting a decent GPS receiver like a Garmin handheld. They feature a far better GPS receiver than any phone.

2017-3-27
Use props
Rabe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 967907 ft
Germany

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-27 19:10
The weak GPS message is referring to the GPS in your phone or tablet. It is a loose term and can actually mean NO GPS. The follow me mode uses the GPS receiver in your phone or tablet to tell the aircraft where you are so it can follow you. Is your iPAD a cellular equipped tablet? Because unless it is a cellular versaion, it will not have a GPS receiver fitted.

Then you have the problem that the GPS receiver in phones and tablets are not very good. Often they need cellular access to get a decent positional fix. If you are really serious about using follow me, then you would be better off getting a decent GPS receiver like a Garmin handheld. They feature a far better GPS receiver than any phone.

That is right. With my cheap tablet I can use all functions except follow me. There I get the message: weak GPS.

In the same situation with my sony expire z I get an other issue. Compass error in the AC and red status lights. But yesterday it worked for the first time: In the third attempt my P3S followed me over 2 kilometers.
2017-3-27
Use props
Khwh111
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the detailed note.

I really don't get how the latest iPhone doesn't have a good enough GPS. It seems like others are using iPhones and iPads successfully for the same mode. Also, I know that  my IPhone gps works well since I've used it everywhere. And it can tell my position within inches
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Khwh111 Posted at 2017-3-28 12:59

I really don't get how the latest iPhone doesn't have a good enough GPS. It seems like others are using iPhones and iPads successfully for the same mode. Also, I know that  my IPhone gps works well since I've used it everywhere. And it can tell my position within inches

Are the phone's permissions allowing the GO app to use your GPS?
2017-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Khwh111 Posted at 2017-3-28 12:59

The GPS receivers in phones are not great, they rely heavily on the cellular network to tell them roughly where they are, so if you don't have a cell plan for your device, you are not even going to get started.
2017-3-28
Use props
Khwh111
lvl.1
United States

I do have cell plan with data (it's my main phone) and I've turned location permission on
2017-3-28
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249590 ft
United States

I still say its the app.  App version 2.9 follow me worked flawlessly.  Every update after that never worked all the time.  I refuse to believe its the devise and not the app.
2017-3-28
Use props
Khwh111
lvl.1
United States

I agree! It's the app. People used the follow me function with older phones and it worked till they pushed the app update.
2017-3-28
Use props
pilifida23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1254659 ft
Romania

It's the application. Or maybe the quad. I;ve seen that when the drone has less than 9-10 sattelites connected, it will not start FOLLOW ME. U cannot say that it's because of the phone's gps signal when all other positioning applications are working just PEREFCT. And believe me, high-end phones gps receivers are just enough for normal people. I've been using my phone 's gps in hiking equiped only with google maps without a single problem ever (except for battery drain).
2017-3-29
Use props
Khwh111
lvl.1
United States

It must be the quad or the app. It shows that I'm connected to 7 satellites but says weak signal when we I try the follow me mode. My iPhone 7 gps is working just fine. It's able to show which room I'm in inside my house.
2017-3-29
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

It's definitely the app. It's doing it in. Y new Mavic, a,so for dynamic homepoint and a ap4 that it previously worked fine in. 6+, 7+, 5s, 6 and iPad pro lte activated cell used.
2017-3-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Khwh111 Posted at 2017-3-29 03:59
It must be the quad or the app. It shows that I'm connected to 7 satellites but says weak signal when we I try the follow me mode. My iPhone 7 gps is working just fine. It's able to show which room I'm in inside my house.

It has nothing to do with the app. The app is reporting the number of satellites the aircraft is seeing, not the phone or tablet.
2017-3-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Khwh111 Posted at 2017-3-29 03:59

It's not the app at all and it probably means NO GPS signal rather than a weak signal.
You need to properly check your phone's settings to get GPS enabled rather than getting a location from wifi or cell towers.
2017-3-30
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-30 05:09
It's not the app at all and it probably means NO GPS signal rather than a weak signal.
You need to properly check your phone's settings to get GPS enabled rather than getting a location from wifi or cell towers.

I've had my P3S since September last year and never changed a setting on my phone, but have gone through many app updates.  2.9 worked perfectly.  Then the next update it didn't then did then didn't.  Again i think its the app.
2017-3-31
Use props
Khwh111
lvl.1
United States

I have a feeling that those who are defending the app / drone are DJI employees. I chatted with their customer service who kept repeating the same thing over and over despite telling him that my phone has full GPS and cell signal. He finally wore me out.
2017-4-5
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

If you really need the Follow Me feature, buy the $29 GPS add on to the RC. No point complaining. DJI will not move on insisting on a super high quality GPS signal before it will read smart device output. Some people can get the feature to work but I for sure can't with iDevices. Small issue overall, don't sweat it. Enjoy flying.
2017-4-5
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

follow me worked for the first time ever AFTER Go App updated to version  3.1.4  ( android)  , NEVER worked with  3.1.1 , 3.1.2 . 3.1.3 ,   DEFINITELY APP ISSUE ,  not reading phone's gps
2017-4-6
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
United States

I flew last weekend and decided to try the follow me and for it worked.  Same place as before, same situation, same weather, same everything except for an Go App update.  You guys still think its the device?
2017-4-9
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8477969 ft
United States

Ive had issues with the dji app not recognizing my device gps but litchi app had no issue...
2017-4-14
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

When you click your maps on the bottom left of your screen, the click on the center location if location is off turn it on

That helped me!!
2017-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules