Drone crashed, need data analysis
2394 24 2017-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
suboost
lvl.1

United States

I'm just posting this as a warning to those out there thinking of buying any DJI product, especially a Mavic Pro. Let me first say that I understand some people out there have had no problems with their Mavic Pros and that's great for them. I read and watched tons of videos about some of the problems, but I decided I wanted one anyway.

After spending 4 days trying to get it to work it eventually went nuts and crashed.
I'm a very technical person and have flown many drones in the last few years. There was clearly some type of internal problem where the controller couldn't keep a connection with the Mavic.

Sometimes it would go up for a minute and then it would just lose connection and I couldn't do anything. I tried every single solution I couldn find online and recailbrated every setting numerous times.

Finally the day it crashed I got it up in the air, then out of nowhere it just took off maybe 100 feet into the air without any buttons being pressed. After hitting every single button over and over again just trying to regain some type of control it finally tried to Return to Home, hit tree and crashed on the road.

I was really over it at that point and sick of dealing with a clearly defective product, I'm just glad it didn't do this over water.

The return was declined due to the use of the RTH button even though I explained and you can see in the flight log that I hit tons of buttons that did nothing before that.
I called DJI and after a 2 hour hold finally got someone who said they would look into it and email me back with a decision.
4 days later and no email.
I called again on hold for 30 minutes or so this time and they said they had no record of anyone scheduled to contact me back or look into the matter and no notes on the account.
This person then said they would have a supervisor call me back the next day. Guess what? No call ever came.

I called again and finally just gave up, because they have no intention of taking responsibility for a defective product. They obviously know this is a problem, but have no intention of fixing it.

For $1000 I thought the company must have pretty good customer service, but it's honestly the worst I've ever experienced. I'm disputing the charges with my credit card and I will never buy another DJI product again. I can't wait for other companies to start making drones so I can finally get one.

If you do have a problem with your drone they absolutely will not help you. It was obvious with each phone call that the representative wasn't paying attention and had no intention of looking into the problem. One of them even told me they couldn't argue with me about the dispute because they didn't have the flight record in front of them. When I asked them to get it, they said a different department handles that and I can't speak to that department. Amazing
2017-4-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

After spending 4 days trying to get it to work it eventually went nuts and crashed.

Personally I'd have contacted DJI as soon as I became convinced it was defective. Flying it for four days and then contacting them only after it crashed may have made them more inclined to dismiss it as pilot error.

There was clearly some type of internal problem where the controller couldn't keep a connection with the Mavic.

That may be. There are a number of other people who've reported the same type of thing.

you can see in the flight log that I hit tons of buttons that did nothing

Can you upload the log data from that last flight using the instructions here and provide a link?

For $1000 I thought the company must have pretty good customer service, but it's honestly the worst I've ever experienced.

Let's just say that you aren't the first person to create a new thread with a title like this one, but you did come to the right place. The DJI employees who are active on this forum always seem to be very willing and (usually) able to help with cases like yours, and I'm sure you'll hear from one of them before too long.

I'm disputing the charges with my credit card and I will never buy another DJI product again.

I don't imagine that's going to help. The credit card company will probably tell you to work it out with the merchant, which I'm guessing is DJI.

I can't wait for other companies to start making drones so I can finally get one.

Well, other companies do make drones. If you mean drones that offer roughly the same value as those of DJI, you may be in for a bit of a wait.

P.S. I'm guessing that you didn't pay for Care Refresh, but for future reference I'd recommend that any new Mavic owner consider it and / or a personal articles ("drone") policy from State Farm when that option is available.
2017-4-8
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I hear GoPro is making a drone .
2017-4-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A lot of what you say is very vague, so hard to know what really happened, when you say did all calibrations many times over, why ? Calibration for lack of radio signal makes no sense, you would know this if you have flown drones for many years.
You will find very few AC will just fly off 100 feet for no reason.

We can't see anything in your logs because you didn't upload them.
2017-4-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

That must have been frustrating for you.
Could you please provide me with the email address or phone number you used to contact us?
I will forward this concern to the appropriate department.
2017-4-8
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

Ok here's the flight log:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8G9P4AIA3S3E3Z21OPQT/

Thanks to everyone who replied. Again you'll see a lot of buttons pressed, but most of that has to do with not being able to get any of the buttons working. The sensors were also going on and off each time we tried to fly. I thought the return to home button wouldn't run into things, but again even if it does I wasn't trying to use the RTH function. I just hit a ton of buttons after a while, because it was flying all over the place on it's own and the joysticks weren't working AT ALL.

When I say calibrated, I meant the compass. It's been about a month now, so sorry I wasn't super specific. I understand that wouldn't lead directly to lack of connection, but we were having all kinds of problems, so I tried every solution I could find online to fix it.

The email address and phone number are:
dmxprime@hotmail.com and 804.898.0309

I actually received the Mavic Pro in the mail today, with a shipping date that was after I spoke with DJI and they told me they'd look into the matter for additional diagnosis. Clearly they had no plan to "look into it".

The only thing really wrong with it is 2 propellers broke and the battery got scratched up.
2017-4-10
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

Also, I would even take a refurb at this point. I simply don't trust that this unit is ok. I'm worried about flying it over water one day and it just goes nuts. It seems like about 1 out of every 50 of these things or more are just defective. I just wish DJI would own up to it and admit that there's a problem.

I do agree I should have contacted them before it crashed, but considering my average hold time was over an hour I thought I could just figure it out myself. I truly tried every solution I could find on the forums and when it finally did take off I thought I was good to go.
2017-4-10
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

Another note is that it appears to be inside of my home on the map, but we were on the front porch. I just wanted to clarify that. We would have been in a field or something if we actually thought it was going to take off, but it was cold that day and we didn't want to spend another hour in the cold just trying to get it connected. We didn't know it was going to take off like it did.
2017-4-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

suboost Posted at 2017-4-10 20:45
Ok here's the flight log:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8G9P4AIA3S3E3Z21OPQT/

I have checked your case and sent a request to designated team to review your flight data.
We will keep you updated as soon as possible.
2017-4-10
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

Hi any update on this Mindy? I'd love to get it back this week if possible. Thanks
2017-4-18
Use props
fansebe7d662
lvl.2
United States

Look Im not judging but if it was me and I had Issues connecting to control after trying twice after following the manual.  I would have return or exchange it before the crash.  People that have any issues with the drone just send it back. If you bought it from Neweggs or Amazon first 30 days no question asked they just exchange it.
My suggestion if anyone is buying a Mavic pro go thru a distributor that will exchange or refund your money.
2017-4-20
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

fansebe7d662 Posted at 2017-4-20 09:40
Look Im not judging but if it was me and I had Issues connecting to control after trying twice after following the manual.  I would have return or exchange it before the crash.  People that have any issues with the drone just send it back. If you bought it from Neweggs or Amazon first 30 days no question asked they just exchange it.
My suggestion if anyone is buying a Mavic pro go thru a distributor that will exchange or refund your money.

That's definitely a good idea. I just figured I was doing something wrong or it would get figured out, but I should have just returned it right away.
2017-4-20
Use props
Mojito
lvl.2
United States

I can Understand that,  WHen I got My DJI the shipping box was fine but the DJI box had a dent on the side and one of the stickers was dirty I quickly called DJI  I had purchased from DJI direct shipped from Atlanta I did not feel confortable that it was a new one.. They assured me it was, I  have flown it a couple of weeks now with no issues always keeping an Eye on the controller reception bar.  Trying each app one at a time still have many to go.  Been flying to get the feel of it flying toward me and away.  Practice ,practice , but there has been disconnect issues. So I refuse to do update software till I'm sure all kinks are fixed.  First go to you tube and look up crashes and learn from others mistakes. Just My thought.
I think many people crashes are legit but there are many more who out of there own mistake want to blame DJI and cant afford to get it fix and make up stories. Ruins it for the rest legit problems.
2017-4-20
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

From the log, it looks the Mavic acquired a home position which was later reset.  Curious if you may have reset the home position based on the RC (cellular) GPS?  The GPS mismatch error is one I haven't seen before.  Just speculating that you may have updated the home position while you cellphone didn't have a good GPS lock.  That might happen if you were under a porch.  Also, the log doesn't show any IMU or VPS altitude over about 25 feet.

Although the log shows adequate GPS satellites (most of the time), It seems likely that the GPS position got mucked early into your flight.
2017-4-20
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

So I got the invoice and they're trying to charge $200 to fix the flight controller board. I think this was probably what was damaged before. I tried to call, but after being on hold for 45 minutes I had to get off. I would appreciate a call from someone again tomorrow morning to discuss.
2017-4-20
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-20 13:00
From the log, it looks the Mavic acquired a home position which was later reset.  Curious if you may have reset the home position based on the RC (cellular) GPS?  The GPS mismatch error is one I haven't seen before.  Just speculating that you may have updated the home position while you cellphone didn't have a good GPS lock.  That might happen if you were under a porch.  Also, the log doesn't show any IMU or VPS altitude over about 25 feet.

Although the log shows adequate GPS satellites (most of the time), It seems likely that the GPS position got mucked early into your flight.

To be honest I don't know what reset the gps or the home position. Basically it was unresponsive to any buttons for about a minute, so I started pressing a lot of buttons like return to home, etc to try to get something to work.
2017-4-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

suboost Posted at 2017-4-20 15:35
So I got the invoice and they're trying to charge $200 to fix the flight controller board. I think this was probably what was damaged before. I tried to call, but after being on hold for 45 minutes I had to get off. I would appreciate a call from someone again tomorrow morning to discuss.

You might double-check the invoice and make sure they really do plan to charge you, because it's hard to see how a flight controller board problem could be anything other than a warranty repair. Their invoices can be a little confusing because even when it's a warranty repair they list the repair "cost" -- but then they show a deduction of the same amount below it due to it being a warranty repair.

On the other hand, if they really are trying to charge you for it, you should ask one of the DJI employees here to double-check on it, since a flight controller board doesn't seem like something you could damage yourself. And if nothing else, you should tell them that you want them to diagnose the cause of your original crash, because if that's what damaged the board and that crash was caused by a product defect then you shouldn't now be having to pay for a repair.
2017-4-22
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-22 06:53
You might double-check the invoice and make sure they really do plan to charge you, because it's hard to see how a flight controller board problem could be anything other than a warranty repair. Their invoices can be a little confusing because even when it's a warranty repair they list the repair "cost" -- but then they show a deduction of the same amount below it due to it being a warranty repair.

On the other hand, if they really are trying to charge you for it, you should ask one of the DJI employees here to double-check on it, since a flight controller board doesn't seem like something you could damage yourself. And if nothing else, you should tell them that you want them to diagnose the cause of your original crash, because if that's what damaged the board and that crash was caused by a product defect then you shouldn't now be having to pay for a repair.

Ok I'll double check that. I'm going to call them again tomorrow and see if I can get an answer. Very frustrating experience, but thanks for the reply.
2017-4-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

suboost Posted at 2017-4-23 09:57
Ok I'll double check that. I'm going to call them again tomorrow and see if I can get an answer. Very frustrating experience, but thanks for the reply.

Sorry for my late reply and I have replied to your PM.
I have sent your request to our management and we will keep you updated as soon as possible.
2017-4-24
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

Please have them call again. I called back 3 days ago and was told someone would call me back and no one has. Are they literally lying to me each time they tell me they'll have someone call me back?
2017-4-29
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just so you know, your not alone.  Brand new Mavic auto landed in the ocean.  Flight logs confirmed it reset its "Home Point" after DJI GO 4 app crashed on Samsung Galaxy S8.  Reconnection with the DJI GO 4 app created a new Home Point directly over the ocean.  No control on auto land, no idea what caused all the "autonomous schizophrenia" with the Mavic.  Only had it 3 weeks and it never flew reliably with the DJI Go 4 app for Android.  Were you using an iOS or Android device?
2017-4-29
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-4-29 08:40
Just so you know, your not alone.  Brand new Mavic auto landed in the ocean.  Flight logs confirmed it reset its "Home Point" after DJI GO 4 app crashed on Samsung Galaxy S8.  Reconnection with the DJI GO 4 app created a new Home Point directly over the ocean.  No control on auto land, no idea what caused all the "autonomous schizophrenia" with the Mavic.  Only had it 3 weeks and it never flew reliably with the DJI Go 4 app for Android.  Were you using an iOS or Android device?

It was Android. That really sucks man. I thought the same thing about what if it was over water. I would just be out $1000. The worst part is they keep telling me they're going to have someone call me to review the flight log and no one ever calls. So they keep sending reminders about the repair, but won't call me to discuss it. I've never experienced customer service this bad.
2017-5-3
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

suboost Posted at 2017-5-3 21:47
It was Android. That really sucks man. I thought the same thing about what if it was over water. I would just be out $1000. The worst part is they keep telling me they're going to have someone call me to review the flight log and no one ever calls. So they keep sending reminders about the repair, but won't call me to discuss it. I've never experienced customer service this bad.

Well, after synching my flight logs almost two weeks ago, today, I get an email asking me to send DJI the flight logs again, but, manually uploaded from my device.  I'm happy that DJI is obviously looking into my warranty claim, though, waiting this long to ask me to upload the very files I was told to synch over a week ago seems redundant and /or something that could have been done immediately when I was told to synch the files via DJI GO 4 app.  I tried to call support today, went from 21st caller to #5 only to be disconnected.  Called back, I was #32!  Haha,, the Zen Desk is appropriately named.
2017-5-3
Use props
suboost
lvl.1

United States

BengalBoy Posted at 2017-5-3 23:52
Well, after synching my flight logs almost two weeks ago, today, I get an email asking me to send DJI the flight logs again, but, manually uploaded from my device.  I'm happy that DJI is obviously looking into my warranty claim, though, waiting this long to ask me to upload the very files I was told to synch over a week ago seems redundant and /or something that could have been done immediately when I was told to synch the files via DJI GO 4 app.  I tried to call support today, went from 21st caller to #5 only to be disconnected.  Called back, I was #32!  Haha,, the Zen Desk is appropriately named.

Yea well the worst part is after waiting on hold for 2 hours the customer service reps tell you they don't have access to the flight logs and the people you need to speak with have to call you back. Yet after 3 rounds of this BS they never call you back. I've disputed the purchase with my credit card at this point, because I can't actually speak to anyone at DJI.
2017-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules